Talk about an extension of one's body.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #27272
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It'll get easier. Just keep doing what you're doing. Also, quit doubting yourself. Confidence is everything, on a MTB.
Doubt is nature's way of telling me not to do stupid things.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #27273
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
k7, great report.
Took me back to my racing/training days. The world from aboard the bike in the early morning chill is just a very cool thing to experience.
I could almost hear those old sew-ups sing.
Back then our usual Saturday morning training rides were 100 miles +. 125 would have been on the longest we'd done. none of our races were ever anywhere near that long. CAT I/II sometimes if it was a big event. CAT III's and IV's never. More like 50 or 60. Lots of climbing and usually wind.

I recall more than a few Saturdays were we got back to downtown in the late afternoon, entirely beat and almost too tired to drive home. I never got to where I could ride the 28 miles from home to the ride start and back and do the ride.

I do miss being in condition to do that stuff.

Great job.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #27274
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,899
My ride yesterday had a humbling moment. I am by no means an expert rider, and I am not that fast either. But, I have a ton of fun on the trails and I am getting faster/smoother the more I ride.

Yesterday there were these two kids at the start of the trail needing help with the rear hub on one of their single speed MTBs (they both were on singles). I lent them my Allen wrenches and stayed around in case they needed help. Well, they finally got the hub aligned, so I took off on the trail while they talked a few more minutes.

Well, about 2 miles into the ride they come blasting past me, radio blaring, both singing at the top of their lungs, "I wear my sunglasses at night!" Talk about having fun! I tried to keep up, but these kids were flying on their single speeds and I was already huffing and puffing so keeping up was a loosing effort!

Lessons of the day: 1) Ride more 2) Have even more fun 3) Loose weight.

Overall, even though my legs were shot from the beginning, it was still fun to be out on the trail.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #27275
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

Not a long gray beard or helmet mirror in the bunch? Dammit man, we've got cycling stereotypes to maintain here!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #27276
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Not a long gray beard or helmet mirror in the bunch? Dammit man, we've got cycling stereotypes to maintain here!

Another rider posted a report and included this picture. It's hard to see but we, the three recumbents were still taking the lead.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #27277
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Haven't touched a bike in 9-months due to my son being born, and all the preparation happing for his arrival (nursery, guest house) and many other "old house" problems. So yesterday I finally found some time go get out and enjoy some dirt.

72 degrees and sunny! 11.2 miles and it felt like I rode 80. Technical chops still there, but endurance was dust in the wind. Still, ended with a big smile on my face.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #27278
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
ok all you road bike proficient guys out here tell me what i need to know for mounting up a carbon fork.... i can do headsets all day long but do i need to know anything special about a carbon fork, like TQ specs and such? also any specifics for stem types? putting a cannondale SI full carbon fork on this beast...which is also getting a new BB, crankset, shifters, and deraileurs.... also going to swap from threaded to threadless.... i know i need a new headset and some spacers....LOL

bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #27279
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 570
Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #27280
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
The only thing I can think of when looking at this picture is how much it would suck to fall on that cactus.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #27281
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
ok all you road bike proficient guys out here tell me what i need to know for mounting up a carbon fork.... i can do headsets all day long but do i need to know anything special about a carbon fork, like TQ specs and such? also any specifics for stem types? putting a cannondale SI full carbon fork on this beast...which is also getting a new BB, crankset, shifters, and deraileurs.... also going to swap from threaded to threadless.... i know i need a new headset and some spacers....LOL
Without seeing the bike in person, I don't think you can. That appears to have a 1" steerer and threadless is 1-1/8". I don't know what the diameter of that headtube is, but, that'll be the hangup. You can download this Cane Creek tech file that shows headset specs (page #5). They have the dimensions listed for what'll fit what.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #27282
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
threadless also came in 1" and 1-1/4".
but you have a point; the steerer tube dims will need to be the same.

Quote:
Without seeing the bike in person, I don't think you can. That appears to have a 1" steerer and threadless is 1-1/8". I don't know what the diameter of that headtube is, but, that'll be the hangup. You can download this Cane Creek tech file that shows headset specs (page #5). They have the dimensions listed for what'll fit what.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #27283
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The only thing I can think of when looking at this picture is how much it would suck to fall on that cactus.
You have no idea how much it sucks when you get into the wrong ones. Google 'jumping cholla' and come back.

I used to bring foreceps and a multitool to go running in the desert. Pretty much every run I was picking cholla out of either the dog or me.

...and don't get me started on goatheads. I picked 20+ out of the ex-'s tires after one ride. Thank doG for Slime!

M
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #27284
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Ritchey, Serotta and at least one more all make 1" t-less forks.

Personally, unless you're dead set on having a frankenbike, hit up Pricepoint.com and get one of their AL road frames.

The only thing a carbon fork does is drop some weight and absorb some of the road buzz. Big hits still feel like big hits. On the downside, its more fragile, you won't be able to get as many spacers under the stem like you've got now unless you're using at least an AL steerer (or steel) if you can find one, and well... save your $ for that pricepoint frame above.

M
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #27285
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You have no idea how much it sucks when you get into the wrong ones. Google 'jumping cholla' and come back.

I used to bring foreceps and a multitool to go running in the desert. Pretty much every run I was picking cholla out of either the dog or me.
I used to visit my grandparents in Tucson and I remember those Jumping Chollas.

The barbs must have hooks in them because it hurts like hell to pull them out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: