Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #106
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
The deal I made with the nephews prior to the ride was that I would try most anything but they had to agree going in...... "don't ride anything that you don't want to ride twice......and one of those times with me on the back". While it never came to that.......it got damn close.

The river crossing? I felt I had that. The rocks were saucer to small dinner plate sized and while there was some algae, nothing like the James River in Texas (our most notorious crossing which I have successfully done ;)) and not nearly as deep as the Shaw's Bend Colorado Crossing can be.

But after negotiating the first section and about 15% of the big crossing I stopped and The Big Ugly's tires started to sink into the rocks. nephew1 waded out and explained that he would take it from there as he didn't want our trip to end that day with a swamped bike. I reluctantly agreed.

Probably a good call in Mexico....but back home it would have been on...like Donkey Kong. lol

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:51 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #107
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Rick found a tiny flaw in his " I'll just put on everything I brought" cold weather plan at 33 degrees in Zaragoza. lol

Temperature extremes were from 104 to 33 and that was in 36 hours.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #108
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Can't say enough good things about Rick so let me just say....he is a good man and I'm proud to know him. I felt I had a good read on him in a short convo on the phone (and a little adv and fb vetting/stalking) ....and I did. But jeez. We all know how much it could have sucked.

Easy keeper. Fun. Adventurous.

Invite him along on your next big adventure. No worries.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 09:32 AM
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #109
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
[QUOTE=slowoldguy;20748563
And just so ya know, it's rarely the bike that makes the difference on a ride like ours. It's usually the rider. I don't know much about the little Trumpet but it would probably do well enough, kitted out appropriately with a competent rider.

Back to the fun.[/QUOTE]

That's where I'm coming from. Your RR illustrates where the weak link is.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #110
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Interesting Concept

Oooh. Here's a topic for us. How many of y'all have experienced what I have come to call mountain fever? I got it day 3 of this trip. Came on in the afternoon and stayed with me to Tolantongo. Very debilitating. Gone by the next morning. I have had it before and it can happen on paved or dirt but I know it has something to do with heights. You just suddenly and without warning loose your equilibrium....or something..... and get this feeling that there is a giant magnet on the cliff side of the road trying to suck your bike over the edge. Takes forever to get over it if you try to ride through it but then it is gone and you are back to just normal blood curdling appropriate fear levels.

I've never thought about that as a phenomenon. Very interesting idea. A buddy and I (pedese) rode from Tikal (Flores) down towards Lanquin on day on a trip a few Summers ago. I noticed this in his riding later on in the day. He is a decent rider on the dirt, but late in the day he slowed down to like 10 miles an hour and I had to slow down too. I had to tell him to get in behind me and try to mimic what I did. In my opinion he was going so slow that it was dangerous. I felt he was not keeping his speed up enough to keep gravity at bay. We made it to Lanquin and the next day he was wiped out mentally and did not want to ride up to Semuc Champey to see the pools of water. He was great the next day after a break...but that long day through the mountains broke something in him temporarily. He was awsome the next day...I just thought he did not like the dirt that much...but now looking back, this must have bee what happened. He said he had lost his equilibrium a little and felt like he was riding dangerously unsafe even at very low speeds.

bingo43 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:43 AM Reason: error
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #111
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post

I've never thought about that as a phenomenon. Very interesting idea. A buddy and I (pedese) rode from Tikal (Flores) down towards Lanquin on day on a trip a few Summers ago. I noticed this in his riding later on in the day. He is a decent rider on the dirt, but late in the day he slowed down to like 10 miles an hour and I had to slow down too. I had to tell him to get in behind me and try to mimic what I did. In my opinion he was going so slow that it was dangerous. I felt he was not keeping his speed up enough to keep gravity at bay. We made it to Lanquin and the next day he was wiped out mentally and did not want to ride up to Semuc Champey to see the pools of water. He was great the next day after a break...but that long day through the mountains broke something in him temporarily. He was awsome the next day...I just thought he did not like the dirt that much...but now looking back, this must have bee what happened. He said he had lost his equilibrium a little and felt like he was riding dangerously unsafe even at very low speeds.

Yup. That's it. Exactly. It's that fuckin' magnet. Ask him about it. ;)

Anybody who knows me knows that speed, street or flat-ish dirt or gravel, is just not a problem for me. But when the Fever hits? I could ride a tricycle faster around the switchbacks.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:27 PM
Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #112
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
That's where I'm coming from. Your RR illustrates where the weak link is.
On modern bikes, and certainly on bikes as capable as ours, we will always be the weak link.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have "suggested" to younger riders that they learn to ride the bike they have (rather than blame the bike).

The perfect bike doesn't exist. They are all compromises. Uhhh...I gotta stop. Said I wouldn't preach. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 02:59 PM
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #113
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Looks like you guys had a blast.Tom did both of thoses KTM's make the whole trip with only one of them not starting?
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #114
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Joe.They ran real well for carbed bikes. And it was 33.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #115
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

But the Big Ugly finished second in the All Mexico Drags. ;)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #116
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Kudos

Thanks Tom,
And I found some hard riding rascals where there is never a dull moment. Helpful in all regards from helping fix flats to tying down a bike. Tom is a great mentor, giving me helpful insight. What a trip he laid out, I didn't know MX had that many curves.
Thanks for letting me tag-a-long....
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #117
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Rick. Any chance your skills include making a google map of our routes you can post on the thread? I have had some requests and ,as you know, that is far beyond my abilities.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #118
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Hmm

I'll start working on it....
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #119
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Until that happens ........

I used these maps for routing. So. Much. Better. for dirt roads. The Guia Roji is incompetent for secondary pavement and downright dangerous for dirt roads.

http://www.grupobm.com/Localizador%2...ador_mapas.htm

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 07:56 PM
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #120
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Things that worked on the trip:

The Motofizz camping bag. Simply outstanding. Secure. Huge. Well thought out. I want the black one.

My BMW Savanna2 jacket and Airflow 2 pants with BMW goretex liner. As good as it gets for temps from 104 to 33. But I'm not very cold sensitive. Or sensitive. ;)

The BMW low seat. I'm 6'3" but having that extra purchase saved my ass several times. With the Alaska Leathers Barb's Buttpad it was comfortable enough (but I'm not very butt sensitive either).

The big giant Adventurer's Workshop risers. Great for standing. Adequate for sport-biking. Reasonable trade-off this trip.

The TT LC tankbag. Maybe the only bargain in the whole damn catalog. Perfect size.

Under-Armor T-shirt and man girdle underwear. Wash it in the sink. Dries fast. Ready to go again.

TKC 80 front. The perfect front tire. Can hoon on the street and still bites down in the dirt. Outrageously good.

TKC 80 rear. Not perfect on the street. Slowed me down from my Anakee2/Tourance pace but still pretty decent. Massively better in the dirt than anything else. And , for this trip, it was the right choice. Almost gone at 1800 miles so very expensive to run.

The afore-mentioned INEGI free downloadable maps. Out of date but country roads don't change much.

My own adaptation. I used a Belkin armband for iphone as an ankle wallet inside my boot. Secure, reasonably waterproof, and worked like a champ.

My little dry bag for my insurance papers, etc worn on a lanyard. $10 at Academy. Always had it close. Not uncomfortable at all.

AT&T iphone with a data plan and 80 minutes of voice. Nice to have. Verizon sucked. Everywhere.

My Hyper-Pros. Worked great. Dialed up the pre-load about 4 full turns and some road manners came back. Worked fantastic in the dirt. Never bottomed.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 08:51 PM