User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #856
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
Thumb Good Dad Award

Lonewolf- outstanding form to get your daughter an XT. I like to see fathers invest time in thier daughters. She looks like a very happy girl.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #857
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
LoneWolf97

Both my daughters are away at college most of the year.
They have other interest and don't spend much time with mom and dad.
The xt will stay at home. K will be riding with me when she is home, at least
For a couple more yrs. Not ready to turn her loose in traffic alone just yet.
She likes trail riding as much as I do too.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #858
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
Pro cycle has a page for xt 225 parts but not for the xt 250.
Will the skid plate and handlebar protectors fit both?
Congratulations!

The skidplate will add weight, also. That is why I've chosen not to get it.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #859
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
I got the wheels muddy on the 2009 xt for it's first time. It had never been offroad. Where we ride rocks can be a problem. A rock thru the bottom of the engine case or a broken clutch lever would ruin a good day AF riding. Not to mention getting the bike back down to a road.
Johnston County still site. Mash barrels with axe holes in them.

Natahala ride a couple years ago

Water crossing near the still on my Dr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #860
mwalker
mike

Oddometer: 75
When I drop my 2012 gas gushes from the gas cap. Is there something wrong with the cap or do I not have it on correctly? Whats the deal I can't have that.
mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #861
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
When I drop my 2012 gas gushes from the gas cap. Is there something wrong with the cap or do I not have it on correctly? Whats the deal I can't have that.
Mine did the same thing, it's because it's not a real off-road style cap.

ZETA makes a new cap to fit the DRZ-400 that will convert it from a locking street bike style to an offroad setup with check valve. I THINK that it's been tested on the XT225, and should work on the 250 also. There was discussion of this on the XT225 site a long while back.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #862
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hey Lonewolf97 Nice photos!

Can I suggest loosening and turning your mirrors inwards when you're in the woods to prevent them from getting smashed!

Cheers!

Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #863
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 46
Question AIS removal

For those who have removed the AIS system what did you do with the tube located on the upper throttle side casing of the engine. The small tube at the front of the carb is off and block off and I'v made a new metal cover for the bolted air pipe but not sure what to do with this last long breather pipe. Does it need a valve on it or filter or can I block this one too
Cheersp
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #864
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
For those who have removed the AIS system what did you do with the tube located on the upper throttle side casing of the engine. The small tube at the front of the carb is off and block off and I'v made a new metal cover for the bolted air pipe but not sure what to do with this last long breather pipe. Does it need a valve on it or filter or can I block this one too
Cheersp
Put a picture up of this hose, not sure which one you are refering too, the AIS was removed on my bike.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #865
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Put a picture up of this hose, not sure which one you are refering too, the AIS was removed on my bike.

Also I am putting a new cone filter on and have taken off the air box.
As can be seen in the next image there is SAND in the tube that goes straight into the carb.
It made it pass the air box / filter...

I'll post images of the upgrade in a couple of weeks when I get the new filter..
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #866
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
That is the breather hose, it needs to go back to the air box, but since you are removing your air box for a cone style filter (K&N style i imagine), you can just get a small K&N filter for that hose and mount it somewhere under the seat, where it will stay clean.

Looking forward to seeing the filter mod you will do, i thought about it when i had my bike, but never did it, have you rejetted yet and done the air/fuel screw 3 turns out? those make a good noticeable difference.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #867
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Hans-Krugger...Check you PM.

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #868
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
So tell me about the XT250. My better half turned 75 this year and may be looking to downsize from his G650X-Country in the near future. He has a Honda CRF230L, but it just doesn't have the power needed to maintain higher speeds, it vibrates a lot, and feels flighty over 50mph. He likes my WR250X, but has a hard time getting on it due to the seat height. I realize the XT250 is not going to have the power of my WR, but does it have enough to be a viable option? Is it much better than the 230L, or even an improvement? We normally cruise no faster than 60mph (gps 60mph) and try to stick to back roads, but we have found ourselves on four-lane interstates in heavy traffic for short periods when we travel (recently Las Vegas for example). He wants a lighter bike than his BMW with a low seat height and the power of the WR. Obviously that will be hard to accomplish, since the WR has more power than everthing else in it's class, but would the XT be worth considering?

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #869
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I cruise at 60mph with a load of camping gear, but only if it's flat and there is no headwind. It will do a little more than that under ideal conditions but it's not something I count on or do regularly. It's smooth at 60 vibe-wise. But no way would I ride something like an XT250 in congested urban freeway traffic. I would go 100 miles out of my way if that's what it took. Personally, I enjoy touring on mine but I avoid highways and big cities.

The XT is not going to be significantly different than the CRF230. The WR is an entirely different bike on the highway than the XT with 50% more power. Seat concepts makes a low seat for the WR that gets you 3/4 inch.

It looks like the the new Honda CRF250L has a 34.7" seat and seat concepts makes a low seat that is 1 inch lower. It has similar power to the WR.

People say the Suzuki TU250 is faster than an XT but it's a street bike. -al

edit: Bravo for riding at 75. I hope I still do when I get there.
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #870
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I think the XT250 is a great choice. I ride on the highway just to get TO the dirt track and it's great. I have a Ducati Monster S2R800 which is a hell of a lot faster than the 250 but honestly it doesn't feel THAT slow once you get going on it. I go from 100-135 KM on the highway no problem. There's plenty of power to pass most vehicles on the highway and once I get to the motocross track, it just gets much better. The bike is light (under 300 lbs.) flickable, reliable as anything and the dimensions are fantastic. I'm about 5'6" 145 lbs and the seat hight is perfect. Plus it gets AMAZING gas milage. I do want to upgrade the front forks since they are a bit soft for jumps and more aggressive riding but other than that it's very good on the highway. The tires are designed for highway use, and off road and are great in everything but they suck in mud b/c the shorter knobbies are closer together and get filled up easily in read mud.
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote