ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #20821
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I need new turn signals on the rear of my DR650. The stock ones did not flex much and broke easily. I tried a small LED set. They did not break but are so small they are not very visible. Anyone have any ideas?
I have some LED ones that seem bright enough but the first set died. I had another set, so I put those on. The solder joints holding the leads to the board broke on the first set. They were BikeMaster brand. I'm not impressed with them and they seem to be what is stocked by the local shops.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #20822
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Sorry to hear. The service is definitely hit or miss, and they are always understaffed so it's most of the time a miss. But I do really enjoy the food.
we gave it a go they had their chance if it was closer to the house I would try it again. the food was ok.
IBA#10787

We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #20823
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,301
I installed a set of LED rear turn signals on a local's DR, and they "flashed" rather quick (and dim) due to the mixture of incandescent bulbs (in the front), LEDs in the rear, and the flasher unit itself.

Connected straight up to a 12V source they were bright, but in their intended use they sucked.

Unfortunately, Suzuki in their infinite wisdom combined a bunch of functions in a single module under the seat. One of those functions was the turn signal flasher, therefore making it difficult to separate out that circuit from everything else it did. Had it been a separate circuit I would have swapped out the flasher with an electronic type.... one that uses a chip for timing the on/off delay rather relying on the heating of a thermal element in the flasher that relies on the resistance of the incandescent bulbs to heat it up.

It can be done, but you need an accurate wiring diagram and an understanding of how the circuit works to put it in place. For this one, I didn't want to take the chance and explained the situation to the customer so he knew what he was getting.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #20824
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I installed a set of LED rear turn signals on a local's DR, and they "flashed" rather quick (and dim) due to the mixture of incandescent bulbs (in the front), LEDs in the rear, and the flasher unit itself.

Connected straight up to a 12V source they were bright, but in their intended use they sucked.

Unfortunately, Suzuki in their infinite wisdom combined a bunch of functions in a single module under the seat. One of those functions was the turn signal flasher, therefore making it difficult to separate out that circuit from everything else it did. Had it been a separate circuit I would have swapped out the flasher with an electronic type.... one that uses a chip for timing the on/off delay rather relying on the heating of a thermal element in the flasher that relies on the resistance of the incandescent bulbs to heat it up.

It can be done, but you need an accurate wiring diagram and an understanding of how the circuit works to put it in place. For this one, I didn't want to take the chance and explained the situation to the customer so he knew what he was getting.

Thanks. I think the mixture of the incandescent bulb in the front with the LED rear is why they are not bright. I put the rear signals on and changed the flasher relay under the seat and it worked so i stopped. I had/have signals for the front and a diode to install at the flasher indicator in the instrument cluster to keep the current from passing through the indicator bulb and lighting up both sides at once. I had it working and thought I was good to go until a friend told me he could not really see my signals from behind. The LED signals are so small that even if they are brighter I do not know if i will be comfortable with them. I'd like to get a set of stock lights off another DS bike that are shorter and more flexible if anyone has input on those. BMW, KTM, Honda,etc... One of them is bound to be using a decent crash proof one.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #20825
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Not sure how accurate this is, but I was considering a conventional bulb change to one of the HID (conversion) versions that had the mechanical mechanism to change between "high" and "low" beam...
That seems to be the trick to emulate an H4 dual filament. A little solenoid in the socket that draws bulb in/out slightly for high/low beam focusing. There's guys on drriders.com that only went with the low beam. no more high. They agree that even pointed down, the lowbeam HID is twice as effective as the stock high beam and they don't miss it. They must not miss state inspection stickers either.

If I installed HID and found it blindingly bright for oncoming traffic and couldn't adjust it out at the bucket I wouldn't run with it. You could make that call easy enough after you put it on, whether it's dangerous or not.

As for too white from the 5000k+ bulbs like Gastone said, I read that a lot on hid conversions. More not always better it sounds like..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #20826
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
...The LED signals are so small that even if they are brighter I do not know if i will be comfortable with them. I'd like to get a set of stock lights off another DS bike that are shorter and more flexible if anyone has input on those. BMW, KTM, Honda,etc... One of them is bound to be using a decent crash proof one.
In the same boat. The stockers are huge. I had a set of cheap small incandescents that were the perfect size, but one got snapped off. I'd like to find some small flush mount incandescents, but they all seem to be LED's.

I don't see the point in LED blinkers unless you also use them as running lights or just like the looks, they only save juice when they're actually blinking and they're not very noticeable. IMO.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #20827
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. I think the mixture of the incandescent bulb in the front with the LED rear is why they are not bright. I put the rear signals on and changed the flasher relay under the seat and it worked so i stopped. I had/have signals for the front and a diode to install at the flasher indicator in the instrument cluster to keep the current from passing through the indicator bulb and lighting up both sides at once. I had it working and thought I was good to go until a friend told me he could not really see my signals from behind. The LED signals are so small that even if they are brighter I do not know if i will be comfortable with them. I'd like to get a set of stock lights off another DS bike that are shorter and more flexible if anyone has input on those. BMW, KTM, Honda,etc... One of them is bound to be using a decent crash proof one.
What flasher unit did you use?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #20828
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
What flasher unit did you use?

I don't remember what it was but i could try to read some numbers off of it if you need them. I bought it when I bought everything else which was a couple of years ago. I know that I have one wire that is not hooked up to it. It must be three pronged where the original was four but still worked. I think I will kick this can down the road a little further. I am going to put the LED's front and rear and pull out the indicator bulb (fixes the problem of the current passing through and lighting up both sides) and see how bright they are. If I don't like it I will come back to it later. I need to get the 650 inspected so I can ride it after I put on the new chain and sprockets that came in last week. And I need to get the 99' DR350 that I bought in May and have never ridden going too. It is almost March. What did I do all winter??
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #20829
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't remember what it was but i could try to read some numbers off of it if you need them. I bought it when I bought everything else which was a couple of years ago. I know that I have one wire that is not hooked up to it. It must be three pronged where the original was four but still worked. I think I will kick this can down the road a little further. I am going to put the LED's front and rear and pull out the indicator bulb (fixes the problem of the current passing through and lighting up both sides) and see how bright they are. If I don't like it I will come back to it later. I need to get the 650 inspected so I can ride it after I put on the new chain and sprockets that came in last week. And I need to get the 99' DR350 that I bought in May and have never ridden going too. It is almost March. What did I do all winter??
The original was not a separate item, so not sure where the 3-4 prong thing comes into play. The harness comes into the module as two clumps of wires through their respective plugs, and using the wiring diagram you should be able to separate the flasher circuit from the rest of the "stuff" it does. Most of it is safety-crat stuff (neutral lockout, clutch lock-out, side stand lockout, etc.).

Regardless, still interested if you can find a number. The one I am most familiar with is the Tridon-Stant EP34. I have used it a number of times for various flasher projects. It is an electronic flasher whose internal module activates a relay that actually does all the switching. Various (resistive) loads don't affect it since the actual timing is done electronically and that activates the relay.

Anywho, lemme know if you can find a number.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #20830
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,906
New pledge in the House

Hope everyone had a good weekend up here in Freezertown. We spent the weekend basking in the warmth of OBX. The highlght of my weekend? Losing my wedding ring in the sand while playing basketball with the kids.

On the bright side, I did get a chance to stop in Va Beach on the way down and pick up the little 1968 Yamaha YG5T. Wow is it small. Looks like a nice scrambler, but is only 73cc. I can't wait to try to ride it on a timed open road course, around Vermont, NY and Massachusetts, for 300 miles in two days. Let's hope she performs better than the Simplex. Think maybe I need to start losing some weight too.

In other news from P-town, we have a new RTE spot down here too. The long awaited Croaker Spot restaurant has finally opened just 400 yards from my back door. Came by it tonight and the waiting line was out the door. It should bring a lot of new traffic to this part of town. Let's hope it's all good.....

Halfplate, when I get back from WV next weekend I'll get with you about your parts bike. I think I will need it. This one has had the fenders futzed with, and is missing the rear brake light and license bracket. Not to mention the some other bodges from the DPO. I really appreciate your offer.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #20831
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 875
Today's ride

Todd and I hooked up today for a spirited ride over to and around Lake Anna. Back roads from Woodman Rd to 54 to 522. We had a great meatball sandwich in Mineral then worked our way back via Bumpass and around Beaver Dam. Lots of sunshine! No ice and by 1:00 PM the temp gauge was over 40 degrees. Thanks for stopping by Todd.

Jeff .... That ride looks awesome. I can't wait to see it and hear all 73cc's purring.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #20832
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
I'd like to get a set of stock lights off another DS bike that are shorter and more flexible if anyone has input on those. BMW, KTM, Honda,etc... One of them is bound to be using a decent crash proof one.
one of the easiest to work with in an OEM signal is the 08 and up KLR650 rears. the KLR uses a versatile 2 hole steel mounting bracket, while the light itself is rubber mounted to the bracket through a pear shaped hole with backer plate. durable, and found cheap used. the 2006 and up Ninja 650R used the same rubber base, so these signals also fit the KLR brackets.

like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Kawasaki-...55e83d&vxp=mtr

the signals themselves are often found for $4-5/ea in good shape.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #20833
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Chester folks:

Anyone care to comment on the fare at the Steelhorse Grill in Chester??

I've heard tell that they may have decent liver and onions. Looking to getting my fix locally without riding all the way over to the The Pink Cadillac in Natural Bridge.

???????

Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #20834
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

Jeff, that is a really nice acquisition. Very close to my first bike, a Yamaha L5T.

PP
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #20835
MX_Andrew83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I have been doing a job in Midlothian over the past couple of weeks, and when I get off at the Woolridge Rd. exit on 288 my eyes are drawn to the hill on with two rutts going up it. Has anyone ever gone up and over? I can't help but wonder what's on the other side...

Has anyone here ever ventured over that hill?