Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Cutter View Post
Two of us did the AB last year and left Cober with 83 lts each on 950SE and used 70lts to Ilurka.$3 a liter for Opel crap and no water for the first 650 ks.Good hard sand ride.
The Tanami will be a long stretch as well without Rabbit Flat?
Did you come across much traffic on the ABH, how about a couple of pics of your bike setup.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Plans

Hi snowypete
How is the planning and preparation going?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #33
LaudJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowypete View Post

Collingwood will be on track for back to back flags.
Let us hope your CSR trip has a greater chance of success than the Colliwobbles in premierships.

Collingwood have played in 43 grand finals, I can't remember how many they have won but given the most successful side is Essendon with 16 and Collingwood has less it would indicate a success rate of only 1 in 3 attempts (rounded).
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hi Gnarly Laudy - J

Its always good to have a bit of footy fun and bulls--t with a beer.

Gnarly your post a couple of days ago in part showed a deep concern of lack of cold beautiful beer on the Canning.

------ there is this theory
there are 51 wells not alll have water, why so many wells?

Canning was a cunning man, provided water in some wells and beer in others. Could this be true? Think of outback traveller Murray Rankin and his trolley...or was it his beer trolley. The ruined wells with ice cold beer hidden in them are well nos ..........ahhhh

Go Pies!!
snowypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #35
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Den,

Still at early stage, plenty of interest but no definate 110%. I'm doing it too desert pilots.

I noticed you are trying something similar as well but from the other side of the country. Hope all goes well for you.

One concern was from the cane cutter, how they said they went through 70ltrs from Coober to Ilkurlka. Perhaps big bikes, cause from what I've heard of the AB its not a very difficult road. so fuel economy should not really be that bad. As far as traffic is concerned because of the opening of the road house, its given people like us a real chance of accomplishing something new. So through traffic will be increasing from a very low base.

Thanks again for your help earlier.

The more people enjoying our outback on bikes the better.

sno
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #36
LaudJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowypete View Post
Relic,

when required a full 20ltr steel gerry, flat down and tied over hard over pillion seat and rack. .

Just went out and bought a 20lt Steel Jerry can at Aldi, $30.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #37
snowypete OP
Adventurer

G'day Gnarly,

If I spoke German I'd say Das ist gut!!!!

For 30 bucks I'll get a couple myself. Have you done any outback rides on your DR650?

Your post a couple of days ago about the AB, Gunbarrel & CP........riding the gun from either Wilnua or Carnegie station the next fuel is at Warby. The Connie Sue starts close by (its a rarely used track) and heads south to Neale Junction. In the past we have done this but then across to Cosmo Newbry but this time with the Ilurlka roadhouse now open for business, it gives unsupported riders the first chance ever to make it to CP just under 800km.

This offers a great challenge.

sno (as a kid used to live in bomber land but Go Pies!)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #38
snowypete OP
Adventurer

CaneCutter -2 wheeled petrol tankers..

Don't have the guiness book of records, but CaneCutter and your mate must hold the record for carrying the most fuel unsupported.

83ltrs ..that is an absolute fantastic effort!!

Did you expect the fuel use? 70ltr to Ilkurlka from Coober which I think was about 775kms (11km per litre).

Sno
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #39
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer: 230
Anne Beadell 2011

[/IMG]picture of my DRZ , Fuel comprised Safari Tanl 28L , 2x 8L fuel bladders, 10L plastic jerrycan on a side rack plus 2L coke bottle Total Fuel 56L

The fuel baldders were in a saddle bag that hung over the tank.

Also onboard was 10L water, jerry can on the other side rack and a 10L water bladder. Total Water 20L plus a camel pack.\

The setup was shithouse with toooo much weight up top and too far back. The bike was a pig to ride and too heavy to pick up with the weight up top.

Made it into the Roadhouse with maybe 5L to spare.

Good luck its a nice track and we passed maybe 4 cars in 3 days.
KTM450exc
Yamaha DT360 vintage mx

J_B screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 06:21 AM
J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
Cane Cutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
950SE Fuel

I will atempt to get a photo of the bike setup.Each bike has a 30lt safari tank,a 2 into 1 exhaust with a 15lt tank where the left muffler was,a 23lt back jerry flat on top rack and 2 extra 6 lt throw away bottles as reserve.The track is sand which is smooth and the hardest ironstone corrigations you will ever see.It took us 2 and a half days to get to Neil Junction which was 1 day more than expected which gives you an idea that speed was not possible.Given the amount of fuel we then used from Ilurka to NJ and up the CS i dont think we would have had enough to go from west to east cos them big orange suckers can suck that opel crap in huge amounts to make hp.We passed 1 vehicle from CP to Ilurka and a lot of c
amels.Get all the permits and enjoy the ride.
Cane Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #41
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,060
I'll have another go at an unsupported ride in 2015. We pulled out with an injured rider at Kunna in 2011

I'm going to set up a 450/500 for this one with a 24L safari tank & 8.8L rear tank, giant loop coyote saddle bags, cush drive for the transport, two fuel 10L bladders, & rally bash plate to protect the ankles.

We carried way too much water & food and you can get water around every third well - so only really need to carry 6 liters instead of the 18 we carried - just made things too bloody heavy

will send a parcel to Kunna with dehydrated food in it

will also take a backpack, couldn't have really taken any less but at least when you have a backpack & crash you drop the backpack and then pick the bike up put it on the stand and then put backpack on

Have done the Simpson a few times now and the CSR makes the Simpson look like a walk in the park
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle

Dirt Doctor screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:20 AM
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #42
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,945
My plan is for giant-loop coyote .....tent ,exped...few tins of food ...9ltrs water ..60 ltrs fuel ..keep it light as possible gear wise...backpack with 6 ltrs water ..other water in front tank bra with fuel bladders

gunna be a good season this yr ..bring on july
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #43
snowypete OP
Adventurer

JB - The AB done in '11, you and your mate must have been one of the first to do the AB unsupported - just oozes adventure.

'tooo much weight' - the teacher at AB riding school would have given you and your mate detention.

Its just great that other bike riders are doing these big rides independantly. We have such a big back yard to play in (I feel like the minister for outback tourism). Always interested on how other riders go with fuel economy. Any sub-frame issues after stacks, and what gear works and what doesn't. Navigation issues.

One of the best parts of the mega ride that I want to do is camping at night in the Woomera rocket range where they blew up some atomic bombs and see if my balls start to GLOW.

Sno
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #44
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Canecutter,

Your and your mate on the AB, you got around 11km per litre on opal. Do you know what fuel economy you fellas were getting on normal fuel?

Again just great to see other riders having a real crack.

-- Lifetime memories

Sno
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #45
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Water

The distances between water is greater on the Northern Section of the CSR, from my experience last year, the min. amount of water I would recommend is 15L.
A break down, injury or temperature above 30c can quickly use up your water and even though there are a lot of people on the CSR, I only saw on average 1 4WD / convoy a day, with none one day.
Water is like fuel if you have enough and some in reserve, you are not overly worried about it and enjoy your ride and have a buffer.
Enjoy your trip
Cheers
Dennis