Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #121
Rangerman
"1987"

Oddometer: 68
Pictures?

Hey Ramotorcycle,
I cannot help you with any suggestions regarding your mechanical issues, hopefully maybe someone else can.
If you are able to, post some pictures of your 96? I am always interested to see XR's.
My favorite bike of all time (except for my 2011 KLR650) was a 1982 XL250R. I bought it for $500.00 back in the early 90's and it was a blast to ride, everywhere! I had previous street bikes that were a lot bigger but I had more fun on that dual purpose bike. I should have held on to it, it was in near mint condition! That experience had everything to do with me buying the 92'XR and the11'KLR, both dual sports.
Picture quality is not real good but you get the idea.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #122
ramotorcycle
Trail Rider

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post
Hey Ramotorcycle,
I cannot help you with any suggestions regarding your mechanical issues, hopefully maybe someone else can.
If you are able to, post some pictures of your 96? I am always interested to see XR's.
I just scoured my computer, and I can't find any pictures of my '96. I'll have got post some, though right now it's buried while I sheetrock my garage. It's largely pristine, though I've got a rear blinker I need to replace. The seat is even in fine, supple condition with the original seat strap.

You mentioned an XL250. I received an XL200 from a friend who'd flogged the thing for years (nary an oil change during that time). It was pretty rough, but I got it fixed back up, and it ran so well. What an easy starter, and a good amount of power for a 200--comparable to some of the 250cc bikes now with the smog stuff on them!

I also had a 1978 XL125 that was in pristine condition--even the original blinkers. The exhaust manifold had never even gotten hot enough to discolor the paint--owned by someone who had it on their RV to putter around campsites. I kick myself for selling it. It's never been run since I sold it--I've tried to buy it back.

I'm tempted on this XR250L to get an XR250R carburetor for it. I cleaned and adjusted the stock one, and it runs smoothly and starts easy, but not quite the snap of the XR250R bikes, of which I have a 1995.

Have a good day.

Andrew

'95 DR350S
'00 DR200SE
'96 XR250L
'95 XR250R
'08 CRF230L
ramotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #123
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 26
Andrew,

I think it is possible that the valve seals are leaking . When it sits oil seeps down and enters the cylinder. I have no simple answer for the midrange vibration . This can create smoking at start up.

Does the vibration only appear when the Xr is being ridden or does it also exist when the bike is at rest and the rpm's are increased to mid rpm range?

That test might indicate if the vib's are inside the engine or being generated at speed from some other source.
Best regard's

Chuck
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #124
ramotorcycle
Trail Rider

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
Andrew,

I think it is possible that the valve seals are leaking . When it sits oil seeps down and enters the cylinder. I have no simple answer for the midrange vibration . This can create smoking at start up.

Does the vibration only appear when the Xr is being ridden or does it also exist when the bike is at rest and the rpm's are increased to mid rpm range?

That test might indicate if the vib's are inside the engine or being generated at speed from some other source.
Best regard's

Chuck
Thanks. I valve seals were my first and best thought too.

Regarding vibration, it is completely RPM related. Sitting still or any gear. I had it pegged to an exact RPM, but that was back when the weather was nice, and I've forgotten the exact RPM.

Andrew

'95 DR350S
'00 DR200SE
'96 XR250L
'95 XR250R
'08 CRF230L
ramotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #125
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramotorcycle View Post
Greetings:
My only problems with the 1996 that I have is that it smokes just a bit on start-up at times (not always), and that it has a vibration at mid-range RPMs. Otherwise, it's a nearly pristine bike. I'd like to think fuel mixture, but am afraid it may be piston slap. Would love to have someone else suggest a simpler reason for vibration. It is smooth on the lower end, and can push through the vibration at higher RPMs.
Andrew
A little smoke on start is typical for the 250L.

Rule out simple stuff for your vibration; does it happen on all roads, check chain and sprockets, straight wheels, good rubber, are brake rotors true, etc, etc.

Post your findings.
JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #126
JohnPainter
XRing

Personally I love all the late 70's and 80's air cooled off road bikes by the big 4, it was a golden age of pure, unadulterated, dirt fun. It was also an age where a teenager could make enough money in a summer or two to buy one. However my first bike was an Indian MX 100 bought new in '76 I paid the whopping sum of $350 for, which was basically an entire summers pay (working on a lobster boat with my uncle) and it was a great little bike but was rough compared to the Japanese bikes I eventually started riding.

Quote:
My favorite bike of all time (except for my 2011 KLR650) was a 1982 XL250R.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #127
Rangerman
"1987"

Oddometer: 68
Old Dirt Bikes

Yea, I remember the first dirt bike I bought was a 70's Penton Six Day 125. I bought it for $50.00, it did not run but that did not matter to me. I learned more about motorcycles with that bike than any other. I wanted to ride it so bad that I spent every waking moment trying to figure out what was wrong with it, eventually employing the help of my friends mechanic dad who showed me about points and timing, which was the problem with it. Other than the wrong throttle cable that was too short the bike was to me as good as new even though it was already over 10 years old. So started my interest in motorcycles.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #128
JohnPainter
XRing

Quote:
Yea, I remember the first dirt bike I bought was a 70's Penton Six Day 125.
Umm Penton! Jesus, what wouldn't I give for one! Talk about classic!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #129
JohnPainter
XRing

Svea 123 camping stove season test

Just finished cleaning up my Svea camp stove for the coming riding/camping season. Love the classic "Svea purrr" these things make, but sometimes you can't see the flame too well, you'll see where I get my first burn of the season. You can get much lighter stoves, but they're not nearly as fun!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #130
JohnPainter
XRing

March 9 2013

It was in the low 50's today, March 9 in Lewiston Maine, so I decided I might as well get cracking. As you can see my driveway and front yard has a lot of snow, but the roads are clear and for now that's good enough!

This image was riding around up the road a bit, it was really kind of pretty in the woods with the snow still on the ground.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #131
JohnPainter
XRing

Indian MT 100

Totally not an XR, but the bike that got me started.

This is me back in 1979 on my Indian MT 100, it was good bike but really couldn't hold it's own against the Big 4 which were just starting to pump out really wound 2-strokes. My next bike was a CR 125 Elsinor with the down pipe (wish I still had that bike) two years later I had a Yamaha IT 175, it was a beast.

In this photo that's my Dad trying to lean out the bike, it always seemed to run rich. No I wasn't riding like that, this was just one of those days spent tinkering with the thing trying to get it to run right.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #132
JohnPainter
XRing

Well that was stupid

I thought I'd go off the road a bit today, follow the track from crane setting the new power lines. Frost and mud! My tires totally sucked in the slop (I should have known!), oh well live and learn. At least it was fun if not messy.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #133
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Hi fellow XRL owners,

I just acquired a 1993 model, which I'm in the process of going thru and fixing up. The stock exhaust header and pipe are in need of a little R&R, and I was curious if the stainless header (and exhaust can) from a later model can be fitted. I don't mind a little bracketry fab if necessary, but I'm curious if the later parts can be fitted. Thanks in advance!
vtduc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #134
Beltway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I just picked up a '94 XR250L and have looked through this thread pretty thoroughly. There is a ton of info, but I haven't found answers to a couple of specific questions regarding what carbs and headers/exhausts will fit on the pre-'96 bikes. .

My understanding is that the L-model pumper carb is not as adjustable as that on the R-model, and will not flow as much air/fuel despite being the same size. My plan is to replace what I've got with an R. Do any of you know what years will bolt right up? Did the carb spec change in '96 along with the rest of the bike, or can I use any R carb from the late '80s through the mid-2000's?

There isn't much sense in improving the intake without doing the exhaust too. I've read that the XR-R headers are 3mm larger in diameter than the L model. My question here is the same as that above: what years will bolt up with minimal modification? I don't mind fabbing new hangers, but don't want to change the flanges or radically re-bend the pipes. Am I limited to pre-'96, which aren't very common, or can I go with one of the newer models which are everywhere?

My apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it. Any help figuring this out would be most appreciated.

Also cross-posting this to the XR250R thread, so apologies if you see it twice.

Cheers.

Beltway screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:56 AM
Beltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #135
LouisPoland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108