Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #33181
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I don't see any reason not to just get another Yuasa, equivalent to the oem battery. They seem to work very well...
+1

Batteries are a consumable, might as well save some $'s. I triend a Shorai once...ONCE!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #33182
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,217
As far as batteries go, I had good luck with Scorpion in my KLR250. The shop shipped it to me via USPS priority mail, and the battery worked well.
I have a Extreme Magna AGM in my 650GS (from Autozone) and I have not even put it on a trickle charge in the last two years and it always cranks like crazy. No issues whatsoever.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #33183
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,843
+1 for Scorpion battery...

FWIW...I've had good luck with these batteries from this dealer:

http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo.../sYT5L-BS.html
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #33184
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I don't see any reason not to just get another Yuasa, equivalent to the oem battery. They seem to work very well...
Personally, I'm looking to shave weight. Using a Shorai or other Lithium-Iron battery is an instant 5 pounds weight savings.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #33185
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Personally, I'm looking to shave weight. Using a Shorai or other Lithium-Iron battery is an instant 5 pounds weight savings.
I looked at the Shorai from the same dealer ($105 shipped no tax) vs. the one linked above ($36 shipped no tax). Weight for the Shorai was listed at 1.23 pounds while the other one was 4 pounds. So, it's more like 2.77 pounds of weight savings. Not enough for me to justify it costing nearly 3 times as much.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #33186
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I looked at the Shorai from the same dealer ($105 shipped no tax) vs. the one linked above ($36 shipped no tax). Weight for the Shorai was listed at 1.23 pounds while the other one was 4 pounds. So, it's more like 2.77 pounds of weight savings. Not enough for me to justify it costing nearly 3 times as much.
Fair enough.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #33187
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

I returned home yesterday with my new WRR from Palm Springs. Here's a pic - I took a couple, but they look remarkably similar, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from the one near Joshua Tree VS. one from central Utah - too bad you can't include the feeling from temperature, as that was the most notable thing on the ride.

First off, I love this bike - and I've done nothing to it yet. It performed fantastically as a tourer. At times when I wondered if I could, or should go on, I knew the bike would be game either way. I put 544 miles on it on day one, then finished up with a 360 mile day.

I didn't intend on riding that far on day one. The plan was to ride to Mesquite and get a room there, but when I arrived (just after sundown) I found that every hotel room was booked. This was due to a number of things, but the main one being a huge soccer tournament. I asked one of the front desk people if there were any rooms in Saint George, she said no, all those were booked as well. My heart sank. It's now night, it's cold, and I have no idea where I am going to sleep. What if I don't find a room in Saint George? Just hang out in a Dennys all night and then get a room? Drive all the way home? Many thoughts were going through my head. But I might as well try Saint George. It's still relatively early at this point, sevenish iirc. Off I go. Have to ride through this in the dark first...

I get to St. George and it's the same story, every hotel room is booked. The ride through the gorge went fine, the bike's lighting didn't seem any different than a car and I didn't have to keep my 1.9 gallon range in mind, so it was 65-70 in fifth gear the whole way. It was the same story in St. George, in fact, if I hadn't looked so cold and disheveled I think the hotel clerks would have been laughing at me.

Down in Palm Springs my parents and I came to really like Yelp, it's a great app when you're in a strange place. So I booted that up and started calling every hotel in Cedar City, that's only another 45 miles, I can manage that. After trying 6 or 7, again hearing the story that every hotel room in the area has been booked for weeks, I find that the Super 8 has one room left - I'LL TAKE IT!!! One thing I hadn't considered is that to get to Cedar City, you climb the whole way, the elevation in St. George is 2,860' - Cedar City is 5,846'. I think on this ride I was the coldest I have ever been, but I made it safely thanks to my new friend :) Here's the map data for anyone who likes this kind of thing...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...,12,13&t=m&z=7

Yesterday the plan was to wait as long as possible in the motel for the day to get warmer, time really wasn't the issue, I just didn't want a repeat of Saturdays cold ride. I left Cedar City around 10:30 and managed to stay off the slab the whole day. Up to Milford, the riding was perfect. It was a bit cold on the bike but very pleasant. I saw maybe 5 cars all the way there, and when I got there the bank sign said it was 50 degrees - I'm loving life After leaving Milford you enter a valley that was reminiscent of Palm Springs, there were a couple of dozen windmills. Turns out there's a fair bit of steady winds though here, and its getting colder...

The rest of the day was almost as cold as that ride into Cedar City. While it was bright and sunny, often the winds had me laying on my tank bag in order to stay warm and to try and squeeze as much MPG as I could get. The nadir of the day had me climbing up to Eureka (6,430') in clouds and some snow, all the while not knowing if I was going to have to stop and get the gallon of gas I had out of my bag (I was freezing and really didn't want to do this). Luckily there was a gas stop where I could fill up giving me the range to get back home, that and a warm up inside with a cup of coffee brought my spirits up. After descending out of Eureka and turning to head North, the sun came out and even though you couldn't really feel it, I was really happy.

One last stop in Saratoga Springs to warm up and I was able to push all the way home. These last two sections the temp was in the low 30s. I kept on wondering how cold it would have to get where I would just drop dead right on the bike Man, from Milford all the way home it was torturous plain and simple.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cedar+City,+UT&daddr=Milford,+UT+toelta,+UT+to:Eureka,+UT+to:Bl uffdale,+UT&hl=en&sll=40.00658,-112.521973&sspn=3.063027,5.559082&geocode=FaXpPgId-89C-SnRwl7gf2G1gDHp0XOA4soU7w%3BFe_jSQIdm5dD-SmVR6pmWue0gDG_17wvFrvKPw%3BFXJ3WAIdbjVK-SlBFFv88bRMhzHCgjyHjFO9Mw%3BFcWmYQIdYC5R-SljSeY-LhBNhzG-erc_0gffkg%3BFcfSaQId-PJT-Sm5NkpmdoFShzFFEOFT9WIkAQ&oq=blu&dirflg=h&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Once again, throughout the whole ride I was very impressed by this bike. On my Tiger, my ass would have been revolting, but on the WRR it was a non-issue. Probably due to the Seat Concepts seat, but I'm kind of shocked at how good this bike is touring. I've decided the two immediate must haves for it are a larger gas tank and a fairing. 99% certain I'm going with the IMS 3 gallon, and the Lynx screen. If the bike performs half as good in the dirt as it did on the road, and I know it will, I'll have a real winner here with my WRR.

UtahFox screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:47 AM Reason: Readability.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #33188
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Spinning a box wrench into the rear sprocket helps keep chain tight and axle lined up check YouTube some good vids on this
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #33189
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Does the stock battery even weigh 5 lbs?

All the weight savings will be nice when you're pushing it, the Shorai don't last
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #33190
firejosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Radiator??

Long Shot here...any one got a radiator they can ship and sell or know where in the world I can buy one. Everyone I called is out out out. wierd...
firejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #33191
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
>"I was very impressed by this bike. On my Tiger, my ass would have been revolting, but on the WRR it was a non-issue. Probably due to the Seat Concepts seat, but I'm kind of shocked at how good this bike is touring."

Yup. If I had to have just 1 bike, it would be the WR250R. (provided Yamaha doesn't come out with a 450 version)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #33192
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Spinning a box wrench into the rear sprocket helps keep chain tight and axle lined up check YouTube some good vids on this
How do you make sure the rear tire is "aligned" properly?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #33193
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
If the bike performs half as good in the dirt as it did on the road, and I know it will, I'll have a real winner here with my WRR.
Welcome back to Utah. You're going to love the WR in the dirt. And me too on the Seat Concepts. Best ever.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #33194
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by firejosh View Post
Long Shot here...any one got a radiator they can ship and sell or know where in the world I can buy one. Everyone I called is out out out. wierd...

Have you tried Myler's?

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/c...roduct=1319434

Is your's destroyed? They can be repaired if not wadded up.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #33195
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,177
While we're on the who needs what topic. If anyone has a stock tail light they'd like to part with. I sure could use one. Looped the bike out on a wheelie on the ice today.