ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Izzy3 OP
Freak of Unnature
 
Izzy3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 142
Is the BMW LED Canbus brake light worth the $?

I like easy so plug and play means a lot to me. Looking for a little more "hey I'm braking up here on I-95" and want an easy to install, but effective alert to the butt riding tools on I-95.

Is the BMW part work the extra coin compared to a Hyperlite or other application? I don't want Canbus issues or soldering work.

Thanks.
__________________
'12 R1200 GSA
Izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: S. Central PA
Oddometer: 1,718
Doesn't your '12 already have an LED tail/brake light? I thought those started as standard equipment in 2008.
__________________
Current: 2014 R1200GSW
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
I like easy so plug and play means a lot to me. Looking for a little more "hey I'm braking up here on I-95" and want an easy to install, but effective alert to the butt riding tools on I-95.

Is the BMW part work the extra coin compared to a Hyperlite or other application? I don't want Canbus issues or soldering work.

Thanks.
1. No. Not for my money.
2. Hyperlites 16 LED version will provide PLENTY of reward visibility without CANBUS issues or a trip to the BMW dealer to have a "software change to LED". Just get the Hyperlites and be done with it.
3. Soldering isn't rocket science....learn it...you'll have a new capability that can/will serve you well.

http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Izzy3 OP
Freak of Unnature
 
Izzy3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Doesn't your '12 already have an LED tail/brake light? I thought those started as standard equipment in 2008.
I want more visibility and and the "I'm braking flash feature" in the aftermarket systems.
__________________
'12 R1200 GSA
Izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Izzy3 OP
Freak of Unnature
 
Izzy3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
1. No. Not for my money.
2. Hyperlites 16 LED version will provide PLENTY of reward visibility without CANBUS issues or a trip to the BMW dealer to have a "software change to LED". Just get the Hyperlites and be done with it.
3. Soldering isn't rocket science....learn it...you'll have a new capability that can/will serve you well.

http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html
I can solder, I just don't want to crack into the wiring if I don't need to do so. I was not aware of a trip to the BMW dealer because I added a BMW LED tailite.
__________________
'12 R1200 GSA
Izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
lkchris
Albuquerque
 
lkchris's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
I can solder, I just don't want to crack into the wiring if I don't need to do so. I was not aware of a trip to the BMW dealer because I added a BMW LED tailite.
The BMW light comes with ZERO for instructions.

I think you can find how to install one on the MOA website somewhere.

The BMW light is on always as a taillight and when you first hit the brake it flashes very quickly for maybe two flashes and then is constant and a little brighter than normal. It's almost as if it flickers. It's not a big show for sure.

No, the R1200RT has never had an LED taillight.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,550
A more effective brake / running like would be the P3 lights, easy install, and much brighter than the bmw light:

www.skenedesign.com
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
I want more visibility and and the "I'm braking flash feature" in the aftermarket systems.
The BMW LED tail lamp assembly is the same exact unit that you already have on your bike (assuming its a 2012 model) the kit is designed for the 4-07 models..
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Steiney
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: HarCo, MD
Oddometer: 85
I have the Skeen P3 LED's on the rear - highly visible during riding and braking. What appealed to me is the way they oscillate, they really grab your attention...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Steiney
2012 GSA
Steiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer
 
TuefelHunden's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Oddometer: 591
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/admor...ls-smoke-10018
I have one of these. It works. No Can-Bus issues. It is very bright. 30 minute install.

If you want an omelet, you have to break some eggs. Using posi-taps to connect electrical bits is so easy a 6 year old could do it.
__________________
Old, but not Dead
TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
SR1
In Western NC
 
SR1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post

If you want an omelet, you have to break some eggs.
Ain't that the truth. But the OP prizes convenience over money, so let him go.

Me, I'm an egg breaker. (and I am hoping that the OP looks around and sees that most GS owners are "egg breakers" and learns how to do it himself too)
__________________
My TAT trip in 2014: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998193
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
def
Ginger th wonder dog
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 9,216
I'm thinking about making a red LED panel shaped like a octagonal stop sign with a fabric base and velcro that I can attach to the various jackets that I wear when riding that plugs into a yet-to-be installed connector in parallel with the tailight. LEDs are very easy work with and somewhat forgiving. The circuit is merely resistors, LEDs and wires that can be sewn or glued to a piece of heavy ballistic fabric.

Tap the brakes and a red stop sign lights up on your back leaving no doubt that your brakes are applied. Remember the Electric Horseman?

Then, amber turn signal arrows flanking the octagonal stop sign...now you've got some serious rear signaling going on, the current draw is very low and the wiring is simple.

def screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 08:53 PM
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Izzy3 OP
Freak of Unnature
 
Izzy3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Ain't that the truth. But the OP prizes convenience over money, so let him go.

Me, I'm an egg breaker. (and I am hoping that the OP looks around and sees that most GS owners are "egg breakers" and learns how to do it himself too)
As a farmboy from Kentucky, I've broken many eggs and done without for most of my life. It's the "time or money" tradeoff now.

If I can find a 10 minute plug and play I'll pay a little more. Otherwise I'll break out the soldering iron and the butane torch.
__________________
'12 R1200 GSA
Izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Izzy3 OP
Freak of Unnature
 
Izzy3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
The BMW LED tail lamp assembly is the same exact unit that you already have on your bike (assuming its a 2012 model) the kit is designed for the 4-07 models..
The catalog lists it as an additional tail lamp which fixes at the bottom of the the license plate frame. My current tail light (OEM) doesn't flash, is above the license plate and is smallish to say the least.

WTF?
__________________
'12 R1200 GSA
Izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
SR1
In Western NC
 
SR1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
As a farmboy from Kentucky, I've broken many eggs and done without for most of my life. It's the "time or money" tradeoff now.
I can afford to do the same, but it's still throwing my money away. Keep going that way with that new GSA of yours and you'll soon double it's cost. I am buying a 2013 Jeep Unlimited Sahara, paid off 100%. I will still do my own work to it.

FYI, you are probably going to want to put other accessories on your GSA, and for that you'll need a fuse block anyway...which could power a different LED brake light...
__________________
My TAT trip in 2014: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998193

SR1 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 04:54 AM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014