Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #46
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Get to it, man! We all want to see some RP pics!
Sorry, fellas. I've been busy with the day job.

I've mounted these a few different ways but I only have two examples from bikes I've owned in the past. I try and do mods that function and are also inexpensive. Certainly there are better / more secure ways to mount these, but these are just examples.

This is a set-up I did on my 1150GSA. I don't really need extra fuel but I did a trip to Baja about 8 months ago and wanted to take some along. I did this Pelican / Rotopax trunk for under $100. I got the Pelican used on fleabay and I get factory second Rotopax tanks from the owner who lives near me. I'm selling some of these factory seconds now. . . look below for details.

Basically, I didn't use a mounting plate for this--I just went to Lowes and got a $5 steel plate and cut it down making a square. I sandwiched the bottom of the Pelican with two plates of steel, marked it, and drilled the holes. I put two bolts with butterfly nuts on the bottom (attached to the stock trunk plate), and used the stock bolts that secure the trunk plate to the rear sub-frame. I don't have pics of that right now (I'm out of town for Thanksgiving).

And here's a set-up I did on my 800GS. This bike is still featured on the slide-show pictures on the main rotopax site.

When I get back into town next Monday I can post a tutorial on how I mounted the trunk--complete with regular washers, rubber washers, Rotopax mount and tank.

MY BLACK FRIDAY SALE--PRICES GOOD UNTIL I'M SOLD OUT:

I have about 15 sets of Rotopax factory seconds--these are Red, 1 Gallon tanks. They are unused. You might get one of two imperfections: the outside of the tank might have tiny white bubbles that are practically imperceptible unless I pointed them out. After a couple of uses, you won't see them anyway. 2. Some of the inner-necks are missing some of the coating that the EPA requires on the US tanks. Sometimes these get a little "flakey" I usually wash them out and run with them as-is. Never had a problem.

Also, these come with the Yellow regular spouts, NOT the Eco-Friendly spouts that don't work. If you order from Rotopax, they HAVE to send you Eco spouts, but not me. Ha, suck it EPA.

The mounting hardware is Factory First gear which I don't get discounts on, but I have in stock and can ship as sets (preferred).

Normally I sell the tanks for $35 but my black friday sale is $29.99 for the tank, $25 for the mount.

Shipping for a complete set--tank and mount--$10 standard shipping (parcel post) or $12 PRIORITY with tracking numbers.

I'm out of town but will ship in order of payment first thing Monday.

Paypal is preferred (gift is best, but regular payments are fine too). If you use "gift" be sure and put your shipping address and what you ordered in the notes.

You can PM me, or email me or paypal me directly at davismfg at gmail

Thanks fellas,

Steven
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #47
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Please post. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #48
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Photobucket

Appears that the standard mounting handle is simply attached to the black plate on the frames.
(See photo...2 bolts in center of black plate...handle is on the inside facing the tire).

If that PLATE isn't standard to the frame...was that your question???...then it looks like the owner simply added those 2 brackets at the top and bottom of the frame and then attached the black plate. Otherwise...don't know.

Hope this helps.
Can anyone comment on how this was achieved?
I believe @retrograde explained it for an 1150, but pics are missing and i'm having a hard time imagining how it comes together.

Thanks!
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #49
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
I believe @retrograde explained it for an 1150, but pics are missing and i'm having a hard time imagining how it comes together.

Thanks!
Please see my update post #42 for further explanation of WHAT I think you're asking about.
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #50
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

looking through the thread again I think I'm asking the same questions as @motorman.

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I'm trying to figure out exactly how and which parts were used to mount the pack to the inside of the r1200gs adventure rack.

but now I can't find the picture I was talking about.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #51
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:

Thanks!
Did someone mention dangerous setups? This works great until the brake caliper punches a hole through the bottom.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #52
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
It is my understanding that it should clear the brake caliber. Anyone else have a thought?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #53
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
looking through the thread again I think I'm asking the same questions as @motorman.

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I'm trying to figure out exactly how and which parts were used to mount the pack to the inside of the r1200gs adventure rack.

but now I can't find the picture I was talking about.
HOW:
Attach a plate (as shown in the picture above in Post #48) between the upper and lower arms of the rack.
Attach the standard RotoPax mounting handle Post #42 (facing inwards) to the just installed plate.

PARTS:
Fabricate a custom plate for the adventure rack.
Use the standard RotoPax mounting handle.

NOTE: Make sure that when you order your RotoPax that you get VENTLESS paxs...otherwise you'll have a VENT on the BOTTOM which can leak.
Also...DO NOT USE THE SET UP ON THE LEFT (MUFFLER) SIDE...a leak of any kind near the muffler and you'll have a serious fire potential.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #54
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 424
Took 20 minutes to install and is out of the way

Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #55
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
HOW:
Attach a plate (as shown in the picture above in Post #48) between the upper and lower arms of the rack.
Attach the standard RotoPax mounting handle Post #42 (facing inwards) to the just installed plate.

PARTS:
Fabricate a custom plate for the adventure rack.
Use the standard RotoPax mounting handle.

NOTE: Make sure that when you order your RotoPax that you get VENTLESS paxs...otherwise you'll have a VENT on the BOTTOM which can leak.
Also...DO NOT USE THE SET UP ON THE LEFT (MUFFLER) SIDE...a leak of any kind near the muffler and you'll have a serious fire potential.
Thanks a bunch!
I'll check out of it works on the standard rack.

by the way, are those the 1 gallon gasoline pax?
http://www.rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Gasoline-Set-of-Tw.html
Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #56
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 424
couldn't mount it inside the right rack of my touratech without a spacer or something
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #57
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks a bunch!
I'll check out of it works on the standard rack.

by the way, are those the 1 gallon gasoline pax?
http://www.rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Gasoline-Set-of-Tw.html
Yes...they appear to be the nice compact 1-gallon RotoPax.
Dimensions
9 1/2 L x 13 1/4 W x 3 H
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #58
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

This might also work to attach a support for the back plate? Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #59
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

This might also work to attach a support for the back plate? Any thoughts?
Appears that THAT plate is only attached at the top and is being used to mount a GT Moto Tool tube (now defunct company, btw).
You obviously would have to get ride of the tool tube to mount the RotoPax...your plan correct?

If it were my bike...I'd create a LARGER mounting plate that is attached at BOTH the TOP and BOTTOM of the rack.
Don't know what they're called but I call the CONDUIT clamps with the rubber insert and 1 attaching point. Use those top and bottom and you'll have a much nicer mounting plate.
Much more stability.

BTW...these clamps could be used to mount the plate...they should look very familiar to Vario mount users:
http://www.stauffusa.com/customer/st...mps_Access.pdf

TOP only mounting might induce premature fatigue at the mounting point(s).
And you don't want you RotoPax jettisoning off unexpectedly or BREAKING off ONE of the mounting points shown and becoming entangled in the Wheel!

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 06:58 AM
Old 03-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #60
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,334
Awake to this thread I say!

Still in testing/modification phase.