Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #46
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy larrylarry75,

I took no offense by what you said, I didn't give any offense to you, I simply stated a fact, 95% of the roads, trails, tracks I have covered were done in one wheel drive, the other 5% were not possible by me without the use of two wheel drive. Perhaps it is you who went off half cocked, I stand by what I said in its entirety.

I don't have an ego that needs to be fed, I am not the greatest or even one of the better riders or rig drivers who post to this list, but I will admit to getting a bit tired of the same old boast of those who say if a person knew what they were doing two wheel drive isn't needed in some circumstances.

As to your offer of friendship, heck I'll ride with anyone the more the merrier and if I can learn something from someone I'll do it in a heart best and thank them for it, but I'll not sit by quietly when I think someone is smoking some good $hit and not passing it around.
Fine, I'm glad to hear that. I have no doubts about your riding skills with either 1WD or 2WD, there has never been mention of that. To be candid you have somehow misconstrued what I said in its entirety. Not wanting to debate this till the cows come home but simply for the sake of clarification and understanding here are my words exactly as stated in my first post. i'm doubtful I could have been clearer and there was not a shred of hostility in what I said. I would ask that you re-read it and do so with an open mind rather than one anticipating a personal affront.

" I wish I could comment on the Ural but my only experience has been with my Aprilia Pegaso 650 Cube dragging a Sputnik hack. Jay stuffed it all together for me and it's been reliable and fun. FWIW I never once ran into a need for 2WD but I can see why people feel the need for it since most buyers are new to the game and have never really done any "adventure" riding. Jesus just look at all the BMW guys who spend a fortune at Touratech outfitting their bikes for every possible off road situation and then never get out of Dodge. I ran into a ton of them on my first ride to Alaska on my Ninja 650R, think I may have startled a few of them but that's a different story.

Rather than comment further, if you have the time and are so inclined here's a link to my blog documenting our ride to Deadhorse, Alaska on our hacks. My buddy Mac rode with me on his brand new Ural Patrol so you can get a feel for both types of rigs including break downs, flat tires, electrical issues, etc. As has already been stated there's not much difference in cost between building or buying but there's one helluva lot of difference in reliability, or at least that's how it used to be. Having said that who could say no to a rig with a freaking paddle as part of its kit? If I were thinking of getting into the weird world of hacks I'd give Ural a really close look but regardless of which way you decide to go you'll have a lot of fun."

And that Mr Cob is everything that needs saying, I'm truly sorry you feel somehow you were being attacked for your choice of 2WD but that simply isn't what I said. I hope you have noted what I actually did say was "I have never needed 2WD" which is not saying you haven't; you simply ride in areas that I and probably 99% of the rest of hack riders don't ride in. Sometimes things get out of hand quickly which is what I feel happened in this instance and I expect we're all ready to move on.

Thanks for your understanding & best wishes.

LL75
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #47
Ockrocket OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Well, I'm not going to bother reading through the non relevant posts

Hijacks happen

FR700,

I didn't take the V-Max for a ride [other things came up] possibly for the better after seeing some vids and hearing stories of "first timers" piloting a chair.

So, at this point I'd be indebted if someone would take me somewhere safe and let me have little try in a Ural [less power equals more safety I'm thinking].

The other thing that I'm considering is finding if someone is interested trading my '09 Wee-Strom for a Ural outfit

Obviously both of those things need to be with someone here in Oz [preferably NSW].

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #48
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
I really don't like arguing with you or anyone else on this forum, it's too valuable a venue to jeopardize over triviality. I can tell we're probably not to distant in our thinking and having said that I'd rather be friends than adversaries. If you feel the same after reflection perhaps we can agree to disagree and leave this matter as friends. I'll return later and check in.
I wasn't looking to start an argument or question your personal experiences, I was just busting your chops on your comments that come across as overused stereotypes. That's why I added the "", seems we all need a reminder once in a while to not take ourselves too seriously.

Harley riders are compensating for their "shortcomings", BMW riders don't go further than their local Starbucks, Ural riders don't know anything about rigs, Goldwing riders have unnatural relations with stuffed animals, sportbike riders have adht and acne..........................They do get old, annoying and don't help anyone,.

It's all good.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #49
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Well, I'm not going to bother reading through the non relevant posts

Hijacks happen

FR700,

I didn't take the V-Max for a ride [other things came up] possibly for the better after seeing some vids and hearing stories of "first timers" piloting a chair.

So, at this point I'd be indebted if someone would take me somewhere safe and let me have little try in a Ural [less power equals more safety I'm thinking].

The other thing that I'm considering is finding if someone is interested trading my '09 Wee-Strom for a Ural outfit

Obviously both of those things need to be with someone here in Oz [preferably NSW].

Howdy Ockrocket,

Sorry for participating in the thread hijack but some things really get old after a while.

I would highly recommend contacting Jon Taylor the fellow who imports Ural's into Oz, he's a fine fellow and will be willing to answer questions and I am sure he could arrange a test ride.

Last July-August, I was a visitor to your country, Jon set me up with a Ural that I put over 9,000 klicks on whilst down under, I really enjoyed my ride in Oz and appreciated Jon's loan of the Ural. Click this link if your interested in reading a ride report concerning a Yanks perspective of riding in your fair country.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831331

Cheers mate.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #50
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Mr. Cob,
You old poseur! How dare you post a link to an Outback Adventure. Too funny!

Honestly, I came here to hear about the difference between the V-Strom and Ural, as I need to make a choice soon. My other option is to hack my KTM 950 Adventure but that is going to be expensive. I live off-road, so the Ural is probably my best bet. My thought process is that I can use it in the woods just like an atv. That will save me about $6500. I think the Ural will be my best bet and I'll need the 2WD and reverse to get me around the farm.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #51
Ockrocket OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post

Honestly, I came here to hear about the difference between the V-Strom and Ural, as I need to make a choice soon. My other option is to hack my KTM 950 Adventure but that is going to be expensive. I live off-road, so the Ural is probably my best bet. My thought process is that I can use it in the woods just like an atv. That will save me about $6500. I think the Ural will be my best bet and I'll need the 2WD and reverse to get me around the farm.
Unfortunately we don't get the two wheel drive version here in Oz, so the advantage of the Ural for me is the reverse gear and if I ding it off road it won't worry me as much.

I'm thinking of costing getting a chair put on the Wee still though as it might be cheaper and gives me the option of going back to two wheels on a bike I've owned from brand new if I decide I don't like riding an outfit.

Mr. Cob,
Thanks for the info, I will have a look at the link when I get a chance as well.

Ock.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #52
Bazzle21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
my two cents worth from Aus

i'm in sunny currently wet Townsville Nth Qld, Australia. For those over seas. I currently own a 2012 retro, I have just cracked over 2600 kilometres riding in all conditions. I have ridden the Taliban Taxi as a mate calls it over some average dirt roads and even so far as driving it up a creek bed filled with river rocks ect. I have had no problems with the bike on or off road. I don't do jumps or bush bash but have managed to go where I want without any dramas. Some would say im crazy taking it off road but hey I use common sense. Previous to the Retro i owned a Suzuki Bolavard 1500 cc with a chair. It was professionaly set up but rode like a pig.Chalk and cheese buy a ural you wont be disappointed, kick back at 100kph and enjoy the view. Mine will sit on 100 kph all day but i find i end up sitting on about 85 to 90 kph. If you want speed and motocross style riding go the V Strom but I doubt the chair will last the distance if flogged. good luck. If you want to chat pm me and i will pass on my phone number.
Bazzle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Ockrocket,
It's a major bummer that you guys can't get the 2WD URAL's. What about a BMW with a car wheel and tire and a driveshaft that runs the sidecar wheel. That 2WD system looks like it would be easy to do on the left hand tug! I'd seriously be looking at that! You'd have the best of both worlds. Plenty of power for highway cruising speed and 2WD for off-road use.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #54
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Ockrocket

I have found the link to a bit of a build thread of my strom outfit, I also had thoughts about taking of the chair but then came a leading link front end ,and a rear car tyre, So it all became to hard to remove the thing , Plus i dont want to take it of as i love the thing , Best thing i ever made , and its a chick magnet , I will be going to Delagate weekend sometime in may , not sure if on the outfit or my Dr , Let me know if you are going to attend , The 650 has enough power no probs

Strom Linky http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803485
bbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #55
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a couple of pics from the bards of the bush rally
Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #56
Ockrocket OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the PM, link and the pics here Bernie.

Not sure if I will be at Delegate, if I manage to make it I will try to find you.

How much would it cost me to get you to do another unit on my Wee-Strom?

I'm still trying to cost the various options.....

Get a rig done for my existing bike [the Wee].
Buy a second hand chair and get it fitted to the Wee.
Sell the Wee and buy a second hand Ural/other hack.

And would still like to get some time riding a hack to see what it is like, just to make sure I'm on the right track for my "next phase" of bike riding.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #57
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Ockrocket

I just dont have the time or the inclination to build another one , If i was to build another it would be on a Gsx 1400 as they lend themselves towards a chair a bit more than a strom ,, If the chair is at Delagate i could give you a small ride on the outfit only a small one mind you hehe ,, If you manage to ride one before be very carefull they seem to know that you havent ridden one ,, Thats about all the pics i have of the build maybe some leading link ones will have a better look

Cheers
Bernie
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #58
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

A couple more snaps of the leading link forks

bb
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #59
Ockrocket OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjay View Post

bb

Looks like you do good work mate.

[wouldn't really expect you'd be wanting to build more, was more a tongue in cheek comment- but then you can't find someone better than one who has done it for themselves and knows what it takes to get it right ]

But.........

Now you've made me sad

I miss my Kelpie dog.

Yours looks almost identical to the one I had years ago down in country Vic..
Nice dog.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #60
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah She is only a pup a year old got a lot to learn , I reckon i could stick a number on her side and run her at dapto dogs shes that fast ,, She would watch me making the leading links and had that look on her face like what the fuck is he doin this time , I lost one about a year before had her for 14 years very clever dog , This one is similar but not as obedient yet still a bit young

bb