Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #1621
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
As if I needed more airplanes... I just picked up these little treats from a friend who was downsizing his collection.

It's an F4U Corsair, 65" span, an ARF by Hangar 9. And, an Extra 300 built from a kit, although I haven't figured out which one yet. 58" span. Whoever built it did a nice job, but I want to make a few mods before I cover it. Primarily bigger control surfaces.

Both are supposedly sized for a .60 2-stroke. I want to go electric, and I think I want to go a little bigger. Perhaps something like this for both: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...esc-p-328.html

Hangar 9 says the Corsair flies well with an E-Flite Power 60, but that's because Horizon Hobby owns them. I've become rather anti-E-Flite lately. Any other suggestions for a powerplant?
I had an Ohio RC 1/3 scale Extra 300S with a 3W twin in it....it was a blast, but huge to transport. I have a little .30 size Extra that I bought to build and cover the same as the big one, but never finished the little one...then sold the big one. They're a fun plane, but I prefer the Edge or even a Yak over the Extra. I should electrify the little one I have and fly it...

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #1622
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
The largest electric I have is a VQ P39...I just dug up an old thread on wattflyer and found out I finished this plane in 2009 and it is still going strong...on the original battery...I actually don't think they make this guy anymore, but it has about a 5' wingspan and ready to fly IIRC comes in at about 12lbs. Sweet flying plane....like a big trainer.

If you are intrested I will look up and see what I have stuck in it....but with the march of time I would be there are much better systems now then in 2009.

Quote:
As if I needed more airplanes... I just picked up these little treats from a friend who was downsizing his collection.

It's an F4U Corsair, 65" span, an ARF by Hangar 9. And, an Extra 300 built from a kit, although I haven't figured out which one yet. 58" span. Whoever built it did a nice job, but I want to make a few mods before I cover it. Primarily bigger control surfaces.

Both are supposedly sized for a .60 2-stroke. I want to go electric, and I think I want to go a little bigger. Perhaps something like this for both: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...esc-p-328.html

Hangar 9 says the Corsair flies well with an E-Flite Power 60, but that's because Horizon Hobby owns them. I've become rather anti-E-Flite lately. Any other suggestions for a powerplant?
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1623
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
If you are intrested I will look up and see what I have stuck in it....but with the march of time I would be there are much better systems now then in 2009.
Sure, if it's no trouble. Whatever info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650

Saget screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 10:12 AM
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #1624
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 610
Horizon is having a blowout - $65 shipped on Amazon for the UMX Stryker, and UMX GeeBee (AKA Choad plane).

Just ordered a choad myself!!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #1625
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
any companies make large scale kits of drones. I would love to buzz a drone around the area and freak people out. I know on some of the larger models i have see its are hard to tell how big they are from a distance and after watching for a minute realizing its a RC plane
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #1626
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
That mini Stryker looks awesome. I can't wait for mine to arrive. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #1627
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
any companies make large scale kits of drones. I would love to buzz a drone around the area and freak people out. I know on some of the larger models i have see its are hard to tell how big they are from a distance and after watching for a minute realizing its a RC plane
There is at least one MQ-9 Reaper kit out there.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #1628
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #1629
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,710
The lower vert stab needs to be longer, and needs a rollerblade wheel at the tip.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #1630
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottz View Post
Thanks everyone for your help - no I checked that box fifty times re the antenna - and no lights blinking at all...so must be a power issue somewhere - job for tomorrow!!!!
Thanks everyone - fixed....a wire had come loose (badly soldered)...my apprentice sparky son fixed it in two minutes flat...however disassembly and re-assembly took a whole lot longer!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #1631
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
EDIT! I re-read that and noticed you said the antenna is missing completely. When I bought mine the antenna was lying in the carboard box loose. Check there first as it may not be in the styrofoam box!

Is it the FM (crystal) version of the 2.4Ghz version?

If it's the FM, check that the crystals are both seated in their sockets. Also, if you unscrew the seven, if I recall correctly, screws on the underside and disconnect the smoke tubes the top of the tank will separate from the base. Be careful not to pull on any wires.

Then you can access the turret and make sure the wire going to the antenna is terminated and not loose or broken. Trace it back to the control box inside the tank.
We did find the antenna too....it was in the tracks of all places...!!! So all is fixed now after re-soldering a connection from the battery - thanks for your help - cheers
Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #1632
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 610
My wife brought me on a birthday shopping spree on Saturday morning - I came home with the new double brushless MCPX!!

It's pretty damn amazing right out of the box!! Flew today in 20-30mph wind and handled it like a champ. Love it, and love my wife
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #1633
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure, if it's no trouble. Whatever info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sorry it took a little while but here is what is in the P-39

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3727

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7638

they don't make the motor anylonger, but it was a 40 equilvent motor....next time it is down I will pop off the prop and unscrew the cowl and shoot a pic....I really can't remember what it was.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #1634
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottz View Post
Thanks everyone - fixed....a wire had come loose (badly soldered)...my apprentice sparky son fixed it in two minutes flat...however disassembly and re-assembly took a whole lot longer!!!
Good deal....enjoy the tank. I have had mine for about a year or so now. While it does not get used every day it has held up quite well.

Mine has the plastic tracks and they had finally streached to the point where I had to remove one of the links....she is good to go now.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #1635
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
My wife brought me on a birthday shopping spree on Saturday morning - I came home with the new double brushless MCPX!!

It's pretty damn amazing right out of the box!! Flew today in 20-30mph wind and handled it like a champ. Love it, and love my wife

We'll expect a video like this by Weds.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: