Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
edeslaur OP
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
It's just a flesh... bone wound. OR: Side bags are not risk free...

No motorcycle was harmed in this event.

One street accident in over 200K miles (I don't count the one where I passed out due to low blood sugar 12 years ago - it got the other ankle), I'm not feeling too badly about it, but I sure wish it was a cooler story. Help me come up with some good lies to tell!

Late at night, just 1 literal mile from home after my 187 mile round trip commute, coming a way I haven't been in about 4-6 weeks since the main road was blocked for construction. Slow cage in front of me faded into the right lane, so I zipped to the left and crossed the spilled paint patch I've been crossing for months.

Apparently the prior few days of wet weather has been rough on it, as it was crumbly that day and not enough cages went by to sweep it clean. You can see the marks on the rear tire as it slid out. I had to dab to stay up (the other side has no chicken strip either, so it was not an overly reactive response on my part to being leaned over a lot, I was going down baby).

The left side bag really wanted to meet my foot, and proceeded to tackle it to the ground, in the process bending it in unnatural ways. My foot hung on and tried to pull me off the bike as well, but I persevered. Thank goodness the bike can do nearly 90 in 2nd gear as there was no way I was shifting, even to lean down, with my hand, and do it as it stung quite a bit.

I spent a while thinking it was badly sprained, but the x-rays disagreed.

You can see in the picture how much the bike leaned over as it hit the paint. Had I been going faster, it would have been fine. I was doing probably 15-20 at most.

Hobbling around in a walking cast, heeding my osteo's advice not to go riding until it's had time to heal. I think he said a week? (nah, he said 6). That's going to add about an hour a day to my commute for a few weeks (no lane sharing/HOV lanes in a car as a solo driver). I see a bike ride in my very near future, though the air cast won't do to shift at all...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Yup, bags turn a two point dab into GOTCHA BITCH! There is really no way to unlearn the dab. At least for me.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 750
Well, that sucks. Hope you heal up fast and well.

BTDT with riding in a leg cast, (TibFib compound fracture, yep, bike crash). What you need is a heel-toe shifter so you can bang the shifts up and down, or rather down front and down back, with the cast. Ideally with the walking cast's footie thing. You will need a small leather bag to put over your toes, cause that air blowing up the cast is COLD! And don't even think about when it warms up and the bugs are out.

As for the story, you were coming down 78 from a fun ride around the Salton Sea and when you lane split coming into Julian to get thru traffic and bumped a 1%er's chopper with your side case, (dude, see the scratches!?), and had to wick it up a tad to get out of sight heading down 79. You totally lost them in the twisties North of Harrison Park, but then when you did a mirror/head check after getting thru Cuyamaca State Park, you look back ahead and a fricking Lexus SUV is 3/4 in your lane coming strait thru the corner causing you to run on the white line and you nearly lost it, but managed to dab & grab some throttle and squeeze by and thankfully back on the road for the last easy run down to 8 and a boring 40 minute slab home.

Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur View Post
No motorcycle was harmed in this event.

One street accident in over 200K miles (I don't count the one where I passed out due to low blood sugar 12 years ago - it got the other ankle), I'm not feeling too badly about it, but I sure wish it was a cooler story. Help me come up with some good lies to tell!

Late at night, just 1 literal mile from home after my 187 mile round trip commute, coming a way I haven't been in about 4-6 weeks since the main road was blocked for construction. Slow cage in front of me faded into the right lane, so I zipped to the left and crossed the spilled paint patch I've been crossing for months.

Apparently the prior few days of wet weather has been rough on it, as it was crumbly that day and not enough cages went by to sweep it clean. You can see the marks on the rear tire as it slid out. I had to dab to stay up (the other side has no chicken strip either, so it was not an overly reactive response on my part to being leaned over a lot, I was going down baby).

The left side bag really wanted to meet my foot, and proceeded to tackle it to the ground, in the process bending it in unnatural ways. My foot hung on and tried to pull me off the bike as well, but I persevered. Thank goodness the bike can do nearly 90 in 2nd gear as there was no way I was shifting, even to lean down, with my hand, and do it as it stung quite a bit.

I spent a while thinking it was badly sprained, but the x-rays disagreed.

You can see in the picture how much the bike leaned over as it hit the paint. Had I been going faster, it would have been fine. I was doing probably 15-20 at most.

Hobbling around in a walking cast, heeding my osteo's advice not to go riding until it's had time to heal. I think he said a week? (nah, he said 6). That's going to add about an hour a day to my commute for a few weeks (no lane sharing/HOV lanes in a car as a solo driver). I see a bike ride in my very near future, though the air cast won't do to shift at all...

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z4A_q0wCuYM/UR_ehxavgzI/AAAAAAAAEmo/cd5PsXYWNaE/s640/broken%2520ankle%2520collage.jpg[/IMG
heal fast !!! quote not in yellow to make it readable
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
dirty in Ivins eh? sounds like a CL wanted ad
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
dirty in Ivins eh? sounds like a CL wanted ad
Ya Perv! That's Dirty bike, not just dirty. Some chick in the local CL personals is probably using that line though.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
What do you mean a 1%ers chopper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Well, that sucks. Hope you heal up fast and well.

BTDT with riding in a leg cast, (TibFib compound fracture, yep, bike crash). What you need is a heel-toe shifter so you can bang the shifts up and down, or rather down front and down back, with the cast. Ideally with the walking cast's footie thing. You will need a small leather bag to put over your toes, cause that air blowing up the cast is COLD! And don't even think about when it warms up and the bugs are out.

As for the story, you were coming down 78 from a fun ride around the Salton Sea and when you lane split coming into Julian to get thru traffic and bumped a 1%er's chopper with your side case, (dude, see the scratches!?), and had to wick it up a tad to get out of sight heading down 79. You totally lost them in the twisties North of Harrison Park, but then when you did a mirror/head check after getting thru Cuyamaca State Park, you look back ahead and a fricking Lexus SUV is 3/4 in your lane coming strait thru the corner causing you to run on the white line and you nearly lost it, but managed to dab & grab some throttle and squeeze by and thankfully back on the road for the last easy run down to 8 and a boring 40 minute slab home.

rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcamp View Post
What do you mean a 1%ers chopper?
A 1%er is a reference to a motorcycle club member. What some would call a 'gang' like HA or Gypsy Jokers, etc.

If you side swiped a club member's motorcycle, and kept going, they would likely pursue you with intent to do harm or take retribution of some sort.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Ya Perv! That's Dirty bike, not just dirty. Some chick in the local CL personals is probably using that line though.
Wouldnt surprise me if somechick st geo was using that
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
edeslaur,
Swallow your ego and get a twist and go 250 cc plus scooter and ride your ridiculous commute.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote