User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #46
maineiac-moto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
bummer

I just took deliver last week of my 2009 GS with 7,000 miles on it. The seller did mention an issue with the fuel gage not reading correctly when i took it for a test drive. I did some online research and found you guys on ADVrder. Took it into the dealer today for the strip replacement. They explained it would be a few miles before the computer reset itself to accept the new strip. I lived with the warning lights for 60 miles and three or four start/stop modes to get things reset. No luck. I called the dealership back to let them know nothing had changed since I brought it in. They then told me to give it a few days to give it time. I'll wait a few more days and report back on my "fix".
maineiac-moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #47
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
same

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
The top half of the indicator is a single big bar. I also have a freshly bought 07, I find that the gauge shows full for about 120 miles after a fill-up, than it shows 1/2. Another bar goes out almost immediately, and the rest (2?) last another 50 or so miles until the countdown.
So you gauge may be working as designed.
Mine does exactly the same thing - and it is very repeatable. I'm assuming my strip is working properly (for now) and this is just an annoying design feature of the fuel display. I did a bit of research on the "US bad gas" theory and think there is enough evidence that I dump in Techron every few tanks. This is clearly not a cure-all as you will see many posts of strips that fail even with this treatment. But, it's relatively cheap and it can't hurt anything.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #48
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Can't argue either way on if it is gas or not but this happens in the UK as well. My 09 has had 2 replacements and I have given up on them now the bike is out of warranty. I don't see the point in wasting time on something that willl just break again! If they come up with a good fix and it can be retro fitted then I will replace it again.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #49
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Mine does exactly the same thing - and it is very repeatable. I'm assuming my strip is working properly (for now) and this is just an annoying design feature of the fuel display.
Then you do not have a strip.. you have a float. The float is in the left side of the tank along with the fuel pump. The fuel return line goes to the right side of the tank when it powers a "sucking jet pump". The purpose is to keep sucking the fuel from the right side, dumping it into the left side where the fuel pump lives. It works quite well... so well that the fuel gauge float is doesn't show any change in fuel level until fuel starts being used from the left side of the tank... meaning the tank is half empty.

So yes, you are correct in thinking that it is just an annoying design feature of the fuel display.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #50
ricepaddy
Ronin

Oddometer: 879
Bad strip?

My fuel gauge failed this morning with 46,500 miles on the clock. At first it was erratic and then just failed altogether. I have been riding more than 50 years and have no problem using the trip, but that warning triangle is really annoying.
This looks like another problem that BMW refuses to address and I am in favor of a class action suit to get there attention.

Rice ---
ricepaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #51
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 599
bumping this
my second one failed--19000 mi-- and at 80mph, showing 119 miles left, 5 bars, and no low fuel light and 202 miles on the odometer, coasting off an interstate in traffic and dealing with rumble strips on steroids with no power... it is a safety issue. Big time
file a complaint with the NHTSA, it's easy.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

2009 r1200r
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
52miles left on the tank...then it sutters and conks out at a traffic light during rush hour as it turns green..

if you suit up let me know..i have a 600mile service due so i will be asking them to replace it under warranty..
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #53
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
52miles left on the tank...then it sutters and conks out at a traffic light during rush hour as it turns green..

if you suit up let me know..i have a 600mile service due so i will be asking them to replace it under warranty..
Not looking for a suit, but others to report...it's really easy

The NHTSA started an investigation of a fuel leaks in roadsters after only 28 complaints.

You'll need your VIN and it's important to say "Fuel/Propulsion" as the system affected.
I think what most people only want is a gauge that works, but now BMWNA is denying that a problem exists.
PLease consider reporting.
Thanks
John
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #54
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 425
I installed a rotopax under the right pannier so now it seems my options are to blow up or run out of gas
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #55
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
I installed a rotopax under the right pannier so now it seems my options are to blow up or run out of gas
Right! Or both! Run out and land on the rotopax igniting the gas.
It is only prudent to carry extra gas for when the gauge/odometer--read BMW-- plays you for the fool.

I carry 2 MSR quart jugs. If I have panniers on they fit well into a bicycle water bottle cage, of if bare, in my topcase.
It sucks!

File a report!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #56
Vin
Addict

Oddometer: 69
Me Too!

2009 R1200GS - bought in Florida. The dealership there said the part was still under warrantee and my Colorado dealer could replace it. Got home and found out "Ooops!" the warrantee was expired.
There have to be some lawyers on this forum. I hate class action, but this seems to be the only option that will get the problem addressed.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #57
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
#3 for me!

Well we're not alone in this - seems lots of GS riders experience this darn annoying issue.
I just replaced mine last fall after 19 mos of riding daily without a problem...then I had the stealership put in another...and that one just failed a few weeks ago.
If you sputter out of gas on the highway, pull over, lay the bike down to the left, pouring fuel right to left and you'll have about 1.5 gals to get you to the nearest station. Done that game 3 or 4 times now.
The fun thing is in heavy stop-n-go traffic in DC - when I do it, I lay the bike down and then muscle it back up...the looks you get are to die for.

TC

'09 R1200 GS Adv, '82 750 VFR, '84 XT 600'76 TT50, '74 Fantic Enduro 50cc
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #58
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
#3 for me!

Well we're not alone in this - seems lots of GS riders experience this darn annoying issue.
I just replaced mine last fall after 19 mos of riding daily without a problem...then I had the stealership put in another...and that one just failed a few weeks ago.
If you sputter out of gas on the highway, pull over, lay the bike down to the left, pouring fuel right to left and you'll have about 1.5 gals to get you to the nearest station. Done that game 3 or 4 times now.
The fun thing is in heavy stop-n-go traffic in DC - when I do it, I lay the bike down and then muscle it back up...the looks you get are to die for.
Watch your mileage! I hit 300m and seek the station, because somewhere between 3-325, I'm done.

TC

'09 R1200 GS Adv, '82 750 VFR, '84 XT 600'76 TT50, '74 Fantic Enduro 50cc
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #59
OzRider64
Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer: 89
Thumb

The OP says he has a 2010 R1200GSA. The bike has a float in the tank and is a lot more reliable.

My 2010 R1200GS was manufactured in July of 2010 and I purchased the bike in Feb of 2011. 35000K's so far and no problems.

You can hear the float moving around inside of the tank when the fuel level gets a bit lower.

Simon.

2010 R1200GS
OzRider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #60
QuasiMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Just joining the chorus...

'08 GS ADV, 45K miles, on my 4th fuel strip. Last week while on an outing in the Everglades bike conks out while showing five bars. I guess that's what I get for not paying closer attention to my mileage, but still...huge time sink over the years for what is clearly a design flaw (no matter what the %^&* fuel quality is).