User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
2-stroke Bikes? Dual sport, trail, really ridden

Okay so I looked in the old's cool thread & if it aint 70's or older you're a leper. "They" say go to the thumper thread. Thumper has always meant xr500r to me, that dates me some . The title " One cylinder. Less filling." has me going okay 1 cylinder, yeah we can do that , less filling uhhhh. Okay yeah so I'm looking at a 6.6 gallon yamaha tank to fit upon my RMX250. Ahh & to the point of my sickness, I thought I could do a $1000 RMX250 add $200 for lighting & have a nice all purpose bike. I musta been high , it'll be more like a $2200. You get to a point where you go (*^(%^&%#& do I finish it so it "goes" or do I make what I had in mind in the first place?
My biggest problem so far has been orange yellow vs newer lime yellow plastic, yup I forgot plastics & a bigger tank. The initial idea of a yz250 sounds better than ever now but I'm commited .

Anyway I'm looking for inspiration. Show me some 2-stroke bikes you really put the miles on & some of the trials you've had building them & tips for getting them to crank out the miles
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,085
Theres no trick to getting a 2 stroke to last longer,dont jet em too lean,dont let dirt get past the air filter,clean air and fuel with good oil. Im not sure why a person would need a Yamaha tank on an RMX but it sounds like a headache in progress.
Just run the stock 3 gallon tank and strap a gallon on the back when you need it.
By chance Ive got some RMX parts here,Im parting out a bottom end with good crank/gears/cases, got a nice complete tall/soft seat with gripper cover. Ive got some wheels,and some other odds and ends.
Nice barely used FMF pipe as well here. fits 91/92 for sure maybe other years.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
The pipe interest's me for sure. Just bought a new seat foam & cover. PM me some pics of the pipe & a $. I could use a non sleeved jug if you have one.

On the tank, I dont care for the 2 different colors of plastic, it would irritate me & I want a bigger tank anyway. I can fab mounts for the tank & the wr250/450 6.6 gal tank looks like the closest possibilty. I'll just get it in natural color &it solves the plastic color conundrum. I've built 2 kx500af bikes over the last couple years so fabbing tank mounts almost sounds easy .

Thanks for the pointers some stuff you just dont think of.
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,805
I nearly bought a RMX a few years ago and was wondering if a DRZ tank might fit.

They look very simaler in the frame and plastics ( I was looking at them side by side).

Just a thought anyway.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Here's another idea

Why not come and get my KDX----it's a cherry that I build a couple years ago to use as a loaner to friends that come to ride with me. Trouble is I'm so old that I don't have anyone left who still rides to loan it to. Not only is it in cherry condition but it is street legal with turn signals and the whole bit. I'd want $2500 for it though---like I said---it's cherry. It's in Spring
Glen, Utah---(near Price).
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote