User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
1999 Ford E-350 7.3L Diesel 4x4

Thanks to a friend of mine, I had the idea to buy a van and make it 4WD. That was 2 or 3 years ago. Then I was married, and had lots of bills. As luck has it, my wife found a younger hotter version of me. Sounds bad right? Nope. Now I have no bills and nothing holding me to well, anything.

The one bad thing about the divorce was I ended up with nothing. Which is fine because I have no bills. And when I mean nothing, I mean nothing. Including no vechile. The only I left with was clothes and tools.

Enough of that.

So I bought a old Ford truck to hold me over until I found a van. I just scored a killer deal on a van in VA.

1999 Ford E-350 7.3L diesel with 300k miles. Well maintained, so the miles mean nothing. If I can get 50k more out of it before a rebuild, I'll be more than happy.

Here is my starting point:

And what I want when it's finished:

Special thanks to user klinquist on here and a few other guys.

I am going to make this van as loud and nasty as possible. Including custom built bumpers by me, 6" lift, straight pipe exhaust and 80hp tune. Full interior work, and spray on bed liner on the outside. Yes, the whole van.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,829
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Nice rig.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Thanks to a friend of mine, I had the idea to buy a van and make it 4WD. That was 2 or 3 years ago. Then I was married, and had lots of bills. As luck has it, my wife found a younger hotter version of me. Sounds bad right? Nope. Now I have no bills and nothing holding me to well, anything.

The one bad thing about the divorce was I ended up with nothing. Which is fine because I have no bills. And when I mean nothing, I mean nothing. Including no vechile. The only I left with was clothes and tools.

Enough of that.

So I bought a old Ford truck to hold me over until I found a van. I just scored a killer deal on a van in VA.

1999 Ford E-350 7.3L diesel with 300k miles. Well maintained, so the miles mean nothing. If I can get 50k more out of it before a rebuild, I'll be more than happy.

Here is my starting point:

And what I want when it's finished:

Special thanks to user klinquist on here and a few other guys.

I am going to make this van as loud and nasty as possible. Including custom built bumpers by me, 6" lift, straight pipe exhaust and 80hp tune. Full interior work, and spray on bed liner on the outside. Yes, the whole van.

If you keep the oil,air and fuel clean that van will outlive us both.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
225 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
If you keep the oil,air and fuel clean that van will outlive us both.
I am a boat captain on the river. And that is true for our boats. I plan on getting aftermarket coolant, fuel and oil filters. And I am a stickler about maintenance. So hopefully she will.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,218
I dig it!

I came so close to building a 4x4 diesel van when I lived in Alaska. Every time I went anywhere, I had a load of people, gear and was towing something. Furthermore, whatever we were doing, it required a clothing change either before or after and a van would have been the perfect answer.

Get building!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
I am going to make this van as loud as possible. straight pipe exhaust and 80hp tune.
Did that once, not straight-piped but almost...big mistake.

Think about the amplifying effects of the interior of a big bass drum and then imagine driving around while inside of it.

Just saying....buy some good ear plugs.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 1,989
contact UJoint Offroad. I think he's around Ashville, NC

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ujointoffroad
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Count me in.
.fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
225 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
contact UJoint Offroad. I think he's around Ashville, NC

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ujointoffroad
That's actually who I'm using.

The interior is going to be completely covered in dyna mat. And then insulation, then carpet. So it shouldn't be TOO loud.

Today I ordered the exhaust, newer style center console, passenger window, KN filter, and SCT tuner.

And I am going to check out a set of axles next week.

AND, I am going to spray the whole van in Rhino liner LOL.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
That's actually who I'm using.

The interior is going to be completely covered in dyna mat. And then insulation, then carpet. So it shouldn't be TOO loud.

Today I ordered the exhaust, newer style center console, passenger window, KN filter, and SCT tuner.

And I am going to check out a set of axles next week.

AND, I am going to spray the whole van in Rhino liner LOL.
oh, on the tuner, I know everybody has an opinion but I've been tickled pink with the DPTuner I installed on my old man's 7.3 F350. I've got the 80 HP "Economy" tune for running around town and it feels like somebody installed a second engine. Call Jody Tipton and give him the serial number. He'll do a custom tune for you that just plain works!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Oddometer: 59
Cool2

I don't know how far into this build you are, but I thought I would toss in some thoughts.

I currently have a 97 F350 and have been back and forth about going into a 4x4 van with a lot of research, including a complete axle set built up in my garage with lockers, gears, tires, wheels and lift kit. The debate in my head is to put them on the truck or buy a van.

Nothing against Ujoint's set up, but I would consider going with Colorado Conversion Van.
- It uses the 05+ F350 Axle, Radius Arm, Spring, Trac Bar
=Larger Brakes
=Increased track width front and rear (more stable)
=Much better turning radius due to wider front axle plus the tires do not hit the leaf springs
- Plug and play with the 00-03 E250/350 ABS ECU
- Easier to find in junk yard than the leaf spring sometimes

http://coloradocampervan.com/4X4_Con...onversion.html

This set up is also what Salem Kroger uses and is similar to what Quigley is doing. But it does not use the custom fab radius arms like Quigley rather lots of off the shelf parts. CCV uses F series diesel coil springs for a 4" lift. When last I had talked to Derek at CCV, he was close to having brackets that would bolt onto the E frame and allow bolt up of these axles.

Why did I look at this thread, I am going to look at Autotrader now.

Cheers, Chris
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
In
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
nwcycle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Great choice for the 7.3, but do you really want to throw that kind of coin into a van with 300K
not that the engine wont do another 150 easy, its just that by the time you throw all that time, cost and effort into it, along with working bugs out along the way, you might as well find a Quigly,
I have 3 7.3 trucks right now, each one has been awesome, My e350 box truck has about 300 on it with still the stock original E4OD weak link in it, I am an avid AMSOIL user, and religiously do each change when do, seldom going over the intervals...
When it had around 200 it got the best MPG, dont know why, but seems that its broke in by then :)

Good luck with your project...
Have fun, and keep the pics of progress coming also !!!!
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,218
I have a bunch of Roadkill (similar but other brand to Dynamat); could probably make you a deal but its heavy, thus expensive to ship.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: