User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,655
Question Dakar clutch part number

Does anybody know the EBC part number for the EBC clutch kit for a 2000-2005 Dakar?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Try putting the vin number here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and you can see all parts and numbers

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Not looking for the OEM clutch, looking for the EBC clutch. Not sure why every one is so fascinated by that site. Same parts fiche as the BMW dealers have on their sites. It's just OEM parts with a higher price sold by a third party. Look at the OEM clutch price there, $296.42, compared to from a dealer, $247.43.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 03:32 PM
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Not looking for the OEM clutch, looking for the EBC clutch. Not sure why every one is so fascinated by that site. Same parts fiche as the BMW dealers have on their sites. It's just OEM parts with a higher price sold by a third party. Look at the OEM clutch price there, $296.42, compared to from a dealer, $247.43.
Ehh....ok, haha.

1. Never heard of EBC

2. Site is awsome. Period. Don't have to go to the dealer to check parts, figure out what you need online and email your order to the dealer, didn't even know you could buy parts from that site. I use it mostly to see the drawings for DIY projects.

3. Sorry about responding. Wont happen again.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,204
Muddyrabbit,
After going through every Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky catalog. This is what I've come up with...

At www.ebcbrakes.com they have a link for their Euro catalog:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/EBC2009intlmccat.pdf

Check page 366 there. F650 EBC Brake kit, and Spring Kit.

Assuming you're all positive on which clutch kit fits in the G650X, you should be able to get a dealer to order a kit up. Looking at things though, it almost makes me wonder if EBC is the supplier for OEM BMW Clutches in the US. Might explain why in their US catalog they don't have any BMW. Who knows. Or just go OEM on the clutch?

Andrew

ps. headsup on the realoem parts fiche. The prices are the msrp the dealer sees. There's no purchasing via realoem.com
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

EBC clutch for G650 X bikes.

The US importer for EBC can't be bothered to get the G-X bike clutches, even though it fits like 5 bikes. So I just spent a week figuring out how to get the EBC clutch kit for our bikes. At first the US importer told me they don't make it. Then a series of stumbled upon information eventually unravelled the following mystery.
If you look at the OEM part numbers, the G650 X bikes take the same clutch as the F-650 GS and Dakar.
Link to BMW parts fiche for G650 X-Country. Number 10 in the diagram is the clutch kit, PN 21217705822
Link to the 2003 to 2005 F650 Dakar/M. Again, number 10 in the diagram is the clutch kit, PN 21217705822
The OEM is $247.xx. I did find a solution. Bike Bitz UK has the EBC clutch kit with stiffer springs, and will ship to the US, total cost with stiffer springs and shipping, $97.50! Plus I think Most would agree the EBC is a better clutch. Part numbers are:
Clutch Kit: CK5635
Springs: CSK104

Edit, plus they will only take payment by bank transfer, which adds another $30. Still $120 cheaper than OEM.

Perfect Brakes, based in Ohio, is working on getting these over here. The same clutch kit also fits the 2002-2007 F-650 GS, and I believe the new G-650 GS.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 08-26-2009 at 10:17 AM
Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
andrewgore
Team MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
The US importer for EBC can't be bothered to get those clutches, even though it fits like 5 bikes. If you look at the OEM part numbers, the G650 X bikes take the same clutch as the F-650 GS and Dakar. The OEM is $247.xx. I did find a solution. Bike Bitz UK has it, and will ship to the US, total cost with stiffer springs and shipping, $97.50! Plus I think Most would agree the EBC is a better clutch. Part numbers are:
Clutch Kit: CK5635
Springs: CSK104

So why are the prices on Real OEM different from the prices on the online BMW dealer parts fiche?
Glad you found a supplier. Hopefully it all bolts up nicely for you.

As for why the prices don't match up.....I honestly have no idea Then again, I do all I can to avoid buying from the dealer. The parts fiche on Realoem just happens to be far more convenient for me, especially when it comes to my old BMW car stuff.

Andrew
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Edited that since you posted, with further explanation, and I'm sending this to Gadget Boy to add to the X-Bike thread index. Hopefully no one else will have to go through this again!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
andrewgore
Team MGH

Be sure to post up what you find when you go to swap. Here is another confusing part.....Check the diagram for the 09 model:

Less plates and some other jazz going on there, and different #'s for the clutch kit. Curse you BMW

Andrew
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Looks like they eliminated a disc and added a couple of spacers to make up for it. If the clutch basket and everything else is still the same, the EBC should still work.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Re clutch plates

BMW changed the clutch in 2005 with the introduction of the dual spark, one less of each plate to overcome the clutch slippage problems encountered by some GS single spark owners. Have put the details here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ClutchRepair.html

BMW have not updated the part No for the earlier GS to use the newer plates for some reason
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote