Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #33196
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,168
While we're on the who needs what topic. If anyone has a stock tail light they'd like to part with. I sure could use one. Looped the bike out on a wheelie on the ice today.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #33197
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
So what is the consensus on the best replacement battery. Mine wont hold a charge so it needs replaced. I will not spring for a Shorai that thats off the list.

I am eyeballing the bikemaster gel battery on Rocky mountain. Anyone running that model?
I just bought the Motobatt for mine after the OEM Yusa died on me after riding to bike night and wouldn't re-start after I came back out and left me stranded. I ran the Motobatt in my Husky TE610 after the Yusa on that one croaked and died and left me stranded too. The Motobatt shined as that was a tough motor to start and it did great. The Scoprion that others are mentioning is good also and we are running one in my wife's BMW F650GS, but the Texas Battery cook off really convinced me to go with the MotoBatt after reading through it.

$64.76 with free shipping from Amazon - 12 Volt 6.7 Ah MotoBatt MBTZ7S Sealed Maintenance Free AGM Battery

Here's the main thread. The motobatt (mbatt) and Scorpion Battery (sbatt) are both in there -
First thread - http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/in...topicID=157926
2nd thread - http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/in...topicID=176271

In the 2nd thread in the 2nd post, the 8th month downtime is where the Mbatt blew the rest of them away. It started a bike 25x while the Sbatt and others did zilch.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 01:59 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #33198
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
While we're on the who needs what topic. If anyone has a stock tail light they'd like to part with. I sure could use one. Looped the bike out on a wheelie on the ice today.
I just ordered a tail tidy, I'm sure we can work something out. Course it'll have to wait until I take delivery & install it.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #33199
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
How do you make sure the rear tire is "aligned" properly?
Use a micrometer or ruler to make sure both sides are adjusted equally. Like I said some very good you tube tutorials on this just type "sprocket and chain replacement" a bunch of vids should come up so you can see.
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #33200
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone have an opinion on grips? I'm going to swap out my bars soon, but don't know what to get for grips.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #33201
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Anyone have an opinion on grips? I'm going to swap out my bars soon, but don't know what to get for grips.
Following someone's recommendation in this thread when I first got my WRR, I got the Pro Grip 737s and they've been great. Really comfortable, but still letting you feel totally connected to the bars. I've probably sold a dozen sets of them by letting people check them out.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #33202
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Pro Grip 714's
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #33203
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
So what is the consensus on the best replacement battery. Mine wont hold a charge so it needs replaced. I will not spring for a Shorai that thats off the list.

I am eyeballing the bikemaster gel battery on Rocky mountain. Anyone running that model?
MC superstore has the gel battery for the same price as RM, but they are giving you a battery charger for free when you buy one. I ordered mine last night! I think they are clearing out the chargers because they are wired backwards from battery tender, and people didn't read the instructions. I'll just cut mine and flip it over so it works with my other charger pig tails!
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #33204
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Pro Grip 714's
+1

Dyslexics untie!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #33205
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Pro Grip 714's
Done and done. I'm assuming you've replaced your grips, did you also replace the throttle tube or reuse it?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #33206
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Done and done. I'm assuming you've replaced your grips, did you also replace the throttle tube or reuse it?
I re-used mine, but had to modify it, by cutting the end off, to accommodate HDB handguards. Which was why I changed grips in the first place. Other than having to open the end, there was nothing wrong with it.

Dyslexics untie!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #33207
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
How do you make sure the rear tire is "aligned" properly?
You're trying to keep the sprockets and chain parallel. Here's a great video even though it's on a road race bike. I don't use their tool, but it shows you what to look for and how to adjust the axle adjusters.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/..._tool_08-0048/

(he does tend to get "parallel" and "perpendicular" confused though...)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #33208
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
I just ordered a tail tidy, I'm sure we can work something out. Course it'll have to wait until I take delivery & install it.
Sounds good, it's only ice racing season here so won't need it for at least a month. Yu think I'd lern. This is the second one ive done hi too. The first one wasn't on my bike though.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #33209
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Got one. PM me and make me an offer. Tail, turn signals, plate holder thingy... Took it off when I installed the aftermarket stuff.

Henry
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #33210
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
This is a follow up for yesterday's post. I got my new part in today, and started cleaning the rear suspension.

Why Yamaha calls it a Seal Guard is beyond me, since this really is a chain slider of sorts. Names aside, the following pictures are the new part, side to side with the part that has 5387 miles on it. Needless to say, the wear is unacceptable and I will be keeping an eye on the wear once I install my larger sprockets (front/rear). My simple understanding of geometry tells me the chain should not come in contact with the seal guard as often with larger diameter sprockets, bu we shall see, since Yamaha's design puts the pivot point for the swingarm off center, thus creating inevitable wear on the seal guard.

I could really use torque specs for the whole rear suspension, if someone has those.

Thanks
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote