Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
That is an excellent route. I do a weekend ride around Lake Kootenay all the time. Those are the best motorcycle roads in Canada.
my buddy did it on his trip in 2011, for some stupid reason I didn't, had it all loaded into the GPS. Kicking myself later for not doing it!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,270
If at all possible do a loop that includes the Canadian Icefields Parkway between Banf & Jasper, spend a day or so in Jasper, over to Hyder, and the Sea to Sky Highway into Vancouver.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
jckid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Well we decided that we really want to do this trip, so my riding partner (who is actually my much older husband), went in and requested 3 to 4 weeks off to do the trip to Alaska. And, after working 43 years for the company, the reply from his boss was, "ain't gonna happen". We're tired of work getting in the way of living, so we are considering retiring in the near future. So maybe we'll still make it to Alaska. I was just reading JDown's new ride report, and he came across a guy in Texas that was 81 years old and still riding even though he used a cane...so maybe we have a few more years to get it done! We do have a couple of other rides in mind, so one way or another, we're going to do some traveling this summer.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
QUOTE. " .... Ain't gonna happen....." ?????!!!!????
THE Guy sounds like a slavedriver!
You must prove him WRONG
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Holy shit!!!!!

Sounds to me like someone needs a medical rest and will rquire taking a few months off to get medically OK once again so he can do his job the best of his capabilities!!! What an asshole! I would ask a doctor for advice on how best to get the paperwork to get this accomplished.....stating your husband is not a young person and he is wearing down way too fast and needs time to recoup! Unless your doctor is related to the other asshole! Most are easy to work with if you use the correct tactics.....I'm extremely lucky...I have a real gem, a one of a kind.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
jckid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
QUOTE. " .... Ain't gonna happen....." ?????!!!!????
THE Guy sounds like a slavedriver!
You must prove him WRONG
No kidding. Well he can retire any time, so now it just may happen a little sooner. He mainly works, because he likes to have something to do. I'm more independent and would do things on my own if retired, but he is likely to sit idle if he retires. So I guess I need to retire too, so I can plan adventures and keep him entertained. It's just very disappointing to realize that after so many years, he is not rewarded for being such a loyal employee. There are people at my work that have only been there less than 5 years that take 6 week vacations.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I would retire when it's the worst time for them and when asked by anyone further up the ladder if there is someone...explain why. The world is full of pricks!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
petebcca
Petebcca

Oddometer: 3
Hi!

Im 55 also, so thought I'd reply. I think this is a great trip. In 2010 i took my first long motorcycle trip on a 1997 BMWf650 and went from Vancouver over to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, then up to the North end of Vancouver Island to Port Hardy. In Port Hardy i caught a ferry north to Prince Rupert. This was a full day ferry ride and the price was about $250 for bike and rider, but well worth it. I called this trip the poor man's Alaska cruise. The scenery was fantastic.After overnighting in Prince Rupert I then caught another ferry to Haida Gwaii, previously know as Queen Charlotte Islands. This was my goal and I had a fantastic 5 days there riding gravel. I then returned to Prince Rupert anb headed south east to Vancouver on Highway 16. However, when i got to the junction of highway 37 north (Deese Lake / Stewart Cassiar Highway), i thought why not go to Alaska. I believe it is about 260 kms from Kitwanga Junction. On this highway i saw more bears that carsl let alone people. But the bears are fine and are not known to chase after bikes. This was certainly a highlight of this trip. Quite enjoyed my overnight in Hyder. Several wonderful glaciers. I highly recommend you take this trip. It was fantastic. I went in early August when you have the best chance for great weather. I would think that a trip to Hyder from Oregon could easily and comfortably be done in 8 to 10 days. Good luck and have fun. Pete
Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
Gmc28
Gmower

Oddometer: 35
I've planned almost that same trip a couple times, from Oregon, and know the challenge: time is the limiter.
A couple thoughts: first, consider riding up, enjoying whatever itinerary you come with as best, then ship your bikes back with Alaska marine lines (etc), and airline yourself home. Cost isn't as bad as you might think, especially when you consider that riding down isn't free either, depending on how you travel. I shipped my bike back from Juneau last year to seattle for around $220. Just the practicality of being to enjoy the riding while not being away too long from work made it the best choice for me. They have pallets for bikes at the shipping places, and it worked slick. Some pre-planning required, but no big deal.

2nd, regarding route, I would suggest that missing the ride all the way up deadhorse is no great loss. I'm biased, having lived in Alaska for some years, so i don't feel the need to check that box (to see deadhorse and environs again), but the good riding is indeed mainly more south, and certainly including the area around Hyder, as others have pointed out.