Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #7651
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
I was looking at the carb today and noticed a hose missing. It's number 92059A. Anyone know where it goes? It was hard as hell to start this morning cold. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9023#sch441249
Actually you can use good quality emissions hose of the proper diameter from an auto parts store to replace any of those OEM hoses as they wear out or become brittle. Make sure it's emission qualified, because lots of the rubber tubing from auto parts houses are too stiff and get brittle very quickly. Emissions qualified hose must retain its flexibility and integrity for much longer. Slightly more expensive but way more quality.

On your cold starting, this isn't too unusual for many owners. Many, like me, have just drilled out the starter jet in the carb to .018"--.020".
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #7652
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Actually you can use good quality emissions hose of the proper diameter from an auto parts store to replace any of those OEM hoses as they wear out or become brittle. Make sure it's emission qualified, because lots of the rubber tubing from auto parts houses are too stiff and get brittle very quickly. Emissions qualified hose must retain its flexibility and integrity for much longer. Slightly more expensive but way more quality.

On your cold starting, this isn't too unusual for many owners. Many, like me, have just drilled out the starter jet in the carb to .018"--.020".
So that hose just goes down by the swing arm like the clear one does? One other question...The PO installed a Clarke tank and the lower handle bar risers hit the tank. Not much but enough for me to wonder if there is a fix? It's an 07 if that makes any difference.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #7653
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Ricky, have you considered just tearing yours down for inspection and rebuild before it has a chance to blow up? It's a lot cheaper to replace just the worn parts than to repair collateral damage once they let go. However, I understand that parts are not exactly cheap where you are, and good shops not exactly on every corner. Even if it needs a full rebuild, it should still be cheaper than a whole new bike.

It's nuts how expensive bikes are there...I cringe whenever you bring it up. How much is a WR250R there? I'd think that's a great option for how you use your bike.
I should probably do that! They never brought the WR250R over here or I probably would go for that. Kawasaki is definately the biggest brand here, Indonesia and Thailand. Honda has quite a bit more support in Thailaind than here.

I just read an Australian Dirt Bike magazines test on the KLX450 and it had an interesting perspective. The writer was plugging it at the same time acknowledging it was probably the slowest 450 between the big 4, husky, KTM and Husaberg. His perspective was he thought it was the most reliable and should be in the category of the DRZ400...basically saying it may be slower than all these other 450's but it's lighter and stronger than the DRZ.
That's making me give more thought to the 450... they are certainly the most common 450 here and only $12,000. They come street legal with lights/blinkers/horn etc...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #7654
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I just read an Australian Dirt Bike magazines test on the KLX450 and it had an interesting perspective. The writer was plugging it at the same time acknowledging it was probably the slowest 450 between the big 4, husky, KTM and Husaberg. His perspective was he thought it was the most reliable and should be in the category of the DRZ400...basically saying it may be slower than all these other 450's but it's lighter and stronger than the DRZ.
That's making me give more thought to the 450... they are certainly the most common 450 here and only $12,000. They come street legal with lights/blinkers/horn etc...
That is very interesting. I wonder if Kawasaki USA will import the KLX450 to the USA? I assume it is also made in Thailand? I have every confidence in product from Thailand after seeing all the latest Triumph's built there ... or components. Excellent workmanship.

We've all been hoping for a street legal Japanese 450 here in USA. Maybe Kawi will beat Yamaha on this one? I assume the KLR450 is F.I.?

I could see ditching my DR650 for the KLX450.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #7655
aki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Klx250s

I had been using my current EFI KLX250S made in Thailand for over a year.
It serves me well and my only complain is that the seat is like a wood plank. Maybe they are using an inferior quality rubber insert as compared to older models.

Here's a link to my blog:
http://aki-sarawakadventure.blogspot...ay-around.html

http://aki-sarawakadventure.blogspot.com/
aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #7656
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That is very interesting. I wonder if Kawasaki USA will import the KLX450 to the USA? I assume it is also made in Thailand? I have every confidence in product from Thailand after seeing all the latest Triumph's built there ... or components. Excellent workmanship.

We've all been hoping for a street legal Japanese 450 here in USA. Maybe Kawi will beat Yamaha on this one? I assume the KLR450 is F.I.?

They used to have the 450 here in the U.S. but not since '08 or '09 or such. Still available in Aus.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #7657
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,207
I thought it was the 400 that used be available in North America?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #7658
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
I thought it was the 400 that used be available in North America?
The KLX400 was a green DRZ400, literally. The KLX450 was an off road bike based on KX450 architecture. Both good bikes, both no longer available in US.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #7659
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:

FWIW it's the Dec 2012 issue of "DIRT ACTION" page 92... also has a freeride test. To quote the intro:

Quote:
I think the KLX has been offered as one thing but is in in fact something a little different. And when you look at it with that new perspective it becomes a better bike.
Quote:
... is better suited to the trails than the race track.
In a shootout with the CRFX, EXC, WRF, TE449, FE450 it was the heaviest and softest suspended - but not by much. However they go on to compare the reliability to the DR400E and point out how much lighter, stronger and better suspended it is. I don't think Kawasaki knew how much more reliable their bike was; originally it was recommended to change the piston every 60 hours!
(I recently read an old KLX250 manual here in Malaysia... same basic bike as our but conventional forks and no e start and they were calling for 40 hour valve checks!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #7660
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
I had been using my current EFI KLX250S made in Thailand for over a year.
It serves me well and my only complain is that the seat is like a wood plank. Maybe they are using an inferior quality rubber insert as compared to older models.

Here's a link to my blog:
http://aki-sarawakadventure.blogspot...ay-around.html
Good to hear from you Aki! The closest fellow ADV/KLX250/Malaysian I know!

I'm hoping to visit a friend in Kuching and then the Kelabit highlands soon! Any idea where I might rent a KLX in Kuching? I'd settle for a 150...
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #7661
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:

FWIW I don't know sqwat about the KLX450, but I did own a DRZ400 and loved it. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was too tall for my son to enjoy off road, and I decided that for the type of riding that I do the DR650 is s better fit for me. But I did get a KLX250 for a guest bike

and IIRC you were asking about touring on a small bike a while back. You may have found this already, but I thought I would pass along the link to the "Minimalist touring" link anyhow.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349

Ride Safe!

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #7662
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Alright guys, I will start parting out my bike. When I have time I will post an ad with more info. In the mean time send me a message of what you need and we can work out fair prices.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #7663
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
They used to have the 450 here in the U.S. but not since '08 or '09 or such. Still available in Aus.
Right, I know the bike ... but it was Kawi's "off road" version of the race bike, not street legal but had "Green Sticker" status in California. I'm sure some guys plated those bikes. The reviews were really good on that bike ... but I think it was closer to the KX race bike than to a street legal, EPA legal KLX250S. Big difference.

To pass EPA/CARB I'm guessing different cams/cam timing, lower comp. ratio, lean F.I. map, super restrictive exhaust and maybe even a CAT.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #7664
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Right, I know the bike ... but it was Kawi's "off road" version of the race bike, not street legal but had "Green Sticker" status in California. I'm sure some guys plated those bikes. The reviews were really good on that bike ... but I think it was closer to the KX race bike than to a street legal, EPA legal KLX250S. Big difference.

To pass EPA/CARB I'm guessing different cams/cam timing, lower comp. ratio, lean F.I. map, super restrictive exhaust and maybe even a CAT.
Exactly. I wonder if the current KLX450 in Asia/Australia is the same bike?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #7665
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Exactly. I wonder if the current KLX450 in Asia/Australia is the same bike?
If I had to guess ... I'm thinking it's the non competition model. Set up as a commuter. Low HP/comp, mild cams, cam timing for clean running and high
MPG. But no worse than current KLX250S or WR250R ... which are BOTH very De-Tuned bikes.

But a 450 would have more torque and ability to pull taller gearing. So, for me, means a better travel bike. MC business in the USA is picking up some so perhaps more OEM's will seek to expand their Dual Sport offerings?

BMW just had their BEST YEAR EVER ... much of that success from dual sport/adventure bike sales: R12GS, 800GS, Sertao, G650GS ... and of course the Husky Terra and Strada. (now sold to KTM/Bajaj)

Both Kawasaki and Suzuki have recently had decent turn over on the KLR and DR650, despite a terrible economy which is still in recovery ... but could fall off the cliff again. Real dirt bike sales are STILL in the toilet, and IMO, won't recover anytime soon. Dual sport is the way forward but the old tired offerings are not going to cut it. (KLR, DR650, XR650L, DRZ400S)