Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
qman8 OP
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Don't know if you have crashbars, but I found out on the track that they touched before the pegs, which would be before the bags...
Pegs touch first with BMW crash bars...at least that is MY experience. What crashbars do you have?
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
qman8 OP
GS09

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Old shot of my first GS, but I never once dragged the Varios.

Awesome shot....Thanks! This is what I needed to know!
Apparently it was not my Vario that hit first when I lowsided....it was that DAMN HIDENAU lettin loose. WARNING...DO NOT PUSH HIDENAU's on the street!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #18
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Pegs touch first with BMW crash bars...at least that is MY experience. What crashbars do you have?
Hepco & Becker. I should have specified.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
No offense, we're here for each other. I'm not sure how big your foot is but for me to opereate the shift lever or rear brake on my GS, I have to be close to the arch of my boot on the peg to reach the levers ie. the ball of my foot on the brake not the big toe and sometimes get a little sloppy there and get pigeon toed tho
I hear you. I wear a size 12 and have an extended shifter so I definitely need to move my foot out to shift, but it goes right back to the balls of the feet on the pegs as soon as shifting or braking is done.

(threadjack) This point was hammered into me when I took the Lee Parks Total Control class. Here are a few shots from the class. The first picture is from early in the day. (I was riding a V-Strom at that time) I thought I had pretty good body/foot position, but I'm about to drag my toe in that shot. Even though the balls of my feet are on the pegs, the foot position is still a little sloppy and the toe was the first thing to touch. Lee spent a fair bit of time talking to me about it.

The second shot is of me later in the day. Not only are the balls of my feet on the pegs, but they're far further inboard. This (along with far better body position) allowed me to get a knee down on my V-Strom without dragging the centerstand or peg feelers. This is quite a feat on the V-Strom as it has nowhere near the ground clearance of the GS. If you can get a knee down on a V-Strom without dragging parts, you can definitely get a knee down on a GS without dragging anything with correct foot/body position. I'm not condoning dragging knees on the street, but you can use a less exaggerated version of these techniques to great effect.

The third shot is of a GS rider from my class, who was pitching that bike around masterfully without ever dragging anything other than his knees.

My point in all of this is that dragging toes, peg feelers, centerstands or whatnot on the street is symptomatic of bad body positioning. (end threadjack)

Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Awesome shot....Thanks! This is what I needed to know!
Apparently it was not my Vario that hit first when I lowsided....it was that DAMN HIDENAU lettin loose. WARNING...DO NOT PUSH HIDENAU's on the street!!!!
Thank killboy- that was at Deal's Gap a few years ago.

The order of touch down on my regular GS was: the peg, then side stand on the left side. On the right side it was the peg, then the center stand and sometimes the brake lever. I only dragged the H&Bs a couple times on that bike, though.

The K60 is just fine for obnoxious riding. I dragged the crash bars a number of time on the GSA I have now before I did the shocks while running the K60s. But you are correct, they will slide a good bit when over really far. But isn't sliding around half the fun?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
*SNIP*
My point in all of this is that dragging toes, peg feelers, centerstands or whatnot on the street is symptomatic of bad body positioning. (end threadjack)
*SNIP*
On smooth flat ground maybe, but introduce change in elevation, banked corners, bumps in the corner, etc...
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
qman8 OP
GS09

Quote:
Thank killboy- that was at Deal's Gap a few years ago.

The order of touch down on my regular GS was: the peg, then side stand on the left side. On the right side it was the peg, then the center stand and sometimes the brake lever. I only dragged the H&Bs a couple times on that bike, though.

The K60 is just fine for obnoxious riding. I dragged the crash bars a number of time on the GSA I have now before I did the shocks while running the K60s. But you are correct, they will slide a good bit when over really far. But isn't sliding around half the fun?
Actually...I was on a K76 Hidenau rear when it let go. Yes...sliding around is fun...until you realize that YOU are sliding too!..and the bike seems to be getting further away from you! I HATE when that happens!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
qman8 OP
GS09

Quote:
I hear you. I wear a size 12 and have an extended shifter so I definitely need to move my foot out to shift, but it goes right back to the balls of the feet on the pegs as soon as shifting or braking is done.

(threadjack) This point was hammered into me when I took the Lee Parks Total Control class. Here are a few shots from the class. The first picture is from early in the day. (I was riding a V-Strom at that time) I thought I had pretty good body/foot position, but I'm about to drag my toe in that shot. Even though the balls of my feet are on the pegs, the foot position is still a little sloppy and the toe was the first thing to touch. Lee spent a fair bit of time talking to me about it.

The second shot is of me later in the day. Not only are the balls of my feet on the pegs, but they're far further inboard. This (along with far better body position) allowed me to get a knee down on my V-Strom without dragging the centerstand or peg feelers. This is quite a feat on the V-Strom as it has nowhere near the ground clearance of the GS. If you can get a knee down on a V-Strom without dragging parts, you can definitely get a knee down on a GS without dragging anything with correct foot/body position. I'm not condoning dragging knees on the street, but you can use a less exaggerated version of these techniques to great effect.

The third shot is of a GS rider from my class, who was pitching that bike around masterfully without ever dragging anything other than his knees.

It appears this guy is a fair amount taller than you...meaning he has longer legs...meaning his knee sticks out further...meaning he touches his knee with less lean angle. Just sayin! I know that getting MY knee down on my '00 VFR was a challenge without hitting exhaust pipe, feelers, centerstands, etc. They warned me to stop dragging hardparts or i would be ejected from that track day!...My instructor came to my rescue saying "he cant lean off any further!!!"
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
It appears this guy is a fair amount taller than you...meaning he has longer legs...meaning his knee sticks out further...meaning he touches his knee with less lean angle. Just sayin! I know that getting MY knee down on my '00 VFR was a challenge without hitting exhaust pipe, feelers, centerstands, etc. They warned me to stop dragging hardparts or i would be ejected from that track day!...My instructor came to my rescue saying "he cant lean off any further!!!"
Just be like Rueben Xaus and push the bike back up with your knee pucks...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
For sure the guy on the GS is taller than me and this definitely helps, but I'm a fair bit taller than Lee Parks, and he dragged knee on every student's bike throughout the course of the day just to prove that you don't need to be tall and you don't need to be on a sportbike to get a knee down. He got a knee down on a full-dress Harley, on a Goldwing, and even on a Piagio scooter (though that took some extreme body positioning).
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 437
first thihng that touches is the front of my boot and scares the crap out of me every time
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
qman8 OP
GS09

Quote:
Just be like Rueben Xaus and push the bike back up with your knee pucks...
....BUT.. DONT be like Marco Simoncelli and push it back into traffic!

RIP SIC!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
qman8 OP
GS09

Quote:
For sure the guy on the GS is taller than me and this definitely helps, but I'm a fair bit taller than Lee Parks, and he dragged knee on every student's bike throughout the course of the day just to prove that you don't need to be tall and you don't need to be on a sportbike to get a knee down. He got a knee down on a full-dress Harley, on a Goldwing, and even on a Piagio scooter (though that took some extreme body positioning).
Knee down on a Full Dress Harley??? That I'd like to see. Hell, Lee must have had his right foot on the left footboard!? They've got like what...15 degrees of lean before sparks???