User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #136
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Mid September Heat

Labour day weekend, I was off the Island riding the BCBATR, a 3 day dual sport event starting in Harrison Hot Springs, BC, and ending there, after doing a giant loop through to the desert and back, almost all the way to Kamloops! It was a seriously fun ride, with probably 80 bikes present. I will have to post those pics on another thread...This is my air filter after 3 days.

September 15th, and it is still baking hot on the island. It has literally not rained for almost three months now, which is extremely unusual. In some places, the dirt had turned to talcum powder like I have never seen here! I headed up Island to Cumberland for a weekend of camping/fishing. The plan was to try and make it by back roads to the set of lakes I visited back in August. By 11:00 it hit about 26C. I had breakfast, and headed for Comox Lake. All new territory for me!

This was from the bridge on Willemar Lake. 5 pound trout were swimming right by my line! Went for a swim too, the water was ice cold! Must be fed by Glaciers up in Strathcona Park.

So I fished this spot for about an hour, when I heard something rolling down the hill and stop....Then I heard a bunch of ratcheting and tinkering, and I thought it must have been mountain bikers. This went on for a while, so I went to see what the matter was. It turned out to be these two guys in a Chevy Suburban who had their battery die on them, and it being an automatic, could not bump start. They were in the process of winching their beast off of the main trail. They asked if I had a volt meter, which of course I didn't. So I continued fishing, expecting to be heading back to Cumberland to get them help at some point. I would never leave someone out this far, without doing something if it was needed! We were 35 kms out, after all.
I guess they figured out it was something that came loose, not allowing the battery to charge. So they asked me optomistically if I thought my DRZ could jump start an "87 Suburban! This was taking a risk of being stuck out there with them, because of my rev-loc clutch not allowing me to bump start either! Nonetheless, we hooked up the cables, and let it charge their battery with my bike running for 10 minutes or so. One of them turned the keys, lights came on, turned it over, the lights flickered, and it fired right up!

Immediately, a $10 bill, and two beers were shoved into my hands for rescuing them! They were chill guys, Aaron and Guillaume were their names, along with their Boxer, "Yukon". It turns out we were headed the same direction, so I scouted ahead of them on an overgrown section of trails on the edge of Strathcona Park. It was good to stick together, it was getting dark early, they knew where we were going, and had a spot picked out for camping. There was lots of lots of food and drink to go around, and I had spark for their beast if it failed again. We became friends no problem!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 06:08 AM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #137
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 251
Awesome stuff thanks so much for the great pics and new rides
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #138
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

So this is mid-September, I still can't believe how nice it is! We camped out at Mcglaughlin Lake, a spot I will definitely be returning to, and it's just up the road from Ash Lake!

IMG_2651

I had my fishing rig ready, and it turned out the guys came ready for trolling! The 8X12 foot wharf had a transom, and out of their truck, they pulled out a 25 horse motor! Guillaume reminded us that technically, any vessel over ten horse must be registered! Imagine numbers on this old thing! It was perfect for trolling however, just dont give it any power, or the front starts to dive!

IMG_2655

The wildlife was friendly too.

IMG_2665

IMG_2681

IMG_2670

We caught over a dozen fish by trolling over a few hrs, All in all, it was a great weekend, exceptional indian summer weather, great fishing, and I met some cool people up island! I hope to meet up with Aaron and Guillaume again one day,its good to have a few fishing/camping buddies. I'm sure they could show me lots of sights on the north end of the island. we exchanged info, in hopes of meeting up again, maybe next summer. Sure hope so, it was a blast!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #139
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

And the next weekend, fall fell on us like that! Instantly we had torrents of rain! The Cowichan river had been dangerously low for the fall spawn, so much so, that they shut it down completely to fishing for the first time ever. The rains came just in time.

All random fall photos here.

IMG_2850

IMG_2854

IMG_2857

IMG_2864

IMG_2876

IMG_3123

IMG_3126

IMG_3129
Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #140
roglsa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
very nice pics buddy

wish I was there
roglsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #141
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by roglsa View Post
very nice pics buddy

wish I was there
You're gonna get those 50/50 tires for the F650 this year, right?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #142
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Nice perspective - looks lush.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #143
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Thanks! Just overhauled the whole bike last weekend, and got a mechanic to adjust the valves and install a new cam chain the week before! She just purrs now! I also got them to swap my clutch back to the stock one, from the Rev-loc semi-auto....That will be a bit of a learning curve again on the trail!
And like you say, it's Lush here... When I was going over everything, I found water in most of my bearings, water in the fork oil, water in the linkage bearings, and will have to replace them again, along with rear wheel bearings..... I replaced my steering bearings when I did my fork oil, and now the steering feels loose to me! I guess the rusty old ones were a bit of a steering damper!

Sometimes I crave a drier climate! Been to the Okanagan, but I need to see some real desert one day! I can't wait to do a longer adventure somewhere completely different from what I'm used to!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 02:25 AM
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #144
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Surprised the bush was open with it that dry, I was up in wells grey and the Chilcotin at that time last year, and it sure was amazing global warming weather up there too.

That looks like a great weekend destination for a fishing trip from Victoria
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #145
Open Gate
New to ADv

Oddometer: 2
Laugh Vancouver Island

Hello - fairly new to this Forum. I short introduction, First Bike was a Yamaha TT500. Im not even sure what year but it was but it had a decompresion leaver that I found after it bucked me off while kick starting and nearly broke my ankle. That was back in 1978 and the Yamaha was a rundown beat up bike then. But I was HOOKED.

Since then I have owned most brands and both Sport, Cruiser, Dirt, Dual Sport and Adventure .

Anyway Im alot older now and have 3 kids. The eldest is alomost 19 and is on his second Bike. My Daughter road dirt bikes with me when she was 13 and was fearless but now likes Boys better than Bikes ( Where did I go Wrong)

Anyway I've said that to say this, My son and I are planing our second Road trip from Calgary AB to Vancouver Island and back. A mix if Camping and Hotels . Should be a 5 day trip with 2-3 days on the Island.

So Any advice regarding routs and camp sites would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Open Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #146
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

[QUOTE=Open Gate;20977655
Any advice regarding routs and camp sites would be greatly appriciated.
[/QUOTE]
First things first, get yourself the "Backroads Mapbook" for Vancouver Island. Well worth the 24 bucks! Even tells you what the fishing is like!If you're coming in through Victoria I'd say it's mandatory to do "The Circle Route" or at least 3/4's of it and head north at Duncan. It follows the coast all the way to Port Renfrew, then inland to Lake Cowichan. I'd recommend the old highway (Old Lake Cowichan Rd.) over the main highway heading out of Lake Cowichan, it's much more twisty!

As for camping, theres lots of provincial pay sites,Mystic beach is nice, Sombrio Beach is nice, and there's lots of little lakes north of Port Alberni on forest land that are great bush sites if that's what you're into. Go explore the bush anywhere on the Island and you'll find a place to camp for sureif that's your style. I could spend the rest of my life exploring the bush here and not see it all.

Be on alert for logging trucks 7 days a week here, and another thing, they can be a lot wider traveling in the bush, than when they are on the highway! Have fun!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #147
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Looks like I'm 5 months behind on the RR as usual these days.... Well, Here's winter!

Oliphant

I threw tennis ball sized rocks through on my end!

And I finally got some decent lights!!!

And machined a jerry can mount at work.

At some point in February, I made it out to Wild Deer lake, barely!

On the way..

On the way Back!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 09:15 AM
Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #148
Markaso del Norte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I know where that is, was there last week on my Vstrom
Markaso del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #149
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Early Spring, and the last of winter melts away...

Near Lake Cowichan. Everything is super soggy right now. 2 weeks ago there was a foot of snow out this way.. I'll check this one out again after it dries out a bit...It goes on for a good ways along the river.

Great fishing on the Cowichan, it feels like cheating sometimes!!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 09:26 AM
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #150
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Went down Highway 14 for something to do, found a big pipe feeding a hydro plant. Neat, but kind of boring...

IMG_0938

Passed over the new bridge on the way to Port Renfrew without realizing it! I miss the old one so I thought i'd check it out.

IMG_0941

And, its gone........Evidently, someone has staked a gold claim here as well!

IMG_0944

Come on Spring, I know you're out there!

IMG_0950