Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #13083
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaiku232 View Post
If you would like to know the true dangers and wonders of Mexico, look us up at
This is gonna end well. lol

Johnny Drunkard screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 05:12 AM Reason: Spam link removed
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #13084
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaiku232 View Post
If you would like to know the true dangers and wonders of Mexico, look us up at
From the link:

Belongs in Vendors

Edit: Cleanup complete. Link is gone.

tricepilot screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 08:45 AM Reason: Link removed
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #13085
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,591
Here's some free is Chicago safe data.

http://www.theworld.org/2013/02/joaq...ic-enemy-no-1/

I guess if I want to ride somewhere where the cops are crooked, the politicians are paid off, and a guy called Chapo calls the shots, I can just take a trip to Chicago! I here there's pretty good Mexican food and a Mexican style weekend mercado there too.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #13086
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,690
Still Down In Guatemala City

My moto is still in the shop here in Guatemala City. I was told last Tuesday that they would put Priority on it since I was on a three month moto tour, but I have not yet seen any priority. Wednesday, I was told that their computer could not find the problem, because of the electrical accessories I have added to the moto. I immediately told them that I could dis-connect everything in 20 nor 30 minutes, but they did not want me to do that, but said it would take MANY hours to find the bad wire. They also said at that time that the moto was running fine now, but that they could not guarantee its reliability. They had determined that it was not the Halls Sensor or the Moronic and had balanced the throttle bodies and maybe adjusted the throttle position senor, I am not sure about the sensor.. Friday, I was told that it could be Tuesday before it was ready and I again suggested that I dis-connect the accessories, but only received a response that the wires were very delicate. Saturday, the shop manager was not there or not available, but I was told by someone else that it would be Tuesday before it was ready. I was also told it was being worked on 100% of the time. I have been in the shop area twice, neither time was anyone working on my moto. Seems a bit strange to me that you can have someone working 100% on a moto supposedly looking for a single bad wire and predict on Friday that it will not be ready till the following Tuesday and that is after working on it for over two days. I am sure that they will fix my moto, I suspect it may have already been fixed and is just sitting in the shop accumulating LABOR hours, but of course I don't know this for sure and I certainly cannot prove it, so all I can say with certainty is that I am not at all comfortable with the communication I am having with BMW Guatemala City.

Hoping to be on the road soon.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #13087
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Sounds like it would be cheaper to fly Hank to Guat City
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #13088
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Sounds like it would be cheaper to fly Hank to Guat City
Certainly faster, I expect.

United Flight 1500 from Houston 9:36am arriving Guatemala City 12:36pm
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #13089
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
My moto is still in the shop here in Guatemala City. I was told last Tuesday that they would put Priority on it since I was on a three month moto tour, but I have not yet seen any priority. Wednesday, I was told that their computer could not find the problem, because of the electrical accessories I have added to the moto. I immediately told them that I could dis-connect everything in 20 nor 30 minutes, but they did not want me to do that, but said it would take MANY hours to find the bad wire. They also said at that time that the moto was running fine now, but that they could not guarantee its reliability. They had determined that it was not the Halls Sensor or the Moronic and had balanced the throttle bodies and maybe adjusted the throttle position senor, I am not sure about the sensor.. Friday, I was told that it could be Tuesday before it was ready and I again suggested that I dis-connect the accessories, but only received a response that the wires were very delicate. Saturday, the shop manager was not there or not available, but I was told by someone else that it would be Tuesday before it was ready. I was also told it was being worked on 100% of the time. I have been in the shop area twice, neither time was anyone working on my moto. Seems a bit strange to me that you can have someone working 100% on a moto supposedly looking for a single bad wire and predict on Friday that it will not be ready till the following Tuesday and that is after working on it for over two days. I am sure that they will fix my moto, I suspect it may have already been fixed and is just sitting in the shop accumulating LABOR hours, but of course I don't know this for sure and I certainly cannot prove it, so all I can say with certainty is that I am not at all comfortable with the communication I am having with BMW Guatemala City.

Hoping to be on the road soon.
I would be suspect of the repairs done earlier, not being good repairs, or actually screwing something else up.

Did they actually replace the hall sensor previously, with a NEW out of the box unit? Or did they just repair the old unit? If they just repaired, I would check the quality of the repair- another wire could have gone bad.

Since you had some suspect fuel issues, I'd begin to wonder about the fuel injectors, if the hall sensor can be guaranteed as good. Did one get plugged up? A fuel injection guy should have a tester to see if the injector is getting a 'fire' signal. Heck, pull out the injector and see if it sprays while cranking. (um, don't smoke just then- BOOM!) If the injector is getting a good signal but the engine stumbles, then the injector or upstream fuel supply should be suspect. My knowledge is that the hall sensor controls both the spark plug firing and the injector 'firing' fuel into the intake. Mr Hall not being schizoid is vitally important to making your bike run correctly.

Remember, there are good mechanics that actually know and understand what's going on, and can intelligently diagnose problems. Then there are mechanics that are just as stupid as the rest of us, and simply know how to swap parts around.............. and maybe get lucky.

Really, if you have a good battery and a separate fuse block, your lights, gps, etc shouldn't have shit to do with your bike running badly. Its probably just a few too many wires running all over the place, maybe in a slightly disorganized manner.

Hopefully, someone has checked the obvious 'throttle cable out of position on the injection body' problem.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #13090
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oh, and by the way, if you're riding a R1100GS, their %$@# computer ain't gonna find nothing. Maybe I'm reading my 1100 service manual wrong, but I don't think there's even a diagnostic port on the wiring harness. There's a magic bmw black box that will tell you if the hall sensor is putting out a signal, but its not a computer- just a blinky box.

Motohank can correct me, but there is no OBD2 port or GS911 type readable computer port on an 1100. The moronic brain is an 80s/early 90s technology that measures air temp, oil temp, where the crank is in the timing cycle, maybe a few other parameters, and tells the fuel injectors when to fire, and the spark coil when to light everything off. Compared to today's bike and car computers, the R1100 box is Cousin Eddie.

If there's a computer involved in diagnosing your bike, I'm afraid they may have mistaken you Donnie for a mushroom. They're feeding you shit and keeping you in the dark. (not an insult aimed at you Donnie)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #13091
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Mark, I think the port on an R1100GS is under the rider or passenger seat. But Googling an R11 is supposed to have Motronic 2.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #13092
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
I would be suspect of the repairs done earlier, not being good repairs, or actually screwing something else up.

Did they actually replace the hall sensor previously, with a NEW out of the box unit? Or did they just repair the old unit? If they just repaired, I would check the quality of the repair- another wire could have gone bad.

Since you had some suspect fuel issues, I'd begin to wonder about the fuel injectors, if the hall sensor can be guaranteed as good. Did one get plugged up? A fuel injection guy should have a tester to see if the injector is getting a 'fire' signal. Heck, pull out the injector and see if it sprays while cranking. (um, don't smoke just then- BOOM!) If the injector is getting a good signal but the engine stumbles, then the injector or upstream fuel supply should be suspect. My knowledge is that the hall sensor controls both the spark plug firing and the injector 'firing' fuel into the intake. Mr Hall not being schizoid is vitally important to making your bike run correctly.

Remember, there are good mechanics that actually know and understand what's going on, and can intelligently diagnose problems. Then there are mechanics that are just as stupid as the rest of us, and simply know how to swap parts around.............. and maybe get lucky.

Really, if you have a good battery and a separate fuse block, your lights, gps, etc shouldn't have shit to do with your bike running badly. Its probably just a few too many wires running all over the place, maybe in a slightly disorganized manner.

Hopefully, someone has checked the obvious 'throttle cable out of position on the injection body' problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Oh, and by the way, if you're riding a R1100GS, their %$@# computer ain't gonna find nothing. Maybe I'm reading my 1100 service manual wrong, but I don't think there's even a diagnostic port on the wiring harness. There's a magic bmw black box that will tell you if the hall sensor is putting out a signal, but its not a computer- just a blinky box.

Motohank can correct me, but there is no OBD2 port or GS911 type readable computer port on an 1100. The moronic brain is an 80s/early 90s technology that measures air temp, oil temp, where the crank is in the timing cycle, maybe a few other parameters, and tells the fuel injectors when to fire, and the spark coil when to light everything off. Compared to today's bike and car computers, the R1100 box is Cousin Eddie.

If there's a computer involved in diagnosing your bike, I'm afraid they may have mistaken you Donnie for a mushroom. They're feeding you shit and keeping you in the dark. (not an insult aimed at you Donnie)
The BMW shop told me that the Hall Sensor was OK, as well as the 1996 R1100gs's motronic. They told me Wednesday morning after they hooked their computer to my moto that it was running good and that they had balanced the throttle bodies. They said there was a bad wire somewhere that needed to be found. They said their computer could not talk to my computer because of the extra electrical accessories I have

I did not mention it in the first post, but as soon as the staff found out where my moto is they warned me that this was not an honest shop. As I began to have suspicions about the service I am receiving, I began to ask question of the staff, including the manager. This is what I have been told, two Germans that have been on the road for two years left their motos at this shop to be checked over. When they went to get their motos, they were presented with a bill of $5,000US. The Germans, being familiar with their motos began checking them over and found many cases where they were being charged for parts that had not been changed. They German riders had some type connection with BMW and called Germany. No one knows what the exact out come to this situation was. Some can say this is hear-say, but I have been told essentially the same story by three different staff members, including the manager

The Hostel Manger called an English speaking person from the store this morning. The manger here went to school with this man named Jose Andres Pinto. Jose had done some translating for me when I was first at the shop. He seems to be a very nice fellow. His title is Instructor Guia, what ever that is. He has promised an update at 10:00 Monday morning..
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #13093
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Well, that's a bag of rotten tomatos
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #13094
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
They said their computer could not talk to my computer because of the extra electrical accessories I have
Can you disconnect your farkles?

If you need something sent from the US, let us know. I'm in LA, I'll run to any BMW shop you need and send something on.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #13095
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
If you need something sent from the US, let us know. I'm in LA, I'll run to any BMW shop you need and send something on.
Roundtrip flights to LA are under $600 too.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote