Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #4081
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
It's 20 or so miles east of Sudbury, ON and located close to Lake Lavigne. Ought to be a very good location.
Do you have a link to the Rally info?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #4082
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 617
http://ontarioguzziriders.com/
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #4083
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Grazie Mille!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #4084
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 6,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Awesome pics, but GOOD GOWD, is that all the snow you've got in CO Springs?!!! That can't be normal, is it?!!
We don't generally get a ton of snow here in the Springs, but that picture is from just east of the San Isabel NF, where there should be more snow.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #4085
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Grazie Mille!
Prego.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #4086
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

This is a question for anyone who has removed their fuel tank. What's the secret to removing the fuel line with the fancy clip? I have everything else ready for removal

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #4087
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 346
DM, I just removed my gas tank recently. There are two ways to do this. The official way is to press in on the actual fuel line, it will move about 1/16", then push the black retainer ring in towards the tank and the fuel line will then pop out in your hand. Another way is to take a very fine pick, like a ground down ice pick, and press the small black retaining lugs away from the fuel line. You can see these clips if you look very closely between the fuel line and the black ring.

It helps to disconnect the electrical connection to the fuel pump and then crank the engine. That will take all pressure off the fuel line.

Good luck!

Peter Y.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #4088
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 16,722
Just press the elbow of the fuel line in toward the tank, it will move inward a little bit. Then while still pressing inward on the elbow, push the black ring inwards too. Then, while holding the black ring in, release pressure on the elbow and pull it out of the tank.

It works easy as pie.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #4089
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
DM, I just removed my gas tank recently. There are two ways to do this. The official way is to press in on the actual fuel line, it will move about 1/16", then push the black retainer ring in towards the tank and the fuel line will then pop out in your hand. Another way is to take a very fine pick, like a ground down ice pick, and press the small black retaining lugs away from the fuel line. You can see these clips if you look very closely between the fuel line and the black ring.

It helps to disconnect the electrical connection to the fuel pump and then crank the engine. That will take all pressure off the fuel line.

Good luck!

Peter Y.
I ended up using the tiny screwdriver method...I actually got it before I checked back here.

Now that I have the tank and trim off is there anything else I should do while I have it apart? The whole reason for this was to install my OEM heated grips. I had already installed Oxford heated grips but when they lowered the OEM grips to $100 or so I bought some. I'm just hoping that the OEM grips get as warm as the Oxfords...those babies get hot on the highest setting.

I am also putting handlebar risers on...maybe I should do the Euro turn signal mirror conversion?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #4090
James Adams
Not a Texan

You shouldn't need to remove the tank for the mirrors/turn signals installation, so that can be easily done at a different time.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #4091
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 16,722
Uh, you might want to keep those Oxford grips handy. I've got the MG grips on mine and they don't get nearly as warm as the BMW grips that came on my GSA.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #4092
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Uh, you might want to keep those Oxford grips handy. I've got the MG grips on mine and they don't get nearly as warm as the BMW grips that came on my GSA.
Hmmm, I haven't put them on yet. Maybe I should rethink this.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #4093
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 346
DM, now that you have the tank off it's time to check the upper engine mounts...two on each jug. The specs seem to call for 80NM but that's much too high for the size of the bolts. I'd think in terms of 45NM or so. The point is that there have been reports of the bolts coming loose and you don't want that!

Also check the two throttle cables on the left upper frame. The cables tend to fray where they touch the engine mount bolts.

The heated grip leads were easy to find on my bike, did not need to take the tank off. Someone else reported that his grip leads were hidden behind the ABS module. While you have the tank off you can get a good look at where yours are so the later install will be easy peasy.

Peter Y.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #4094
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
DM, now that you have the tank off it's time to check the upper engine mounts...two on each jug. The specs seem to call for 80NM but that's much too high for the size of the bolts. I'd think in terms of 45NM or so. The point is that there have been reports of the bolts coming loose and you don't want that!

Also check the two throttle cables on the left upper frame. The cables tend to fray where they touch the engine mount bolts.

The heated grip leads were easy to find on my bike, did not need to take the tank off. Someone else reported that his grip leads were hidden behind the ABS module. While you have the tank off you can get a good look at where yours are so the later install will be easy peasy.

Peter Y.
I'll check the mounts and cables. What are your thoughts about the amount of heat from the OEM grips?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #4095
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I'll check the mounts and cables. What are your thoughts about the amount of heat from the OEM grips?
I like the OEM heated grips. They put out plenty of heat for me; I usually use them on low or medium. The connectors for mine were underneath the ABS module and a real pain to get to.