Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #571
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
hdb handguards

While we are on the topic of hdb.

I want to order a set of handguards. What are the husas top clamp pattern? And do we have fat bars? Ive got a 2011 390

Do we just order one of the ktm kits?
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #572
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
While we are on the topic of hdb.

I want to order a set of handguards. What are the husas top clamp pattern? And do we have fat bars? Ive got a 2011 390

Do we just order one of the ktm kits?
KTM and fatbar.

Great product. Well worth the extra $$ over the so so brands.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #573
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952

Nice, you seem to be packing more gear on the Hussy these days. As the weather gets colder, I do the same thing. I did something similar with my rear subframe/fender assembly too. I am planning to run the Tour of Idaho at the end of July or first part of August. I'm having trouble finding anyone with cajones enough to go along in my circle of riding buddies, so I'll probably be soloing like you seem to do. I guess it'll be just me and my SPOT. I'm still riding back and forth to work in the snow and on the ice, can't wait for the mounains to start to thaw around here. I'm envious of your ability to ride during the winter down there. Anyway, nicely done on the bike and if you get bored around the end of July/beginning of August, well you look pretty dang self sufficient you're welcome to come along on the Tour of Idaho.

Thank you, yeah winter time travels take a warm/bigger sleeping bag and some extra clothes, I still try to keep my pack to a minimum when possible. When the opportunity arose to grab some firewood while at high elevations for the night I jumped on it, not much wood in DV. That's a fair amount of weight on the plastic subframe, but it help up for another 100 miles of dirt road/trail riding just fine. Good stuff.

You'll have a great time on the Tour of Idaho, I rode it a few years back on my F800GS and while I can't claim I completed the challenge according to Martins requests, I did ride 90% of it and was able to ride some of the more difficult single track, like the King Pete Trail. Massacre Mountain proved to be too much for me on a big bike, solo, loaded with camping gear. Was fun to try though.

I would love to do it on the Husa, especially if treating it like an endurance race to see how fast it can be done. Was hoping to do it this coming year, and if timing works out I'll let you know. 2 Husa's are better than one.
You will need to have at least a 200 mile range for one section, even more if they don't have gas in Shoup though so be prepared. Nothing a Safari tank and an MSR bag can't take care of on our efficient bikes.
You can get tires in Pocatello, and in Coeur D'Alene so having 3000+ mile tires isn't really needed IMO, and you'll want good traction for the ride, most of the "tough" sections are on the southern part, but wet weather sure could change things everywhere. I was lucky and had dry conditions most of the way.

Here's photos from my trip, though I did the TAT from the east, then the CDR, then rode the Tour south from the Canadian border, then finished the western TAT. Oh man how I would love to do this ride on the Husaberg!

http://lostrider.smugmug.com/Motorcy...1138&k=qvG8rhC

As for tires, I killed the Tractionator Enduro I/T in less than a thousand mile recently, EXCELLENT performance, but like as a I/T softer tire it didn't last too long. Tractionator Desert H/T going back on the husa soon for my SoCal traveling needs.

Tractionator Enduro I/T

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #574
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

I purchased enduro engineering handguards for a previous bike and I wasnt overly impressed by them.
They are very strong and I would say I put them to the test, but they turn after a hard fall and have to be re-clocked. Also the mounting clamp damaged my brake hose after a bad crash.

The hdb guards look like a better solution.

Thanks for the info
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #575
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
The hdb guards look like a better solution.
+1

I have then. Solid as a rock. BUT, you do need the HDB top clamp. You can optionally integrate turn signals into the guards (which I wish I had done).

Oh, and the fold-out mirrors rock too. They're adequate for street riding and I find them great for trail riding so I can see where my riding buddies are with a quick glance rather than turning around and taking my attention off the trail.
http://photos.boggis.com

BogeyMan screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:18 PM
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #576
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
+1

I have then. Solid as a rock. BUT, you do need the HDB top clamp. You can optionally integrate turn signals into the guards (which I wish I had done).
Agreed. I got the turn signals and mirrors. Mirrors were useless to me as I am so tall but the signals look great. Make sure you buy the flasher if you have LED rear signals. If you don't they will not flash, just constant light. Ask me how I know. Lol.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #577
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Thanks Brian! It was a good ride, something better done while I was a single man,...

Two Husa's would be perfect for the TID... I hope it works out, your passion for commuting in the snow on you Husa says good things about your riding attitude.l

Personally, when running the TID on the Husa I would be running D606's, a tire that I can find at any MC dealer in the area and one that will last for the meat of the one way ride. Might run a Pirelli Scorpion Rally or XC front though, another long lasting DOT knob with excellent all around performance. No Tractionators on a ride that might very well be wet and muddy. I would want fresh tires instead of making compromises, a 606 rear at least is perfect for the TID, I don't mind the front either though I usually choose something else for some reason.

All of our posts about HDB CS were moved by Mods to the basement because they are off topic in this thread.
That why I reposted my reply that got swept away too, taking out the HDB bits. Lets try to keep this thread on topic as laid out in the OP, makes for nice and neat threads with easy to find specific info for all to use. Vendor reviews don't belong here or in the Thumper forum in general. There's HDB threads in Equipment and Vendors for that sort of thing.

LostRider.com
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #578
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been trying to find a used Cush hub wheel for my bike for quite a while with no luck. Would like to keep my stock wheel set up as is with a dirt oriented tire. Looked at Woody's wheel but $970 before sprocket, rotor, tire, and tube is getting out of my price range.

Found that they still sale new 640 wheels and sprocket carriers. Motorsport has the cush wheel at $420 and sprocket carrier at $140 plus $30 for dampers.

I know the Woody's wheel uses a billet RAD hub, stronger rim, and better lacing but I am wondering if it is worth that much more to Someone like me? I can probably afford the new oem now but would have to wait a while on the Woodys wheel.

What do you all think? Keep looking for a good used wheel? Buy the oem wheel for $590? Or wait and get the Woody's wheel for $970 in 6-8 months? Obviously money is a factor. I can't spend a ton but I want to to do some long highway miles without worry about my countershaft and would like to smooth out the ride. Thanks for any help!

Joe
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #579
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
I have been trying to find a used Cush hub wheel for my bike for quite a while with no luck.
apologies if you've seen it already joe. i posted ages back about using a TE610E rear wheel i picked up complete with a good tire for $200. just added a few washers on the disc side as it was a narrower hub and been too lazy to get an appropriate wheel spacer machined for it. it was a silver rim so just picked up a cheap KTM EXC silver front wheel to match. kind of handy as i can have a set of aggressive knobbies on the berg wheels and more adv-oriented tires on the old wheels with cush drive hub.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #580
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
apologies if you've seen it already joe. i posted ages back about using a TE610E rear wheel i picked up complete with a good tire for $200. just added a few washers on the disc side as it was a narrower hub and been too lazy to get an appropriate wheel spacer machined for it. it was a silver rim so just picked up a cheap KTM EXC silver front wheel to match. kind of handy as i can have a set of aggressive knobbies on the berg wheels and more adv-oriented tires on the old wheels with cush drive hub.
No, I hadn't seen that. Had seen where a certain husky wheel would fit but wasn't sure which bike. I will have to add that to my search criteria! Thanks.

I am in the same boat as wanting 2 rear wheels. One a 50/50 and the other a 10/90 setup. Unfortunately here in the states the 2011 models came with silver wheels. This is one of the few cases where it is nice to have that; easier to match them up.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #581
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/part...ktm-640-e.html

This is a pretty new post. You might be able to pick up the 640 rear wheel.

If all you do is adventure ride the 640 wheels will be fine. If you ride it like a dirt bike I would reccomend woodys wheels

Hope this helps

SmileyRider screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:55 PM Reason: I done goofed
Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #582
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/part...ktm-640-e.html

This is a pretty new post. You might be able to pick up the 640 rear wheel.

If all you do is adventure ride the 640 wheels will be fine. If you ride it like a dirt bike I would reccomend woodys wheels

Hope this helps
Thanks for the help!

Oddly enough, the guy selling that wheel had an add on here last week that had the same wheel in it. The thread was deleted because of a rule violation. I still PMed him and he said that someone backed out and that I could have it. I was ready to purchase but upon closer inspection noticed rust all around the nipples, spokes, and hub on the close photos he sent me. For that price I expect the wheel to be in a lot better shape! Before I could reply and change my mind he was banned on here ("temporarily" for an unrelated incident according to a mod) and I have not heard from since. He is brand new on here and that forum. Seems pretty shady. Thanks for the link though!

I want to put a k60 on the Cush wheel and ride it like a true dual sport bike. I would keep my stock wheel with a d606 on it for aggressive off road. You think the Cush wheel will hold up to that?

* in that link Motorfiets (from this forum) called dibs on the wheel 9 mins after the above post. Evidently he joined ktm forums after seeing the post Smiley Rider made to call dibs on it! Being the nice guy that I am I advised him of the situation! LOL.

RememberTheFallen screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 03:51 PM Reason: Add info
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #583
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Thanks for the help!

Oddly enough, the guy selling that wheel had an add on here last week that had the same wheel in it. The thread was deleted because of a rule violation. I still PMed him and he said that someone backed out and that I could have it. I was ready to purchase but upon closer inspection noticed rust all around the nipples, spokes, and hub on the close photos he sent me. For that price I expect the wheel to be in a lot better shape! Before I could reply and change my mind he was banned on here ("temporarily" for an unrelated incident according to a mod) and I have not heard from since. He is brand new on here and that forum. Seems pretty shady. Thanks for the link though!

I want to put a k60 on the Cush wheel and ride it like a true dual sport bike. I would keep my stock wheel with a d606 on it for aggressive off road. You think the Cush wheel will hold up to that?

* in that link Motorfiets (from this forum) called dibs on the wheel 9 mins after the above post. Evidently he joined ktm forums after seeing the post Smiley Rider made to call dibs on it! Being the nice guy that I am I advised him of the situation! LOL.
and I thank you for the heads up!!!

as for a cush drive wheel - I actually ordered a hub from my dealer cause I gave up trying to find a wheel - this wheel popped up and I'm glad you pointed it out to me!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #584
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
I have been trying to find a used Cush hub wheel for my bike for quite a while with no luck. Would like to keep my stock wheel set up as is with a dirt oriented tire. Looked at Woody's wheel but $970 before sprocket, rotor, tire, and tube is getting out of my price range.

Found that they still sale new 640 wheels and sprocket carriers. Motorsport has the cush wheel at $420 and sprocket carrier at $140 plus $30 for dampers.

I know the Woody's wheel uses a billet RAD hub, stronger rim, and better lacing but I am wondering if it is worth that much more to Someone like me? I can probably afford the new oem now but would have to wait a while on the Woodys wheel.

What do you all think? Keep looking for a good used wheel? Buy the oem wheel for $590? Or wait and get the Woody's wheel for $970 in 6-8 months? Obviously money is a factor. I can't spend a ton but I want to to do some long highway miles without worry about my countershaft and would like to smooth out the ride. Thanks for any help!
Joe
Hi Joe, at Woody's if you send in your rear wheel you can get ~$50 to $100 credit for your OEM hub, and if you go with the cast 640 cush hub (which Woody's also sells) you save another $100, and if you go with regular spokes instead of the super-beefy SS spokes they sell you save even more.

I don't care about having 2 sets of wheels for the 390, it's meant primarily for offroad, but will see a lot of pavement too on longer mixed rides where there's no luxury of changing complete wheels. I wanted the cush hub before the spline ended up like Lost's.

I have no worries about the RAD cush hub holding up to or affecting tough technical offroad rides. A simliar cush hub holds up to double the HP on my KTM990 just fine.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #585
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:

Joe

I would call woody for some hard numbers from the horses mouth with the various options. I also wouldn't spend the same amount on the oem hub and carrier as a RAD hub. If you can afford the oem hub and carrier, you can afford the RAD hub. Woody will sell you just one of those too.

I would also check the "completed listings" rate for a KTM wheel on eBay to get a fair market price analysis to see what you'll be able to get for yours if you want to go that route vs a trade in or rim swap.

While I did wait too long, I've been looking, researching and trying to figure the best/cheapest way to get a strong Cush hub wheel on my bike since I bought it.
In the end, buying a Woodys made most sense for the long run, or ride if you will. The small difference to have full on woodys wheel i wouldn't bend made sense for me, took me a while to get there, but no regrets. I've not been able to bend a Woodys wheel in the past, if I'm already spending $600 for the hub, then I want the whole package.

There's lots of talk a few pages back in the owners thread with options and numbers getting discussed, but i would call Woody or Zach before making a decision. good luck.

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:16 PM