Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,301
Fuel injectors....most if not all have a filter screen at the fuel inlet. Yes the 9V battery will open them and back flush with cleaners can clear them to some extent. Not sure that I'd use really strong cleaners such as carb cleaners, they may eat the internal seals. Brake cleaner???

Internally degrading fuel lines or even the wrong type of lines can certainly plug them filters.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
That is why you should take the injectors to professional cleaning. Besides doing a good job, they can take measurements, tell you if they were clogged and most importantly, tell you if there is any difference between them.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Check the TPS! A bad one will cause Motronic to enter a limp home mode the symptoms of which mimic fueling problems very closely.

Corroded electrical connectors at TPS and injectors?

Leaky intake manifolds. If original will almost certainly require replacement. New ones have improved seal.

Ignition,kill switch and ignition key sub sub harness.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
The plan is to take it to the BMW Shop in Guatemala city tomorrow.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone know of a cheap hotel close to the BMW Shop in Guatemala City? I will be going there in the morning.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
That is a great shop! We stopped there on the way through last summer. They installed the Tourtech turn stops for free and helped us out of the city by leading us through the snarl of traffic that is there. Super nice people! They will direct you to a hotel.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
You are sure the throttle cable is not hooked up on the nipple where it enters the injector?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

My moto is still in the shop here in Guatemala City. I was told last Tuesday that they would put Priority on it since I was on a three month moto tour, but I have not yet seen any priority. Wednesday, I was told that their computer could not find the problem, because of the electrical accessories I have added to the moto. I immediately told them that I could dis-connect everything in 20 nor 30 minutes, but they did not want me to do that, but said it would take MANY hours to find the bad wire. They also said at that time that the moto was running fine now, but that they could not guarantee its reliability. They had determined that it was not the Halls Sensor or the Moronic and had balanced the throttle bodies and maybe adjusted the throttle position senor, I am not sure about the sensor.. Friday, I was told that it could be Tuesday before it was ready and I again suggested that I dis-connect the accessories, but only received a response that the wires were very delicate. Saturday, the shop manager was not there or not available, but I was told by someone else that it would be Tuesday before it was ready. I was also told it was being worked on 100% of the time. I have been in the shop area twice, neither time was anyone working on my moto. Seems a bit strange to me that you can have someone working 100% on a moto supposedly looking for a single bad wire and predict on Friday that it will not be ready till the following Tuesday and that is after working on it for over two days. I am sure that they will fix my moto, I suspect it may have already been fixed and is just sitting in the shop accumulating LABOR hours, but of course I don't know this for sure and I certainly cannot prove it, so all I can say with certainty is that I am not at all comfortable with the communication I am having with BMW Guatemala City.

Hoping to be on the road soon.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #24
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
You are sure the throttle cable is not hooked up on the nipple where it enters the injector?

I have had that happened before, but in this case it will idle for a minute and die. I already checked it numerous times.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
I would be suspect of the repairs done earlier, not being good repairs, or actually screwing something else up.

Did they actually replace the hall sensor previously, with a NEW out of the box unit? Or did they just repair the old unit? If they just repaired, I would check the quality of the repair- another wire could have gone bad.

Since you had some suspect fuel issues, I'd begin to wonder about the fuel injectors, if the hall sensor can be guaranteed as good. Did one get plugged up? A fuel injection guy should have a tester to see if the injector is getting a 'fire' signal. Heck, pull out the injector and see if it sprays while cranking. (um, don't smoke just then- BOOM!) If the injector is getting a good signal but the engine stumbles, then the injector or upstream fuel supply should be suspect. My knowledge is that the hall sensor controls both the spark plug firing and the injector 'firing' fuel into the intake. Mr Hall not being schizoid is vitally important to making your bike run correctly.

Remember, there are good mechanics that actually know and understand what's going on, and can intelligently diagnose problems. Then there are mechanics that are just as stupid as the rest of us, and simply know how to swap parts around.............. and maybe get lucky.

Really, if you have a good battery and a separate fuse block, your lights, gps, etc shouldn't have shit to do with your bike running badly. Its probably just a few too many wires running all over the place, maybe in a slightly disorganized manner.

Hopefully, someone has checked the obvious 'throttle cable out of position on the injection body' problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
Oh, and by the way, if you're riding a R1100GS, their %$@# computer ain't gonna find nothing. Maybe I'm reading my 1100 service manual wrong, but I don't think there's even a diagnostic port on the wiring harness. There's a magic bmw black box that will tell you if the hall sensor is putting out a signal, but its not a computer- just a blinky box.

Motohank can correct me, but there is no OBD2 port or GS911 type readable computer port on an 1100. The moronic brain is an 80s/early 90s technology that measures air temp, oil temp, where the crank is in the timing cycle, maybe a few other parameters, and tells the fuel injectors when to fire, and the spark coil when to light everything off. Compared to today's bike and car computers, the R1100 box is Cousin Eddie.

If there's a computer involved in diagnosing your bike, I'm afraid they may have mistaken you Donnie for a mushroom. They're feeding you shit and keeping you in the dark. (not an insult aimed at you Donnie)

The BMW shop told me that the Hall Sensor was OK, as well as the 1996 R1100gs's motronic. They told me Wednesday morning after they hooked their computer to my moto that it was running good and that they had balanced the throttle bodies. They said there was a bad wire somewhere that needed to be found. They said their computer could not talk to my computer because of the extra electrical accessories I have

I did not mention it in the first post, but as soon as the staff found out where my moto is they warned me that this was not an honest shop. As I began to have suspicions about the service I am receiving, I began to ask question of the staff, including the manager. This is what I have been told, two Germans that have been on the road for two years left their motos at this shop to be checked over. When they went to get their motos, they were presented with a bill of $5,000US. The Germans, being familiar with their motos began checking them over and found many cases where they were being charged for parts that had not been changed. They German riders had some type connection with BMW and called Germany. No one knows what the exact out come to this situation was. Some can say this is hear-say, but I have been told essentially the same story by three different staff members, including the manager

The Hostel Manger called an English speaking person from the store this morning. The manger here went to school with this man named Jose Andres Pinto. Jose had done some translating for me when I was first at the shop. He seems to be a very nice fellow. His title is Instructor Guia, what ever that is. He has promised an update at 10:00 Monday morning..
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
strsout
Banned Camp

Oddometer: 1,034
Make sure to get aa detailed invoice to bring to your shop here later. I don't think that will help you personally, but may help other fellow riders to avoid this sho if that is the case.
Loma Linda - CA - IBA#14,458 - AMA
strsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just came from the shop, my moto is now getting attention. I met several people while I was there, including Guateadventure from ADV. He is a staff member of the local BMW club that read about the problem I was having. He also received a few telephone calls from other members. He was at the shop to provide support and express concern for my problem. A very nice fellow with dual citizenship of Guatemala as well as the US. I also met a couple of Californians that were having moto problems. They were ADV Fool and GoinPostal from ADV. They are basically on the same path as me to Panama. And then there was Guatarider who just finish the Epic ride and Ride Report from Guatemala to Alaska Bay and back.

I also spoke with the top Service Manager, they still think it is a bad wire some where. So, my moto is not ready, but it is getting attention.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
TUCKERS
the famous james

ADVENTURE RIDER RULES

TUCKERS screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 04:56 PM
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Hey Donnie

If you still think it is a bad wire try this thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636907

Turned out to be a wire damaged by battery acid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post

Let me present to you a worn 1.5mm wire, in which battery acid has been able to consume
all the copper.

[TaSK]
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
TUCKERS
the famous james

Also the five wires coming from the IGN can get pinched up close to the switch. There is just about a foot of wire coming from the switch to another connector.