Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #91
Ockrocket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gympieguy View Post
Was going to visit a hermit mate who only lives a few hundred meters from my place for our weekly coffee and was putting my helmet and gloves on but ignored my jacket as it was very humid and thought what the F***, its only a couple of hundred meters so why bother....got a hundred meters up the road and just into 6th gear when a big buck wallaby jumped out from behind a bush on the side of the road. Thankfully we both had good reflexes and as I swerved right, he did a left hand turn millimeters from taking out my front wheel and sending me sliding along the flesh tearing chipseal that makes up our road...figured it was the 'Motorcycle Gods' making sure from now on I wear All The Gear All The Time. Just curious has any one else got similar warnings from the Gods that protect us from our foolishness?

Steve.P
I copped some scratches and a cut and lost a few drops of blood on a trail recently after deciding I was safe enough riding a bush trail.

Hit a patch of sand, ran off the edge of the track in to some hard, dry branches that scraped their way up my left arm.

Had I kept my jacket on, rather than putting it in my top box earlier when I had a snack break, then I wouldn't have been scratched up.

Nothing serious, not even bandaid worthy [just a little "claret" running down to my elbow from my bicep], but definitely a "hint" the MC God's that I was being complacent about where and when I could lose control and end up injured.

Given that I was using my summer mesh jacket that day I probably didn't really need to take it off for riding as it does let a lot of air through.

Signed-
"The other" Steve.P

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #92
Ockrocket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Re-reading some of the posts in this thread reminded me of my ride last Sunday.

Out through Kurrajong, Comleroy Rd, over the Colo on the old wooden bridge, up to the Putty, Wheelbarow Ridge track, StAlbans, Bucketty and back via Wiseman's Ferry.

Normally a good loop with a nice mixture of tar and dirt.

Along the way between Comleroy Rd. and the Putty on the dirt sections I kept coming up behind fire trucks [presumably on a training exercise], although once they spotted me they would attempt to move over and wave me by, somewhat scary given the clouds of dust and steep drop off's in a couple of the passing places.

Then on the Wheelbarrow Ridge Track I had to stop a couple of times to clear fallen trees blocking the track.
At one stage a bloke riding a Strom passed me in full Tarzan gear....runners and shorts, no jacket, no shirt, no gloves, no helmet

With hunger pangs happening and thinking the day couldn't get any more bizarre, I decided some fuel- food and a coffee at Jerry's Cafe at Kulnura was in order.

While sitting enjoying my cappuccino and a pie at the front of the cafe I heard a bang followed by a loud scraping noise, looking up I spotted a rider sliding down the road, closely followed by his bike

It was disappointing to see that only three of us reacted to the initial crash, I was up and running before the rider had even finished his slide down the tar, hot on my heels was a woman who had been standing at the far end of the building.

The pair of us were the first to reach the rider on the other side of the road, followed by his mate [who had been hit from behind by the bloke lying on the road] and a couple of others from cars who stopped and another couple of people who came across from Jerry's.

While the woman and I did our first aid routines others sourced a blanket to shade the downed rider, we called for ice to help keep him cool [it was a hot day] and to use on his now swelling left wrist.

We kept his helmet on as he was concious and breathing easily [never remove a downed rider's helmet unless you have to do CPR, he/she may have neck injuries and you may paralyse the person for life while trying to get the helmet off], no fluids were given [possible internal injuries and perhaps the need for ambo's to give medication mean it is preferable to hold off on giving fluids until a professional medico has assessed the patient] and an ambulance had been called, other riders had stopped and were doing traffic control around the accident scene.

Considering the gear the rider was wearing at the time, he got off fairly lightly.

Helmet, proper bike jacket [which had a hole worn through the shoulder from the slide] ordinary black jeans [holes through both knees, with subsequent grazed and bleeding knees], canvas boat shoes [right one missing and some minor grazing to his ankle I think], lightweight short motorcycle gloves with no real protection in them [grazed hands and possible fractured left wrist].

Though a little battered and bruised, he was basically intact.....when the ambulance turned up they took him to Gosford Hospital.

The mate he ran in to had a bruised left calf muscle but no other injuries as he had managed to keep his bike upright during the impact.

The first bike is a write off, near brand new and no insurance.

The bike he hit had the rear tyre torn open [presumably by a footpeg on the other bike], broken tail light/indicator and damaged left hand mirror.

A compound sequence of minor little things added up to the resulting accident, none of it could really be claimed to be one person's fault.

In an instant a pleasant day ride was turned in to a mess for three riders, the third rider being the father of the one lying on the road with us attending to him.

It CAN happen all too fast.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #93
Metzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
This thread will make sure you wear the gear when riding. I will not ride any bike without the correct gear. Just a lesson learnt the hard way. A bit O carnage with pics
Metzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #94
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I've been VERY fortunate when I've come off. Twice I've bit the tar at road speed. Once my front washed out on me when I hit gravel and after surfing the bike to a halt I had a bent rear brake pedal and a bruised big toe. The second time the front washed out on me when I hit black ice. That time I was wearing full leathers and got a twisted ankle for my trouble. Other times I've come off but at town speeds, but without full gear on and ground holes in my jeans, shirts etc and the skin underneath. It's been just enough to "skool" me into wearing as much gear as I reasonably can on any given ride. Bones might heal and chicks might dig scars but dead is forever. Apparently the process of becoming dead is also uncomfortable.
D_A is online now   Reply With Quote