Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I have never laid hands on a BMW bike but I've been able to save a differential full of metal before so keep that in mind before listening to me. ;)

I think your best bet is to change out the oil again before you hit the road and perhaps again half way to the boat if you have the time. Gear oil is amazing at lubricating if it can get where it needs to go. That being said, don't travel between two transport trucks either. You'll want some extra space around you just in case.

The biggest problem you face will be cleaning out cavity when you get it repaired. You will need tons of aerosol cans of WD40 or an air compressor with a venturi pick-up to spray varsol into the cavity. It has got to be absolutely spotless when wiped down with a white paper towel before it goes back together. If you pick up any metal on a lightly oiled paper towel you'll have to keep rinsing...it can take forever but it's mandatory for a long term repair.

Steve
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
strsout
Banned Camp

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Because I imagined that it could become a nightmare I carried a spare FD bearing, oil seal and O-ring around in a little box for almost 70,000km. I figured that in an emergency I could always persuade someone to lend me his/her workshop, it would only be the parts that would be a problem. When (at 93,000km) I picked up, during a routine FD oil check, that mine was finally on it's way out, I was in the comfort of my own workshop. I used it then but needless to say, I have bought another as a spare to carry while touring.

From inspection of the bearing I took out at 93,000km my conclusion was that rust (from water getting into the FD) had weakened the bearing surface so even though I change the FD oil at each oil change I have fitted a snorkel to the FD breather so it would now have to suck in water from the level of the air intake to the engine.

Pity none of this is of any use to poor old Aventeren. Hope it all works out well for him

I GS 1 , not to hijack this tread but could you elaborated a bit more the snorkel idea?
Loma Linda - CA - IBA#14,458 - AMA
strsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
strsout
Banned Camp

The lack of updates, I can assume that aventeren had some good luck and he is on the back of some truck going to chile...
Let's hope for.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout View Post
The lack of updates, I can assume that aventeren had some good luck and he is on the back of some truck going to chile...
Let's hope for.
I sure hope so, too. I had an FD failure on a K1200LT (very similar to the 1150GS part), and in my case it became un-rideable within several tens of miles. No way would I expect it to make it all the way from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, especially on the gravel.

Basically, in aventeren's situation, I'd arrange for pickup/truck transport to get the bike where it can be worked on. It is moveable, but only enough to get up and down loading ramps.

Best of luck to him - hey, when things break down, it still is an adventure! (Particularly, in the comfort of one's home, after return... )

-->> James Bay & North Road Solo Blitz -->> Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego Cappuccino Tour
-->> Trans-Labrador Highway Solo Blitz --->> South African Cappuccino Tour
rdwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
I GS 1 , not to hijack this tread but could you elaborated a bit more the snorkel idea?
I based it on the assumption that when you ride into deep water, as in a river crossing, the rapid cooling of the warm final drive housing will tend to suck in air or water in through the FD breather. With silicone, an O-ring and a grub screw I attached a brass coupling (slightly modified) to a pipe which vents up at the bike's fuse box under the seat (little filter attached) so that now only air can be sucked in. The pipe is large enough in diameter so that any negative pressure would not cause any water to be sucked in through the oil seal. (When I next have access to a lathe I may turn up a less clumsy looking coupling)

photo.JPG
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #21
strsout
Banned Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
I based it on the assumption that when you ride into deep water, as in a river crossing, the rapid cooling of the warm final drive housing will tend to suck in air or water in through the FD breather. With silicone, an O-ring and a grub screw I attached a brass coupling (slightly modified) to a pipe which vents up at the bike's fuse box under the seat (little filter attached) so that now only air can be sucked in. The pipe is large enough in diameter so that any negative pressure would not cause any water to be sucked in through the oil ...
I like the idea. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #22
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
+1.

Never would have thought at that.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #23
Aventeren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quick Update

I made it out of Ushuaia in a snow storm, then to Rio Grande, then to the border at San Sebastian, then across 120 km of gravel, then across the ferry, then past the intersection with Punta Arenas, and then 145 km from Puerto Natales where the gears began shearing (I think). I think I should be able to get it on the boat by tonight.

I know that I am gonig to get grief for shearing the gears, but the cost of getting the bike out of Ushuaia on a truck was going to cost me well over $1,000 and I would have missed the boat ($380) and I would have had to pay food and lodging $50 to $60 per day. So shearing the gears was the preferred option.

I know have a thorough understanding of how a final drive fails, how far you can push it, what the various progression symptoms will be and also my thoughts on what I would have done now that I am in the middle of this cluster (/&%. I will post all of that later. As you might imagine, I have a little to say on this matter.

What a nightmare way to end the trip of a lifetime. 24,110 km. (/%&. To say I am disappointed woul be a vast understatement.

Okay, I am going to try and figure this out (I am currently typing from the City Manager's office in Villa Tehuelche, so I need to go).

Anyone have an angle on a truck in Puerto Montt? Ideally I would rent one that I could drive to Santiago, drop the bike at the shippers and then grab a flight home. Thanks for any help you can provide me. I really appreciate it.

I will try and pick up WiFi later.
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #24
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Lead in Puerto Montt

Wow, you are a hardy guy! My hat's off to you.

No lead on truck rental, but: MotoAventura has a motorbike rental station in Puerto Montt.
I suggest contacting them, they may have info on local truck rental or maybe get you on their own trailer when transferring their tour group to Santiago.

Their contact is:
MotoAventura, Sonia Dvorachuk, Marketing, tel: 0056 9 8298077 / 0056 64 249127 (English and German)
(above is from their web page, my old contact notes are mobile: 0056 998298077, landline: 0056 64 249121/23)

sonia@motoaventura.cl / msn: soniadvorachuk@hotmail.com

How are you getting to Puerto Montt? By Navimag from Puerto Natales?
If you need help in Natales: few years back, I rode with Robert Runyard who lived just outside of town. I don't know if he is still there, but his phone was +56 (-9) -92518624.
Also, in town of Natales itself, there is an adventure support store that at one point supported motorbike travel. I don't think they still do it, but may be able to help you with vehicle transfer. It's called "Cafe & Books", at Blanco Encalada 226. The owner, Claudio, did speak English - his staff not so much. Claudio Matassi: +56-9-964335728

Good luck! Robert

-->> James Bay & North Road Solo Blitz -->> Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego Cappuccino Tour

rdwalker screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 07:17 AM
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post

I know that I am gonig to get grief for shearing the gears, but the cost of getting the bike out of Ushuaia on a truck was going to cost me well over $1,000 and I would have missed the boat ($380) and I would have had to pay food and lodging $50 to $60 per day. So shearing the gears was the preferred option.
You absolutely did the right thing in shearing the gears. Not only does it make sense financially but emotionally. You have to know when to throw in the towel and be done with the trip. To have a relatively more clear line to closure is very valuable. I just wish I had tangible help to give.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
strsout
Banned Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post

What a nightmare way to end the trip of a lifetime. 24,110 km. (/%&. To say I am disappointed woul be a vast understatement.
Aventeren,
I know right now it will not sound right, but by personal experience, ( I did Prudhoe Bay-Ushuaia in 2010) I know it will pass and only the good stuff will be with you. I had some major issues when arriving Ushuaia, after 32Kmiles of lot's of fun crossing all 3 americas in the long way around. Honestly, today I don't even remember then. And I spend a lot of cash I did not have after 6 months traveling... It will pass. :)
As you wrote, you did a lifetime trip. nothing will spoil it from you now.

And I'm sure we all here are glad you will make the ferry. Then you have 4 to 5 days to find transportation to Santiago.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Sending a PM
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #28
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... only the good stuff will be with you. I had some major issues when arriving Ushuaia... today I don't even remember them ...
So true. It always gets better with each retelling. My K12LT left me once stranded (not as far as aventeren, just enroute to Gaspe, QC) - had to abandon the bike with failed FD. Returned a month later to pick it up and continue the trip.

I remember the exercise fondly - especially the aspect of regrouping myself and making emergency arrangements that worked out quite well. Made me proud of myself. Heh, heh.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
Well, a long time ago, before this whole final drive thing came up. Started feeling the click in the pegs around Fort Stockton, TX. Not knowing what it was, found it in a parking lot east Texas/Louisiana. Didn't get it replaced till Baton Rouge, LA. So, about 700-800 miles. Had about 1/4" of play by the time I got there. I asked if the wheel could fall off, "We don't know". Nice!

All they did was replace the big bearings. No other damage. Good luck!
Beware..........

This lasted less than 30 miles from the first signs of failure to terminal damage.

The resulting damage..

And what it should look like

Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
Aventeren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I actually stopped by the Moto Adventura shop on my way to the Carretera Austral. They run tours, and their shop is really only for their bikes. In fact, I was basically run out of there by the manager. Evidently it's high season and all the bikers (like me) stop in to get their problems fixed--and the way that I read it was that they were over it. So yes, they are BMW location, but helpful is a different story.

I am taking the Navimag to Puerto Montt. Thanks for the local contacts here in Natales. If I had more time, I might call them, but I'm slammed trying to figure out a solution now. Hopefully someone in the future can use this info to their benefit, so thanks for posting it up.

Thanks for taking the time to help out, Robert. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It's these types of threads that makes ADV so great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Wow, you are a hardy guy! My hat's off to you.

No lead on truck rental, but: MotoAventura has a motorbike rental station in Puerto Montt.
I suggest contacting them, they may have info on local truck rental or maybe get you on their own trailer when transferring their tour group to Santiago.

Their contact is:
MotoAventura, Sonia Dvorachuk, Marketing, tel: 0056 9 8298077 / 0056 64 249127 (English and German)
(above is from their web page, my old contact notes are mobile: 0056 998298077, landline: 0056 64 249121/23)

sonia@motoaventura.cl / msn: soniadvorachuk@hotmail.com

How are you getting to Puerto Montt? By Navimag from Puerto Natales?
If you need help in Natales: few years back, I rode with Robert Runyard who lived just outside of town. I don't know if he is still there, but his phone was +56 (-9) -92518624.
Also, in town of Natales itself, there is an adventure support store that at one point supported motorbike travel. I don't think they still do it, but may be able to help you with vehicle transfer. It's called "Cafe & Books", at Blanco Encalada 226. The owner, Claudio, did speak English - his staff not so much. Claudio Matassi: +56-9-964335728

Good luck! Robert
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote