Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
He dug up this little gem today

http://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/3529140058.html
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
CharlieXR4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I think that XR250 posted would be far and away a better starter bike than a 490cc 2 stroke. Even an experienced rider can get into trouble very quickly on a big bore two smoke.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieXR4 View Post
I think that XR250 posted would be far and away a better starter bike than a 490cc 2 stroke. Even an experienced rider can get into trouble very quickly on a big bore two smoke.
Yeah me too. Talked this over with a buddy that's an experienced two stroke rider and he said the same thing. Two stroke 125 max and the boy would be ok but nothing more.

I told him he had to get his grades up and get the cash from his Xbox and BMx bike. I wasn't going to front all of it.

The good thing is good weather is on the way and riding is 15 minutes from my house. So after work we can get some riding time in before sunset.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Yz490

Against my better judgement, I bought an '86 YZ490 this Fall for $400. It is pretty rough, but runs & has a new top end. It needs fork seals, steering head bearings & alot of TLC.
I used to race open Yamahas in the 70s so I figured that I could ride this one. Then I read that it was one of the
"10 Worst Dirt Bikes Ever Made"! I have already owned a Yamaha SC500, also on the same list.
I am going to clean it up, paint it & race it at Unadilla Vintage Weekend...then sell it!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
this was my new yz I got twenty yrs ago brand new off the showroom floor..they are fun bikes to rip on so yeah,go for it...

zokalr13 screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:49 PM
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Good advice all. Some pretty funny stuff too. Here's the bike, it looks like a four stroke with a left side exhaust but I'm not an expert. Looking for a cheap starter.

http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/3560390732.html

Sent using the Craigslist app. Get it Free in the App Store

Sent from my iPhone
That is an 83 model not an 85. FYI
Probably still worth the 6 hundy.
I would recommend it if you guys were going vintage racing, play riding, not so much.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

What got me is the left side exhaust and not seeing the expansion chamber.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrainer View Post
Against my better judgement, I bought an '86 YZ490 this Fall for $400. It is pretty rough, but runs & has a new top end. It needs fork seals, steering head bearings & alot of TLC.
I used to race open Yamahas in the 70s so I figured that I could ride this one. Then I read that it was one of the
"10 Worst Dirt Bikes Ever Made"! I have already owned a Yamaha SC500, also on the same list.
I am going to clean it up, paint it & race it at Unadilla Vintage Weekend...then sell it!
Newer technology has caught up with the YZ490 to some degree,have it ported to run smoother,have the head re done for same,less compression makes for easier starting and a cooler running engine. They can be good vintage race bikes and hold together better then an old Maico/Bultaco or some other exotica.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

My buddy gas one he is rebuilding. Can't wait to see and hear it run. We will have to go out and do some riding.

As for my son, we gave decided on either a 125cc two stroke or something like a XR200, tt500, or XR400, or 500.