User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 304
Bolt holding the oil tube

Hi guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how is the "nut" for the screw on the left side of BMW 2005 1200 GS holding the silver oil tube fixed? i.e. is there a thread made to the engine, is there a nut that can become lose?

I found the screw lose and during the tightening it snap on me. Now I have half of the screw very loosen, can turn easily both direction but it will not come out. It is the "star / T25" screw going into the black piece.

Thank you!

Tomas
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasv View Post
Hi guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how is the "nut" for the screw on the left side of BMW 2005 1200 GS holding the silver oil tube fixed? i.e. is there a thread made to the engine, is there a nut that can become lose?

I found the screw lose and during the tightening it snap on me. Now I have half of the screw very loosen, can turn easily both direction but it will not come out. It is the "star / T25" screw going into the black piece.

Thank you!

Tomas
That "black piece" is threaded. The torx fastener just screws into it.

The real question is: how in the world did you get your bike so clean?

By the way, I would not lose sleep over the broken bolt. It is a nonstructural part, just tie-wrap the oil line temporarily to prevent vibration. Next time you do a major service, with fuel tank off, fix it permanently.

rdwalker screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 09:30 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Thank you - any idea of the part number for the black bracket with the thead? I can't find it on the microfiche at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...7&mospid=51556

Not my picture - this guys probably uses steam cleaning twice a month - mine looks like this:
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
looks like you could thred a nut on it now that the head is gone.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasv View Post
Thank you - any idea of the part number for the black bracket with the thead? I can't find it on the microfiche at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...7&mospid=51556
Not my picture - this guys probably uses steam cleaning twice a month - mine looks like this: ...
Wow, your friend certainly gets his bike clean. I've never seen a GS like that.

Anyway, back to your problem. The "bracket" that you see is not a small stand-alone part. It is the front frame of the bike, costing about $900.

This is a better view of the whole assembly, showing how the frame and engine suspension come together. Your problem is next to location of nut #8.

This means that you have a bigger job ahead of you. That is why my advice is to fasten the tube by other means, temporarily, and take care of the problem next time you have the bodywork and tank off.

I am not sure why the bolt would be turning and not coming out. I am quite certain that it is the frame "ear" that is threaded and that there is no captive nut behind. I'll check later today for you: my bike just happens to be taken apart, with easy access to that bolt (that fastener is used to support crossmember of engine crash bar if fitted).
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

"looks like you could thred a nut on it now that the head is gone."

Unfortunately I can't - it's very loose, it moves up and down and I can freely rotate but not remove.

If it's part of the frame than I have no clue what is causing that - I can't get the screw out, I was expecting one of the "snap on" nuts similar to what holds the plastic covers.

I can get the tank out but if it's part of the frame I am not sure what I can do.

RDWalker a picture of what it looks like (black part with the thread) would be awesome - thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

I could not position my camera to get a good close-up on the left side - oil tube was in the way.

So, here is the "ear" of the right-side frame mount. The way it looks, there is a nut welded to the back of the support tab. From your description it sounds like the weld broke and the nut is rotating.

You may be able to jam something in, like a tip of the screwdriver, to prevent the nut from rotating and then try to twist the screw out with a vise grip. Pre-soak with penetrant oil. Or, move oil tube out of way, cut bolt off flush and let it fall through the back.

If successful, you could make a square nut for future use or force in one of the spring-loaded captive nuts used for bodywork parts. Or, use one of the self-expanding plastic "rivets". Or, just tie-wrap the oil tube through that hole.

Good luck, Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 08:26 PM
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Thank you this was useful!

Unfortunately even after removing the tank and getting screwdriver jammed in I can't take the screw out. I can see the nut on the other side with a flashlight - doesn't seem like there are any welds on it but I still can't get it out. It seem the only way to fix this would be to remove the front suspension and frame - not something I feel comfortable doing. So I am not sure what the next step is going to be :-(

Mine is 2005 GS so perhaps the design changed on a later models...
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

I doubt if there were any design changes. My '06 and '09 bikes have an identical setup. I believe that the bolt jammed up and the nut broke off the weld.

As this is not a highly-stressed fastener, just supporting the oil tube, I would simply weave a tie-wrap around it and pull the oil tube snug.

Getting to the frame itself is a very big job; I don't think it's worth it.