Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Throttle Problem after TPS reset etc

'02 1150GSA

Just installed Dan Cata's Throttle Body Kits (both). I positioned the TPS as closely as I could to the pre-rebuild spot. After getting an initial 1.06v reading and fiddled around until it was .36v. Pulled the Motronic Diagnostic Plug fuse for a minute then turned the ignition and cranked the throttle 3 times.

The bike started immediately and the Throttle Bodies were nice and quiet (Thanks Dan )

Needless to say some other adjustments were needed so after a brief ride to get it up to temp I synced the cables and the bodies and off for another test ride.

Results:

Bike idles nicely at 1100rpm and at speed pulls nicely. The problem is at the point when I just start to move at low rpm from a stop or slow turn. It was faltering and I had to give it more throttle or it would certainly die. Again this is just at that low rpm from about 1200 to 2k.

When I got back I checked the cable sync and throttle bodies with a manometer and they were both good. From the 1100rpm idle in neutral I just slowly rolled on the throttle to replicate my earlier problem only in a stationary position. When it got to 2k rpm it stalled. Now had I throttled up more quickly it would have made it through that problem area.

So......someone kick me in the right direction for this glitch.

Thanks in advance..
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
There are a lot of possibilities. Let's try to narrow it down.

Is the right hand throttle cable seated correctly in its retainer just above the TB?

When you said you pulled the Diagnostic Plug fuse (there isn't one) I think you were referring to Fuse 5 which powers the Motronic. Are you certain you removed the right fuse? When you later turned the ignition on and twisted the throttle twice was the fast I'd.le lever down?

It sounds like you have a TPS/throttle stop screw/Air bypass (BBS) alignment issue.

With the fast idle lever off (down), do you have 1 mm slack in the throttle cable on each side? Is each throttle body throttle shaft coming to rest against its throttle stop screw?

How many turns is each BBS screw from bottom?

Are both throttle plates coming off the stop at exactly the same moment?

As you increase the RPM from 1100 does the rpm increase smoothly and then just stop at 2000?

I'm sure you'll get other ideas soon
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
twinsig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
My mistake after a rebuild, i didn't have right side butterfly properly aligned. I chased the imbalance like a dog chasing it's tail. The method for checking? Remove both TBs, back off idle stop screws and look through them against the sunlight.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Ron, did you alter the pulley stopping screws? I am guessing not, since the kit must have fitted OK. Do the pulleys stop on the stopping screws?

You say you have issues around 2k rpm. In case you connect your sync tool and you slowly pull the acceleration, does it stay in sync or does pull more vacuum on one side? Do you have the correct CCP for your bike? I have a friend that owns a 1150 gs and the bike did not ride smooth until he got the correct setup wire in the CCP spot according to realoem for his bike.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Dan,

Everything was fine prior to me putting the bodies back on etc with no change to the CCP etc. I've been reading for hours now and what I'm coming back to is "do I have slack in the throttle cables?"

The right cable had sufficient slack and the lock nut is about mid point on the threaded portion of the cable adjuster. When I reconnected the left cable I did have difficulty in getting 'any' slack and in fact threaded portion is screwed in to the max with the lock nut touching the knurled ferrule.

Sitting here now I'm trying to figure out why I don't have more than enough slack with it screwed all the way in. Can this lack of slack cause this low rpm stall issue?

I guess it'll have to wait until the morning now..haha.

....and when it is running past the 2k rpm it does run noticeably better since the rebuild and nice & quiet!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
It also caught my attention that your TPS was initially at a volt. Sounds like something happened on the left either during TB assembly, or to the left hand cable (is it mis seated in the Bowden box) or reinstallation of the pulley. Not sure but I bet that is your culprit.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,824
Are the vacuum lines back on?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
??...I don't follow. Vacuum lines from the manometer?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Solved!

Well I went out the shop first thing and took the throttle cable off the throttle body and carefully re-installed it. The cable was feeding onto the pulley but it's possible the underside cabling and the end stud weren't seated exactly where it should have been.

I did get some slack so I adjusted it for about 1 mm.

When I had put the TPS back on the TB, post rebuild, I did the initial adjustment and got it at .36 v. Of note, the TPS wasn't positioned anywhere close to where it had been prior to removal for rebuild. So I pulled back the boot and re tested the TPS and got it at .36 v.

After the fuse removal/throttle crank blah blah I started it up and took it for a spin. When at working temp I started to some slow speed turns and starts etc and my stall/falter problem was Gone!!

So whether it was the cable or the TPS or a bit of both it's fixed. I did the cable and TB sync with the manometer and it's running as smooth as silk......phew! I wasn't relishing getting into the Bowden Box to see if the left cable had unseated there.

Thanks to those who replied and kicked me in the right direction!

Ron from BC screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 02:06 PM Reason: Yikes!
Ron from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
So whether it was the cable or the TPS or a bit of both it's not fixed.
Glad to hear it is NOT fixed.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Glad to hear it is NOT fixed.
Holy Crap! Thanks Def....post edited.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I don't believe Canadian BMW boxers are Evap equipped?

def screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 06:19 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
def
I've little to say

The question regarding the vacuum lines in place refers to the evap canister system on US delivered boxers. The ports these lines are connected to are the ports used when performing TB synchronization inasmuch as the ports are on the engine (vacuum) side of the throttle plate and therefore provide vacuum signals relative to TB balance.

On some models, there are no lines but only rubber caps that close off these ports.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Understood, actually this bike was purchased in Portland however I did a cannisterectomy years ago.