Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,178
My prediction is that she runs well at Daytona but not anywhere else this season. (Although her driving at Road America last season in Nationwide was impressive.)

How she does in the big race depends upon Thursday. If she escapes with her car intact -- a huge if -- then she ought to run somewhere near or at the front for a while because she appears to have a good package and she likes the track. If she wrecks then it's race over.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Danica hasn't raced anything yet this year. Getting the pole is nice. She and the other top six will start the Daytona race regardless what happens in the duels on Thursday. It is possible a high profile driver won't make the race this year, so it is a relief to those that are in.

Her Stewart-Hass #10 is basically a HMS chassis and engine. And all three SHR cars have a ton of raw speed. That won't mean much when the race starts, but it's better than being a little underpowered, like the Fords seem to be this year.

If she wins at Daytona, that should be great for NASCAR. As was her qualifying run.

The next two races at Las Vegas and Phoenix will be a better indicator of her stock car progress. I don't think anyone expects her to finish the year in the top 10, but she should end up somewhere in the top 20. I wish her great year.

r_bin screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 05:23 PM
r_bin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
I'd like to see Trevor Bayne steal another 500. Remember his comment on the radio? .... "Are you kidding me?"

I'd like to see Stenhouse emerge too. He has a win it or bin it reputation, but he'll probably always be fast.

Bad Brad will be there too. Amazing what he's done with Penske's cars. Hopefully Lagano can help.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #34
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_bin View Post
Danica hasn't raced anything yet this year. Getting the pole is nice. She and the other top six will start the Daytona race regardless what happens in the duels on Thursday. It is possible a high profile driver won't make the race this year, so it is a relief to those that are in.
I thought it only locked in the top 2? I know they changed the top 35 in points deal this year, but I'm pretty sure most of the top guys are still guaranteed a start position.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #35
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
The top two qualifiers will start on the 1st row. The next four qualifiers are guaranteed a starting spot but their positions won't be decided until after the duels. I don't remember if this is the way it worked last year or not.

The rest of the field is "sort of" decided by finishes in the duels. But I don't really understand how the final 4 or 5 spots are handed out. Last years points come into play, somehow. ...and the past champion provisional.

A lot of weird things would have to happen for any of the top drivers to miss the race, but it is possible.
r_bin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
wxwax
Excited Member

I've only watched the first 7 laps so far (recording it.) But it looked like the inside was losing about a car length per lap. Hot track or cold track, there's only one groove and it's the outside.

That means pole position is actually a handicap, since it puts the car on the inside with little hope of breaking into the outside train.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #37
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
That means pole position is actually a handicap, since it puts the car on the inside with little hope of breaking into the outside train.
She had her choice of inside or outside, why her and Stewart were inside only makes me wonder. Inside was having problems all through the Sprint Unlimited last weekend.

Being conservative so you don't wad up and loose the pole is one thing, loosing the draft twice is another.

These cars are are a handful, what little in-car they showed looked grim. Nascar cannot fix plate racing. They can fix the tracks (Daytona & Talladega). Jayski will probably post the carnage count from speed weeks, they should post the millions of dollars of damage. Edwards now has been in four wrecks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #38
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Thumbs down

Just finished watching the duels, not good. The two car bump draft from last place like we had before was much more interesting to watch. That fully sucked.

Interesting how the only thing that caused anything worth watching was green flag pit stops during the second race.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
She had her choice of inside or outside, why her and Stewart were inside only makes me wonder. Inside was having problems all through the Sprint Unlimited last weekend.

Being conservative so you don't wad up and loose the pole is one thing, loosing the draft twice is another.
In the second race Jeff Gordon had the outside and led thru the first pit stop, would have won the race if he hadn't broken the pit lane speed limit. It was single file racing.

Thanks, didn't know that pole had the choice. I would guess that Sunday she'll take the outside. I have no problem if they wanted to protect their cars in the shootout. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #40
vettex2
X-Racer

Oddometer: 1,472
Danica can outdrive all the haters
and
she looks GOOD in a swimsuit
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #41
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,490
I think tonight's truck race will be the best thing to come out of Speed Weeks. Young Blaney is a comer and Kyle is back in his truck. There should be several leaders and some good young racers trying to be noticed.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 787
Enjoying the last laps of this Saturday race. If Pastrana could get some drafting help, he and his partner might have a shot to win. Otherwise without a dance partner he will be lucky to get a top 10. He will be a fan favorite and great for nascar. Animated on the radio and a real competitor.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #43
vettex2
X-Racer

And Danica loses power in the nationwide race
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
Enjoying the last laps of this Saturday race. If Pastrana could get some drafting help, he and his partner might have a shot to win. Otherwise without a dance partner he will be lucky to get a top 10. He will be a fan favorite and great for nascar. Animated on the radio and a real competitor.

Nobody wanted to draft with Pastrana and he didn't seem like he wanted to push anybody either. Must've been the plan, because he's not afraid of anything. Remember when he was leading the SX qualifier at Daytona and tried a back flip of a double and came up short.

Have you ever seen that in car video when he somersaulted his Subie during a rally? He shouts to his navigator, "Are you still alive!!! Whoop, that was awesome!!!"

He did a great job running in the middle of 3 wide with cars trying to shuffle him back towards the end.

They need to do a better job with catch fences, though. A real tragedy doesn't seem to far off. Like Le Mans 1955 type tragedy.

Danica was impressive until her motor started tying up. She finally started to get a little help after awhile. Stayed up with the first few cars. She's definitely very smooth at the controls. Even her sharp cuts down were smooth, though they looked violent in the backdrop of the ballet we call the draft.

She'll be good at the fast tracks I think.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #45
vettex2
X-Racer

Cry

hope all who got hurt will be OK