Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #16
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman
Sorry for the lack of info. Currently on y 07 525 EXC for planned over nighters in the local deserts, or my 04 625 SMC also for local (within 300 miles) overnighters but in more road friendly type of adventures. I don't expect to be in any rain, over night temps will be in the 40 to 50 degree range. Traveling light without travel racks, probably just a dry bag strapped onto my bike.
If your camping in the desert....I'd take just a tarp, mattress, and a ground sheet.

http://halbertri.tripod.com/tarps.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6XuYW9ypA

Are you fond of scorpions and rattlesnakes?

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 02:15 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #17
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,734
I've used the Integral Designs Unishelter from high camp on Mt. Rainier to the Idaho desert. It is a cross between a conventional bivi shelter and a one-man tent. The design keeps your head and upper body open but the whole thing weighs less than 2 pounds.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...TOKEN=71073446

If your confident in the lower temperatures it is hard to beat the Big Agnes Pitchpine bag with a matching air pad.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/PitchpineSL

The whole bivy tent, bag, and pad would all pack into a normal sized sleeping bag stuff sack.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
brianm767
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
--"planned over nighters in the local deserts"

Deserts... that's probably not a great place for hammocks.

I like this single man tent... it packs very, very small.
http://store.eurekatent.com/products...country_1_Tent

8'x3'... I'm 6' and can keep most of my gear down at the foot. Also recommend Synmat 9 (sleeping pad). Amazon has a pretty good deal on them.
When I was looking for a tent and was determined to get a one man, the Back Country was one that was highly recomended by numerous moto campers, I came very close to getting one untill I was convinced to get a 2 man.
Amazon has them for $121.65 delivered, but for about the same price, REI outlet has the Big Agness Fairview 1 man tent and it has a full rain fly.
http://www.rei.com/product/801347

I went with a two man becuase it was only a few inches longer in pack size, same diameter and I figured the bike could haul the extra pound or two. if I was backpacking or size and weight was critical, it would be a different story.

My problem was it's overwhelming, there are so many tents available, so many brands prices etc, I got mine due to it's price, it was almost $200 off list, but honestly, allot of tents I've seen that are normally under $100 are just as nice as the one I got. find a prior year model on close out, and get a good deal.

brianm767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
Dirt_Bag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have a REI half dome 2. 2 man tent=1 full rain fly, 2 doors and vests for each. good ventalation but still warm. easy setup. Small packed size. my thermarest pad is almost as big as the tent.
Dirt_Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,736
Lots of questionable advice here.
You need a tent, bag and pad that match.

Want to go small?

This:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...elters/hilight

This:
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...e-plus/product

This:
http://marmot.com/products/arroyo?p=117,173,74

You can screw around and buy junk or get the best and be done with it.
If you camp in the desert you better get a tent that closes it's vents tight or carry a broom for when the wind blows your tent full of dirt. That means a four season tent.
Please check the packed size of the gear I am using and note the quality.

Camping without a tent in the desert I got bitten in the mouth by a scorpion that came to drink my drool.
This is no shit, it felt like someone hit me in the mouth with a ball bat.

I didn't die but my mouth swelled up super bee sting style.

We were in Goblin Valley, UT. I never woke my buddies up, just lay there wondering and a little high on the poison. Not an unpleasant feeling as I drifted off.

Now I have a good, simple tent and use it every night I camp without exception.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 08:30 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
larryi52
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Tents

I really like the MSR Hubba Hubba tent. It is the one most recommended by Touratech-USA and they are dead on. It is a two man tent that packs down very small for fitting into panniers. Also, a simple silk sleeping bag should handle warmer weather camping. If it gets too cold in the dessert at night then go for a rectangular 40 degree bag for around $60 at most sporting good stores.
larryi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862488
If I did not already own a Lost Ranger and several other bags,I'd be all over this!

For tent,look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur series,the one person is one of the roomiest and lightest self supporting true one man tents.
I like it for the side entry and the solid lower sidewalls means less chance of rain,sand,etc blowing into your tent,but still ventilates very well.(Yes folks,I'm aware of Tarptent and all the other UL shelters out there)

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
If your over six foot tall be sure to read reviews from tall users as this can be a real issue with many designs.

Like everything else tent designs have really improved in recent years, on a big heavy bike I'll often carry a 2 man tent "why not" on an enduro bike where water, fuel and space get more important I go for the minimum.

It isn't the minimum but a tarptent moment is a pretty spacious tent that ventilates very well, is affordable and light. It also sets up very easily with two stakes and one pole.

I don't like bugs and use a mountain laurel designs patrol shelter along with a serenity bug bivy often for dry desert rides, the tarp covers freak storms and the whole deal will fit in a large pocket, depending on your mattress make sure whatever shelter you choose is compatible width wise.

Sparrowhawk mentioned the ID unishelter, expensive maybe overkill and not very roomy but it is also my go to choice for many trips when high winds and things really going totally to hell are a probability.

I like western mountaineering bags, again expensive but a down bag if taken reasonable care of is a 20 year plus investment.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW View Post
I can't recommend a hammock strongly enough.
I sleep like a baby. Wake up without any aches and pains.
Best camping I've ever done. And very well suited to motorcycle adventures.

Warbonnet Blackbird is my current favorite. But I've tried several others.

So, there's an answer to a question you didn't ask.
This.

Since I started using a Hennessy Hammock, I have only resorted to my tent when there was no choice. Not only is it supremely comfortable to sleep in with no soreness or stiffness in the morning, it also packs to the size of a football and you could pitch it on the ground like a little tent if you had to.

My tent, btw, is a Kelty Gunnison 2. It's a good tent at a reasonable price, with two doors and two vestibules, but I always miss my hammock when I use it.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
THUMPER0475
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I typically buy quality brand name items. I was in a pinch just before a big ride and had my daughter head for REI and Walmart to compare. She bought the walmart tent. I wasn't happy at the time but she did save me $150. hard to complain to much. Frankly, the tent works fine. My thought was if it broke or leaked i'd just chuck it. I've had it for 3 years with no problems yet. Does it work better than I thought? Absolutely. Perfect for summer rides. Just my 2 cents.
THUMPER0475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
MSR hubba hubba gets my vote also. Perfect for one and gear. They also make a one and three or for person version. Poles are short which helps with packing, great ventilation and quick setup. A few years ago backpacker magazine recomended it in their gear evaluation. You can see it reviewed on youtube.
wee-twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
If you are bike camping, weight isn't really a huge factor. Try using a super lightweight tent built for hiking and you usually have to spend alot of money. That big money tent sucks when you pack it away on the bike, ride hard on rough trails and open it to find it's had a hole rubbed in it from bouncing around with other junk or rubbing against whatever you strapped it to.

I have a good tent for hiking because weight does matter. For bike camping, I learned that a cheap ass Wallmart tent does just as well at keeping the bugs out and if you throw away that little rain fly it comes with and use a good large sil-nylon tarp, it's just as waterproof and you get a nice "porch" outta the deal and you still have less in the whole deally. If a hole does get rubbed in it or you rash it while wrecking so what, a whole 50$ or less {the smaller 2man is really a 1 man with some room for gear and cost like 20-25$} wasted. Just carry a repair kit for small tears and or broken poles and you have it made. I don't even use a ground cloth on the cheapy tents.

Now, if I'm packin it in on my back,,,,, yea, spend the money for "light".

Sleeping bag???? If you have room, Walmart has a synthetic bag rated at 10-30 degrees that packs fairly small, Coleman Max I think. Have a bit more room? They have a 0-20 degree bag made by Coleman also and it's called the Traverse I think. Either bag is around 60$ and I sorta suspect those temp ratings so a 20 degree Max might actually be a 30-35 degree bag and the the Traverse might well be a 20-30 degree bag. Good thing is that it's sold by Walmart,,, if it doesn't live up to your expectations,,, take the sucker back.

If you are really wanting small packed size and a bit of warmth though, no choice but to spend a bit more. I like down and I have a 40 degree 750 fill bag that packs down to nerf foot ball size. Also have a 10 degree bag that packs down to foot ball size. But if you are amping in Washington state,,,, you will need to either spend real big money on the new hydrophobic down bags with a water resistant shell or go with the synthetics like the Walmart.

What ever bag you choose you will need a good pad and if it's cold {less than 40 degrees}, you better get a decent insulated one. I hate big, bulky foam pads so I have a Exped and a BA insulated versions. They are fairly light and warm. For summer use, a cheap {like under 20$}, inflatable Walmart matress works great, is perfectly reliable {I have one that's well over 5 years old and has been used repeatedly} if a bit bulky and heavy.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Great info gentlemen. To everyone still offering recommendations; you do you realize this was a 3 year old post that was bumped to the top, right? I sure hope he has made up his mind by now. It is good that people search older posts for ideas and maybe re-open them to ask similar questions but if you search for a thread and are giving advice make sure it is a recent topic.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
My Bibler sucks in hot weather... no ventilation (newer ones are better) it's really a mountaineering tent & works best in cold. But... it packs small & is 4 1/2 pounds. Big Ag bag... lighter & smaller than any with similar temp rating due to the no floor design.
I have the Bibler Ahwanee II, Great venting when you want it. And bomb proof when you need it to be.

The only thing I hate about it, is the setup. Trying to put those poles inside without poking a hole through the bottom is a real pain in the ass. If the only just put hangers on the outside shell of that tent, like Hilleberg, it would be the cats ass in tents.
In my opinion anyway.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Great info gentlemen. To everyone still offering recommendations; you do you realize this was a 3 year old post that was bumped to the top, right? I sure hope he has made up his mind by now. It is good that people search older posts for ideas and maybe re-open them to ask similar questions but if you search for a thread and are giving advice make sure it is a recent topic.
Yep, didn't pay it a bit of notice.

But no biggie, maybe someone else can use the advise.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote