Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #1411
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Gibson's Robot tuning system has been doing this for a few years now (since 07?). It's really not caught on much
Completely different system. Instead of the spotty mechanical tuners that Gibson introduced, this one is done with an internal chip from Antares Audio, the guys that make bad pop singers sound good. The big advantage over a mechanical version is that your string tension doesn't change and, unlike mechanical operations, this actually compensates for intonation problems associated with drop tuning. The Gibson Robot does nothing for that.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #1412
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
If you do alternate tunings, you should really check one of these out. Good enough playing guitar, but the big deal is that your intonation is always perfect, regardless as to the tuning. Easy to switch back and forth on tunings.
Not exactly alternate, its just drop A, more or less standard in baritone.

Really it should be B-E-A-D-G-B, just raised the last string from B to C because there is no real point to having the 3rd step gap without a high E under it, and dropped the B>A not terrible exotic a la the "cashmir" tuning.

However, the intonation and set-up needed to be completely redone because going from .10-.48 to .18-.70 was a bit much for the neck....even before I put the phone line sized string on it

Considering I've had that guitar since I was 17 or so it feels REALLY weird now.

Quote:
Completely different system. Instead of the spotty mechanical tuners that Gibson introduced, this one is done with an internal chip from Antares Audio, the guys that make bad pop singers sound good. The big advantage over a mechanical version is that your string tension doesn't change and, unlike mechanical operations, this actually compensates for intonation problems associated with drop tuning. The Gibson Robot does nothing for that.

Its still not that hard to account for drop tunes, its just a matter of putzing around with the intonation/string sizes. My Eagle has a 25" scale neck anyway, that is why I used it. My other two electrics are shorter scales.

Its not a Strictly 7 twenty-26 fretter, but it seem pretty consistent all the way up the neck.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #1413
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,532
Sold the Seagull S6 and picked up this used Blueridge BR-341. Parlor size with a nice wide nut for my fat fingers and fingerstyle blues.

GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #1414
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
I played one of these guitars with the digital chip in it last year or the year before at a local music shop. It was neat that there were no moving parts and it had guaranteed intonation. I thought it was a Roland chip (maybe?)...can't remember. Very expensive, but seemed like a good idea for someone who played for a living or had more money than they knew what to do with.

It's cool to see what tech they're using on the latest stuff.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #1415
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Beginner electric

I'm new to guitar and have been "playing" a Takamine acoustic and a loaner strat copy for about 6 weeks. The electric is nice for playing quietly after the kids are in bed. I'll need to give the loaner back and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't need anything great, but I'd like it to play OK. I'd been leaning toward a Fender Squier Bullet, but see the Ibanez GRG120BDX on sale for $119 at Guitar Center. Can anyone tell me how those two compare, or why I might like one over another?

Thanks!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #1416
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I'm new to guitar and have been "playing" a Takamine acoustic and a loaner strat copy for about 6 weeks. The electric is nice for playing quietly after the kids are in bed. I'll need to give the loaner back and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't need anything great, but I'd like it to play OK. I'd been leaning toward a Fender Squier Bullet, but see the Ibanez GRG120BDX on sale for $119 at Guitar Center. Can anyone tell me how those two compare, or why I might like one over another?

Thanks!
It's subjective. At that price point (new) you're not getting anything great, but if you like the way it feels, it stays in tune and is intonated then it's a good guitar. Buy the one you like the feel of best. Buy the one you'll play the most.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #1417
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post

Thanks!
If you'll jump up your spending by just 70-80 bucks, you can get a better playing guitar. The two we've been carrying in that price range that have been a step up in quality compared to the Bullet and the GRG are a couple of Strat copies from AXL and SVK. Either one, IMHO, has a better fit and finish than the Fenders and Ibanez's in that same price range. And yes, I'm an Ibanez and Fender Bullet dealer, so I'm not just pushing the brands I happen to carry.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #1418
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
Not a guitar, but I picked up a really cool gadget last week, a Zoom G3X effects/looper. Basically, it's a digital processing stompbox with hundreds of effects and amp models, as well as a built-in drum machine and 40-second looper with overdubbing capability, and even a tuner. It has patch uploads for creating effects, and a wah pedal that is programmable. I'm pretty new to this sort of stuff and barely scratching the surface, but this thing is a blast! Great fun to find a cool drum beat and loop a rhythm guitar riff, and then play solo tracks over it. I think I can figure out a way to dump it all into the iPad version of Garage Band and do some multi-track recording. For less than $200 I can't think of a more entertaining guitar accessory. As soon as I get more proficient with it I'll upload something.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #1419
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,405
Anyone know where the new Fender "Standard" telecasters are made? I see a bunch in ads from GC and Musicians friend, but don't know if they are chinese, Mexican, Japanese etc.

The few MIM tele's I've seen seem to be pretty well made, and I'm sort of looking...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #1420
Paul_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I bought a new standard Tele last year. Made in Mexico.

I don't like it.

I love it.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #1421
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
I bought a new standard Tele last year. Made in Mexico.

I don't like it.

I love it.

I was looking for used (ebay, etc.), but the prices used MIM Tele's are bringing are almost the same as new.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1422
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
If you'll jump up your spending by just 70-80 bucks, you can get a better playing guitar. The two we've been carrying in that price range that have been a step up in quality compared to the Bullet and the GRG are a couple of Strat copies from AXL and SVK. Either one, IMHO, has a better fit and finish than the Fenders and Ibanez's in that same price range. And yes, I'm an Ibanez and Fender Bullet dealer, so I'm not just pushing the brands I happen to carry.
Thanks. I'm not married to that price range, I just want to get something fairly cheap to keep playing while I learn enough to know what I really want. I'll check out some other options. I'm also not married to the strat/copy style.

Right now I enjoy the sound of the acoustic more but the ability to play quietly makes an electric make sense for me to have around.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #1423
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

I was looking for used (ebay, etc.), but the prices used MIM Tele's are bringing are almost the same as new.
I also have a Standard Tele, made in Mexico. Its a fantastic guitar
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #1424
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
I also have a Standard Tele, made in Mexico. Its a fantastic guitar
you guys are killing me.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #1425
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
The folks at Anderton's did a blindfolded Tele test. Look it up on YouTube. You guys oughta try it.

After a lot of back and forth over the years, I like gear and discussing what it can do, but you will invariably sound like you, through plywood or poplar.

However, new gear usually pushes me in a different musical direction. I got my SG and started adding country licks to things. But that doesn't mean an SG is the best guitar for country. I feel now that the best guitar for you is the one you're playing, unless you don't think so. Then, uh, it's not anymore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: