Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #151
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyouth4366 View Post
Do I need to connect this to a male plug that fits into what looks like the female switched power outlet?
Simply cut the female end off the lead in the picture, solder the power wire from your accessory outlet you bought to the black/white wire in your picture, and then solder in the ground wire from the accessory outlet to the brown/ground wire.

Easy, peazy, Japanezzy.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #152
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
My routine for managing my elec. output/battery life is this:
When super cold I'll be running everything up at 100%, the Gerbing draws 77 watts at 100%. Heated grips on HIGH (about 30 watts). That about expends ALL of the DR's extra Watts. My 35W HID light saves 20 Watts.

Daylight riding in super cold on a longer ride I switch off my headlight. (this is optional, as on certain roads running your headlight can be a safety issue) At night, no choice, head light must be ON. But if you can turn off headlight in daylight ... that's another 35W to 55W free saving. (depending which bulb type you're using)

Any time I come into a town or area with speed reduction I switch OFF all accessories. I try to minimize brake light & turn signal use. At low RPM engine is charging LESS ... so going slow? Accessories OFF.

Remember: Your battery may discharge some if you are over taxing it and discharging .... BUT ... once accessories are switched OFF ... you battery will recover! (providing it's reasonably healthy)

I've gone from a dead batt that would not turn over the motor to one that cranks ... in just 20 minutes of riding with accessories OFF.

So, even if your Batt gets low or goes dead ... it will come back in most cases. Just manage your accessories.
I finally got the correct headlight bulb from DDM Tuning, and just to make things easier on myself in the future, I had them send me a spare bulb for $12 extra. What I think is extremely nice about the 35watt setup, is I can turn the headlight off by simply engaging the "bright" switch on the left handlebar. Yes, technically I no longer have a "bright" option, but the low-beam HID setting from the DDM kit is far brighter and cleaner than the original "bright" setting anyway.

I had been wanting to install some type of switch that would allow me to turn the headlight off, and the DDM kit kills two birds with one stone. Simple installation (when you order the correct bulb)...
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #153
wastedyouth4366
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Simply cut the female end off the lead in the picture, solder the power wire from your accessory outlet you bought to the black/white wire in your picture, and then solder in the ground wire from the accessory outlet to the brown/ground wire.

Easy, peazy, Japanezzy.
Awesome, thank you! Now I just need to pick up a soldering iron and get to it.
wastedyouth4366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #154
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I finally got the correct headlight bulb from DDM Tuning, and just to make things easier on myself in the future, I had them send me a spare bulb for $12 extra. What I think is extremely nice about the 35watt setup, is I can turn the headlight off by simply engaging the "bright" switch on the left handlebar. Yes, technically I no longer have a "bright" option, but the low-beam HID setting from the DDM kit is far brighter and cleaner than the original "bright" setting anyway.

I had been wanting to install some type of switch that would allow me to turn the headlight off, and the DDM kit kills two birds with one stone. Simple installation (when you order the correct bulb)...
Exactly!
I had already wired in an ON/OFF switch before installing my HID. The HID made my switch redundant. Just switch to HI beam to switch off headlight.
Good to have for starting ... or when running accessories in daylight.

Amazing thing about the HID is no one flashes me ... yet I can see three times further on a dark road. Win Win Win.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #155
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:

Easy, peazy, Japanezzy.
They could also cut that female plug off and attach those wires to a power distribution block's input ports. Then they could attach their accessory-plug wires to one of the sets of output ports. Any other low-amperage switched items they want to power could be wired from this distribution block.

I'd check the amperage rating for that plug's circuit before wiring in a bunch of stuff though.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #156
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,193
Start squeal noise and fixes
http://www.fy-yff.com/2011/08/squeak...-easy-fix.html
http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall...tarter_fix.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832297
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #157
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Turn signal Help Please

I installed LED turn signals front and rear. Also installed an electronic turn signal flasher from CustomeLED, Lights come on fine no issues, however all four light up at once when you select one side or the other.....

with out going overboard on technical mumbo jumbo can someone give me some troubleshooting ideas please?
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #158
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

and I'm trying to connect it to:
[/QUOTE]

ah ha......that's whats that's for.....cig lighter....worked good for power for GPS RAM mount........
Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #159
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,705
^^^^^ That might be the most famous DR650 photo on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
I installed LED turn signals front and rear. Also installed an electronic turn signal flasher from CustomeLED, Lights come on fine no issues, however all four light up at once when you select one side or the other.....

with out going overboard on technical mumbo jumbo can someone give me some troubleshooting ideas please?
Try unplugging the turn signal indicator light (up by the key). If that works, you probably need to do the diode kit. (I'm happy with incandescent flashers, they aren't on long enough to matter.)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #160
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=
Try unplugging the turn signal indicator light (up by the key). If that works, you probably need to do the diode kit. (I'm happy with incandescent flashers, they aren't on long enough to matter.)[/QUOTE]

Well that worked......what is the diode kit? of course though one issue leads to another, the right rear light isn't work screw it for today....don't need turn signals for the woods.....ride and fix it later.

thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #161
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,705
Diode Wiring for LED turn signals (dash indicator light): Here ya go, 4th post:
http://drriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=...=unread#unread

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 12:49 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #162
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
DR died

My 2006 DR650se (52K miles) died several times in the last month, requiring the bike be hauled home. Just riding along, it died, like turning the key off. I read, talked and begged for input from friends. Last evening I found the problem.

The number plate was off, providing access to the wires at the headlight. When the engine would die, the nuetral light would get very dim. I happened to brush my hand over the plug coming from the kill switch. The wire was VERY hot, with the insulation starting to sag... just about a melt down.

I killed the key power and traced the wire to the left side of the bike under the side plate, just below the rectifier. The wire was worn 1/2 way thru and shorting to the frame. Fixed it by stripping insulation off enough to solder the frayed wire, taped it up and put on some plastic wire sheath as protection from future problems.

Rode it to work today with no problems.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #163
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Wow! Good work Dave! Those are the kind of mystery failures that can be very hard to pin down! Too few of us check our wiring looms for abrading against metal. I also see some wear on my loom up around the central frame tube around the steering head. In places I've wrapped a bit of bicycle tube in critical areas. Not noticed any abrading near the rectifier/regulator ... but will FOR SURE look in that area now.

This kind of thing could cause a fire ... and really ruin your whole day. So glad you got to it before any damage was done!
Plus One for good maintenance!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #164
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
aux connectors

I posted on DRRIDERS to no avail. I swear I've seen this posted before, but googling hasn't helped me.

Can anyone help me with the type, or preferably source to purchase, the male connector for the 2 Auxiliary switched power plugs: 1 in headlight bundle, the other somewhere under seat/ near shock?

i thought I found it on Eastern Beaver (where else?) but wasn't 100%.

TIA!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #165
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Wires abraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Wow! Good work Dave! Those are the kind of mystery failures that can be very hard to pin down! Too few of us check our wiring looms for abrading against metal. I also see some wear on my loom up around the central frame tube around the steering head. In places I've wrapped a bit of bicycle tube in critical areas. Not noticed any abrading near the rectifier/regulator ... but will FOR SURE look in that area now.

This kind of thing could cause a fire ... and really ruin your whole day. So glad you got to it before any damage was done!
Plus One for good maintenance!
Thanks Adv Grifter. Guess I should get a photo and post it. The wear spot was where the four wires come out of the harness and were rubbing on the frame tube that goes up and back below the rectifier.

er70s-2 took this nice photo showing the wires next to the frame tube. All DR riders should check this spot before the bike dies on the side of the road like mine.

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 05:15 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote