User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
madpuma13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Ticking noise?

I have an issue that may not be a real issue and be in my head.

My '08 GS has a ticking noise at least I think thats what it is. At first i thought it was a metal rattling noise, as if something wasnt tightened up. But after checking all the likly suspects, I think it may be something else.

It is coming from the left side and today I realized it seems to be in sync with engine rpm. I've done some soft searches but all i can find is a chain tensioner issue that only makes its noise on start up. I can just barely hear this ticking while riding and after plenty of time for the engine to warm up.

The nearest dealer to me is over an hour away and I dont have the time to drive it down there and wait around for it to be diagnosed right now. Hoping this is an issue that can be dealt with easily.
madpuma13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
You may need to upgrade your ear plugs. If the '08 is anything like the '04, if it doesn't make scary noises, it isn't happy.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
madpuma13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

:p that may be it because the bike is running fine otherwise. I just never noticed the sound before. And I don't like that it's only happening on one side

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,749

Year and model of GS? If your phone has an audio recorder, make a good recording of it. That usually means not having the mic right on top of the noise. Send the file over. Check your PMs for my email address.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
madpuma13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's an 08 gs. I'll work on getting the file out to you during lunch. It's a pretty light noise in comparison to the normal engine/exhaust noise but I'll see if the recording will pick it up.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Poolside
Syndicated

If you can hear it a phone will usually record it ok. Position your head where you can hear the noise clearly, turn the mic toward the noise and hold the phone in front of your face.

I'll check for the file later. Did you say the sound is different when the motor is warm? It happens while riding? What RPM range? It happens when revving the motor in neutral?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuma13 View Post
It's an 08 gs. I'll work on getting the file out to you during lunch. It's a pretty light noise in comparison to the normal engine/exhaust noise but I'll see if the recording will pick it up.

Hello madpuma13, I have a 13 GSA and it makes all kinds of noises. I am new to BMW all together so I cant help but I will say this is one noisy power plant. It was quiet as a mouse for the first 300 miles, then it has gotten louder as miles progress. It has been serviced and is full of oil, and never gets hot, so I assume these noises are somewhat normal. I wear ear plugs anyway so I only notice the noises occasionally. Best wishes. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Poolside
Syndicated

That's true, Puma. The boxers make all kinds of death rattles. It's at least nice to know what noise is though.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,153
throttle body would be a good start
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Fuel injectors make a ticking noise.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
sunlinden
Fun Muncher

Oddometer: 106
Maybe one of your valves is a little loose and needs adjusting. When I last adjusted my valves, I did so making one side a little loose by accident. When I started it up, I noticed a ticking noise. I then readjusted the valves and back to normal. Wouldn't hurt to check.
sunlinden is offline   Reply With Quote