Looking for feedback on the Wossner KLR piston

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighwayMiles, Feb 18, 2013.

1. HighwayMiles

HighwayMiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my quest to reduce vibration and prevent my '06 KLR from burning oil, I have gradually found my way to a lighter Wossner piston. I'm aware that not all KLRs burn oil, but as mine burns an egregious amount (1L roughly every 1.5K), I'd like to get some opinions on the best way to remedy this problem. So, if you've put in the piston, was it worth it? Stock bore? I'd like to do something as simple as possible while still preserving the bikes' reliability and my dignity. How much did it cost? Replacing the stock piston seems like something I could do myself, with the exception of honing the cylinder. Is there anything else I should do or know before ordering and installing the parts?

I would also like to know if the Wossner piston (any bore) reduces vibration in the bars significantly. The bike only has 6500 miles on it, is bone stock, and has no issues like loose motor mounts or blown rings. I want to be sure I'm attacking the two causes of my concern: the vibration and oil consumption. Am I in the right ballpark?

Thanks!
  2. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Contact Mike @ Eagle Mike Manufacturing. He will gladly help you find the right solution.
  3. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I have no experience with the Wassner piston but have done quite a few 685, 688 and 705 installations. these kits all provide very good results when the work is done properly. biggest thing is to see that the bore is correctly machined. safest bet is to got to the guys that made up these kits.... Schnitz will do the work & also have a few machine shops they recommend. same for Wymann Winn & Eagle Mike.(check klr650.net)

do not use the comtec gaskets if they comes in some kit, they have been hit/miss & sometimes leak. the Kawi gaskets are the way to go.
  4. HighwayMiles

HighwayMiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I'll give Eagle Mike a call and keep researching the piston choices, but as far as the work goes I get the impression that I shouldn't do it myself. I thought if it was a stock piston swap I could do it, or at least make a valiant effort, but perhaps having a mechanic tackle it would be the best idea. I just shudder at the cost of a break down like that - would buy a lot of oil!

Thanks for the info!
  5. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is a few months old... but how did you go???

Which piston kit did you get, if any?

I heard that the wossner might not be as good as the ones from schnitz or eagle mike,=.

I agree that the job seems daunting. I'm in the process of doing my 08. After getting a quote from a mechanic for the job I decided to at least start the job myself.

Schnitz have EXCELLENT instructions on their website on how to do the whole job. So far I've dismantled the entire top end. Bits of motorbike everywhere.

The key is to make sure you have all the right tools. I have limited mechanical experience, but take it slow and be thorough and it's ok.... of course putting it all back together might be a different story :nod
  6. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most everybody farms out machine shop work-like cylinder boring and cylinder head/valve work.Very few motorcycle repair shops do in-house machine work-its farmed out to a local machine shop .You really just need a good service manual-basic tools+ good torque wrench.Good price for boring a cylinder would be $40-$80 .
  7. HighwayMiles

HighwayMiles Adventurer

Oddometer:

I haven't gone with any yet, but only because I just haven't had the time to tear it apart. Well, that and it's nice outside, so I'd rather be riding then wrenching at the moment. But there have been quite a few helpful people on here, and I think the schnitz 685 kit is the best way to go. There's a slight chance I'll try the Eagle Mike 658 kit when I do the install in the fall, but it seems like the Schnitz is the best around.

I'm going to tackle the install myself as well, so if there's any trick spots to watch out for please let me know. But this board is a great resource and there are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people around, so the job probably only seems more daunting than it actually is.
  8. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to see the Wossner piston get a bad rap. I have a 102 mm one in my KLX 650. I had the head off a few months ago. There was no wear evident.

They are a high quality, forged aluminum, coated piston with a shorter skirt than stock.

the 2 bikes have the same bore and stroke, the only difference being the location of the piston pin. Mine weighed 79 gr, less than stock and vibrations are less. Owners who use a Kawasaki Vulcan piston report the same, even though heavier than stock.

Not much track record for a Wossner in a KLR, so go with something that is tried and trued.

My bore job was $85 several years ago. Any good machine shop should be able to do the job.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Wymann's 688 kit can be had complete.... as in, he will send a cylinder with a piston & rings that are already fitted to spec. and the head gasket is relieved & ready to install. you send money, he sends kit, you send back your old cylinder, he sends back money.

you can put it on in a day & go ride :evil

all quality bits too. BTW, he & Eagle Mike are friends & both will go far out of their way to help out, and.... I trust these guys.

the critical part is a proper bore & hone.... I've had problems with some of the local shops.

edit: also.... pretty sure the OEM piston is cast & all the others are forged. they have different clearances due to coefficient of expansion due to different alloys.... a plain ring hone may not provide a proper fit, so it may need a bore anyway. and.... the old style OEM rings are no longer available. the piston was changed in 08 & the rings are slightly different & don't fit the older piston
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just saw this.

I put a Wossner piston kit in my 2000 KLR650 and was thrilled with it. The piston kit is hugely lighter than stock and all but killed the engine vibrations. I personally highly recommend them as an alternative to stock. :thumb
  11. HighwayMiles

HighwayMiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I just wanted to post a quick update on my KLR oil burning/vibration issues.

Over the winter I installed Eagle Mike's 685 big bore kit in my 2006 KLR650. All I can say is wow! I should have bought the kit with the bike; it is so much better in so many ways. Vibration is gone (I can see in the mirrors now!) and there's a little more power and torque all over the power curve (I pulled a power wheelie yesterday!). Granted, some of that is due to the jet kit, but it's like a whole new bike. Worth every penny of the roughly $500 it cost me. Installation wasn't that big of a deal either and not overly taxing for the un-mechanical.

On a side note, I discovered why the bike burned so much oil. In hindsight it seems so obvious that I can't believe I didn't figure it out earlier. I bought the bike in 2012 with 300 miles on it, so it had been sitting for a couple years. And from sitting for so long, the cylinder began to oxidize above and below the stationary piston, causing it to score slightly upon starting for the first time. Well, live and learn I guess.

Overall I am very happy with the kit, and would highly recommend it to anyone with a KLR! Thanks again everyone!
  12. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of the original forged 685 JE pistons from Schnitz/Aspy and now at 46k miles on it. I have and do run it a 5k+rpm for days on end and still no oil use.

Has anyone done a side by side technical review of both? Not to my knowledge.