Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #6241
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
April 5-21. Departing Tucson, AZ. How did we get to Tucson? Stay tuned.

I'll be waiting with baited breath! Bear breath that is...

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #6242
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 98
Mobius 11 - Tuson, AZ

I heard they were trucked down for some needed maintenance?

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #6243
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

DRZ-400 Steering Head Bearings

My take on steering head bearings and fork dampeners. Having come from riding bike with screw down dampeners (BSA Victors & HD Sprints) and up to modern dampeners (KTM 300 EXC), I have some thoughts and experiences on the issues facing you and Francine:

Due to your riding styles an expensive fork dampener would be a waste of money and just something else to go tits up on the bikes.

I have had to do maintenance on the state of the art dampeners (mine & others) a couple of times out in the wild. One time the dampener arm dohiggy on the steering head came loose. Sure they works great to reduce fork oscillations, when I am hitting it hard in the whoops & sand at speed. Which neither of you would be doing. Even on my Husaberg 570 FE I have not committed to putting in a Scott Dampener (I have one on the KTM). Before I tightened the FE 570 head stem down it did produce some terrifying head shakes at speed.

Reason: I have tried the 60's approach and just tightened down the head stem nut so that the forks do not swing on their own to the side, but rather creep over. This approach has been working for many years on most of my bikes. Unless you are doing high speed (> 50 mph) sand runs or rough road runs & full lock up slides a lot - a steering dampener is over kill.

As for head bearings going out. Use steel caged one and liberally coat with water proof grease (even a glob in the head tube and when assembled apply a bead of Super Lube (silicon grease) to the bottom gap between head stem & frame head tube. You can also put a piece of snug fitting inner tube around bottom of the head neck to keep dust and water out. Check the slack every month, keeping the assembly tight will ensure the bearings last many years. Carry a drift punch on long rides to tighten down on the stem lock nut till you get the setting right. The original bearings on my 2002 DRZ-400E, are still functioning fine after 17,000 miles. I have had a package of stem bearings on hand for 8 years and never felt the need to install them. Preventative maintenance is the key to keeping a long distance ride operating dependably.

Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #6244
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,521
M10, Day 14: Friday, Sept. 21, 2012

As has been mentioned, we'd been riding hard without a break for 13 days. We were only a few hours away from our destination at McDope's by pavement, Francine's bike was acting up between the steering bearing and the stator / weak charging issue. I had routed a circuitous path trying to hit as many peaks and passes and dirt as possible, but needless to say, our threshold for bailing out to avoid suffering was quite low.

Red Cone ridge, Webster pass, Georgia Pass, were all in the cards today. We anticipated that some of these trails might be steep and technical, so we took advantage of the pickup truck, and stowed our camping gear in the back, where Julie would drive to McDope's and meet us at the end of the day.

Our first challenge would be Webster pass via Red Cone road. Both open, looking promising:

Like most "...pass" roads, they start out innocuous.

Ya' gotta heed these kind of warnings, though.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #6245
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just past this sign,

was the cut-off too the right for Red Cone Road. Dingweeds rode point scouting Red Cone Road, and within a couple hundred feet had had enough.

We started up Webster Pass road a bit to check that out, but before we were out of sight of the cutoff we stopped to wait for Dingweeds to come back. I thought Dingweeds saw us, and we headed up, but weirdest thing,, we must be camoflaged, 'cause he turned left and headed back down the mountain. By the time we realized that, we also figured out that even Webster pass was gonna be a handful, and with all three of our bikes only running on one cylinder, prudence dictated that we stick to easier stuff.

D'oh.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #6246
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Headed down

a touch of pavement,

and then a left on Guanella Pass road, which I knew was doable in a passenger car.

It was part easy dirt,

and part paved,

but great weather, and nice views all around.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #6247
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The summit

was above the tree-line,

which was cool, and paved, which was not.

It was still kinda hazy today, though it didn't smell like smoke.

There were some nice switchbacks on the downhill,

and I gotta admit, it was kinda nice to be able to enjoy the views without having to worry much about the terrain.

I guess we weren't the only ones with this idea.

then again, we weren't the only ones on dirtbikes either.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #6248
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Bump Starting DRZ 400's

Dave, good investment would be kick-starters on your two DRZ's. Have had one on mine for 10 years and when needed it never failed to start the bike.....even with dead battery. Bump starting is easy with the DRZ 400E and the compression release!. Reno Deano

Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #6249
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The last couple switchbacks

gave us a nice panorama of Georgetown, CO which was our next fuel stop.

Since it was about break time, we stopped and had a little brunch in town. Our next challenge was a little mining road that cut across the Arapaho NF parallel to and south of I-70. A short ways into that we waved the white flag -- steep, technical, rocky, loose. Not for today. Our proposed bypass -- a frontage dirt road on the north side of the innerstate:

was going great until...

Of course, on the maps and the GPS it looked like it went through.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #6250
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we jumped on pavement

again, and hooked up with out intended route at Idaho Springs,

Nice 'n easy.

we next hooked into Squaw Pass rd,

which was a hoot,

and even had a little natural arch action going on.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #6251
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano View Post
Dave, good investment would be kick-starters on your two DRZ's. Have had one on mine for 10 years and when needed it never failed to start the bike.....even with dead battery. Bump starting is easy with the DRZ 400E and the compression release!. Reno Deano
I hear ya'. I've just figured since we're always riding together we could always jump start from one bike to the other, or swap batteries back and forth if only one charging system is working, at least enough to get by. Turns out bump starting is pretty easy.

There's a bit of a fitment issue with the kick starter and the gas tanks we're running. I've stacked the deck by installing anti-gravity lithium batteries. They should much better tolerate the long periods of inactivity in between rides than the glass mats. In a perfect world, I'd figure it out and get kickstarters, but it hasn't been a priority. I think you do a lot more solo riding, so it makes sense.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #6252
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Squaw pass

to Kerr Gulch road, to Bear Creek road... and already we were in the Denver suburbs. It didn't take us long to find the McDope ranch, and a warm welcome by Dave himself,

What a reception!

We relaxed in the lovely garden,

unpacked, got acquainted, and enjoyed a fantastic supper off the grill... mmmm ribs.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #6253
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 14 stats

.GPX file of the day's tracks is available here.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #6254
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
All Done!!!

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #6255
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Camoflaged Doc!!

Funny deal.........Doc was black, red and yellow..........all the Fall bright colors!!!!! ....A quik glance and I missed him!!!.........Dang-it!!!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote