User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
4zilch OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New guy trying to pick a bike to dual sport

Greetings. After spending the last several years on the road with my 2009 Speed Triple. I'm beginning to get the itch to get back into dirt riding for the first time in about 7 years.

I'm looking to dual sport primarly interested in short commutes and trail riding. I'm looking for advice/suggestions on bikes. My spending limit is about 4k, but could probably be talked into spending 5k.

I'm currently entertaining the following:

1998 Husaberg fs600e. Comes with supermoto and dirt tires and rims (dual sets of tires is a big selling point for me) The bike is spotless and street legal 3400

2001 drz400e - 450 big bore kit, yosh exhaust, steering damper, rev box - was supposedly a Mike Kreidowski factory race bike. Would still need to be street legalized by me, but not hard to do in Indiana. 2900.

2004 ktm 525 mxc. Pretty much stock but in excellent condition. Would still need to be street legalized. 2800

Thoughts, suggestions, watchouts?
4zilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,213
The Berg is a bit of an antique and obscure.

The DRZ isn't bad and has nice mods, but a bike w/ lots of custom mods can be a pain to sort as few have the same set up. Even w/ the mods, it's still no KTM.

The 525mxc - newest and best (and least $$) of the bunch. Stock is good here. RFS engine is one the best ever. Lots of online support and knowledge, lots of proven aftermarket. HOWEVER, the one you want is an exc for the gearbox.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
RFS all the way.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,856
Of the bikes listed, I'd opt for the RFS too. The suzuki is built, they might have done a good job on the work, might not have but if the 400 wasn't enough hp for the owner there's a good chance it's seen it's rev limit more than once, possibly every ride. The Husaberg is a bit older than I'd want to go with, there could be parts issues down the road, possibly not though. it's already 14 years old and not what you'd consider a common bike and it's been street ridden, that doesn't necessisarily mean anything bad but it can mean it's been ridden hard and you'd probably never know looking at it. I'd get the most bike you can within your budget, preferably newer, preferably babied, look for a wide ratio tranny if possible. $4K should get you an '06 or 07 RFS that's possibly streetlegal. If you shoot for an EXE or XCW you'll be getting a wide ratio 6 speed that should have more HP than the suzuki, definately lighter and better handling. The MXC can be geared to be acceptable it's gearing isn't optimal for DS work. I was a honda guy for years and now the garage is full of orange bikes. Mainly because I think KTM caters to the serious dualsport rider much better then the other brands.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Out of those three I have another vote for the KTM. I already know I can live with the MXC close ratio transmission. But, as said, holding out for an EXC would be better. Though I have to admit I might end up hauling that old Berg home IF it was about a grand cheaper.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,467
KTM.

Does the MXC come with a 4/5 speed gearbox? If so, look for an EXC, imo.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
The MXC will be a six speed close ratio box. So you generally gear them up at the countershaft for dual sport use. I was able to squeeze two extra teeth on the countershaft of my 200 plus dropped a couple off the rear and it pulls that with ease. So I doubt a 525 will struggle with higher gearing. But an EXC or XCW does make street duty easier with that tall sixth.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
For 4-5k I'd get something newer than those.
It'll cost over 1k to make one street legal with factory parts tires etc....

You need to decide if you want a dual sport, dr klr xr klx wrr te630 690 or race bike, husa ktm husky, made street legal.
For street I'd go 500cc or more, for the trail the lighter the better.
Te630 for more street, 200-350 race bike for trail. Or best compromise would be a wr250r, not as fast as either but will keep up with either while getting 60-70 mpg , better on nasty terrain than the 630 and better on the street than the race bikes.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
4zilch OP
n00b

Thanks for all the great advice. I had been leaning towards an EXC for awhile and actually just ran across a street legal 2005 525 exc for about $4k.

Is there anything that I should be looking out for in particular for a bike that's been dual sported?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zilch View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I had been leaning towards an EXC for awhile and actually just ran across a street legal 2005 525 exc for about $4k.

Is there anything that I should be looking out for in particular for a bike that's been dual sported?
It will eventually need the valves replaced, that's difficult to determine though without taking it apart (as in doing a valve adjustment) 160~260 hrs seems to be around the time that shows up.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 230
Not on your list, but I know where a nice KLR650 is for sale....just saying

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861313
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
4zilch OP
n00b

That is a great deal, however, I'm looking for something a little more trail/woods friendly.