Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #616
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Thanks for that pic, Blacktiger. It shows what I'm a bit concerned about, that on the right side the mounting surface of the rack seems to sit an inch or so further out from the can than it really needs to. With a narrower can (I think the LV I'm considering is a bit narrower) there'll be a bit more of a visible gap(?). With soft cases (like the Wolfman) there is not really an option for a smaller case on the right, but if I get the Trax side boxes I'll most likely go with the 38L on the right and the 45 on the left to 'balance' it out. No problems with the 1/4 turn Quick Release cams? They stay tight and don't unlock themselves?
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #617
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Thanks for that pic, Blacktiger. It shows what I'm a bit concerned about, that on the right side the mounting surface of the rack seems to sit an inch or so further out from the can than it really needs to. With a narrower can (I think the LV I'm considering is a bit narrower) there'll be a bit more of a visible gap(?). With soft cases (like the Wolfman) there is not really an option for a smaller case on the right, but if I get the Trax side boxes I'll most likely go with the 38L on the right and the 45 on the left to 'balance' it out. No problems with the 1/4 turn Quick Release cams? They stay tight and don't unlock themselves?
Have you considered Holan?
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #618
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Ive got a brand new set of HT racks and boxes if your interested, couple hundred off retail + shipping.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #619
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
No problems with the 1/4 turn Quick Release cams? They stay tight and don't unlock themselves?
No problem at all. There's quite a notch that the pegs goes into.

If you do go with the Quickloc frames you might want to consider the Give Trekker panniers which would be a bit cheaper than the Trax. Although they are plastic they are pretty robust in construction and do look good IMO. Here they are mounted on my mate's TEX.

blacktiger screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 08:43 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #620
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Ive got a brand new set of HT racks and boxes if your interested, couple hundred off retail + shipping.
Hmm... may need to look a little more closely at these. At first glance, I like the Mohave soft packs and the Owyhee cases. The 'V' in the cross-brace of the rack is a bit odd, though...

PM sent, BTW...
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #621
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
HT Racks

Quote:
Hmm... may need to look a little more closely at these. At first glance, I like the Mohave soft packs and the Owyhee cases. The 'V' in the cross-brace of the rack is a bit odd, though...

PM sent, BTW...

They are no longer made with the 'V'. But the cross brace is still too low. It should go behind the license plate. While they are the strongest racks on the market, they have some funky design flaws. Don't try to use them with a Leo Vince can, they won't fit on together. Don't ask me how I know.

I like mine okay, they are the second set I've run on two different bikes. Doing it again I would probably go wolfman. You can run plastic cases or their expedition bags with them, and they tuck in close. Berg does a nice job on them.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #622
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Mark, you got me interested. Is there a thread where you have discussed the install? How difficult was the install? If it is easier with the big bar adapter, I might as well get it. I am total novice so more details you can give me the better. I will highly appreciate it.
Not a separate thread, no. The install was not complicated. I used the big bar adapter on the throttle side but not on the clutch side; with a little more fiddling, I wouldn't have needed it on the throttle side either. Other people have done it with the regular bar clamp.

When you use the regular bar clamp, you can use the conical spacers at the ends of the bars that are part of the stock handguard installation, as shown here on my left-side handguard. (Also, I had to grind a little material out of the bar clamp to make it fit the bar better; I just used a Dremel.)

With the big-bar adapter on the right, I had to use a couple of thinner spacers to move the whole handguard assembly inboard -- that conical spacer was too wide, and the handguard wasn't long enough to mate with the big-bar adapter with that spacer in place. The thinner spacers I used were the washers used on the outer surface of the stock handguards; I just used them both together. If you put the handguard flush against the bar, it hits the throttle tube and restricts it, so you need to put something in between.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #623
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The choice of bags you put on the frames is up to you but I haven't been disappointed with the Quickloc Evos. They stick out this far....
What tank bag are you sporting there?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #624
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
What tank bag are you sporting there?
That's a Touratech strap-on That I've had for years. It didn't really fit too well so I bought the Triumph City tankbag & harness.
It sort of "perched" on the hump of the tank and moved around too much.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #625
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Blacktiger, so if my understanding is right, you are saying that no drilling is required? Just unscrewing the stock bar ends and screwing in the Acerbis bar ends?

Quote:
I know you've solved your immediate problem but for future reference those tricky looking ends do unscrew from the bar. There are flats machined into it to get a spanner on. I think the inside diameter is the same as Renthals at 14mm.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #626
TekurRides
Adventurer

Thanks for all the information Poweranger. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
Ok here is what I did today to address the stock bar end bolt.

Hope this helps you guys out with the questions.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #627
TekurRides
Adventurer

Mark, I am not able to see the pictures because of some firewall at work but thanks for the inputs. I will check it out when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Not a separate thread, no. The install was not complicated. I used the big bar adapter on the throttle side but not on the clutch side; with a little more fiddling, I wouldn't have needed it on the throttle side either. Other people have done it with the regular bar clamp.

When you use the regular bar clamp, you can use the conical spacers at the ends of the bars that are part of the stock handguard installation, as shown here on my left-side handguard. (Also, I had to grind a little material out of the bar clamp to make it fit the bar better; I just used a Dremel.)

With the big-bar adapter on the right, I had to use a couple of thinner spacers to move the whole handguard assembly inboard -- that conical spacer was too wide, and the handguard wasn't long enough to mate with the big-bar adapter with that spacer in place. The thinner spacers I used were the washers used on the outer surface of the stock handguards; I just used them both together. If you put the handguard flush against the bar, it hits the throttle tube and restricts it, so you need to put something in between.

--mark
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #628
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
I know you've solved your immediate problem but for future reference those tricky looking ends do unscrew from the bar. There are flats machined into it to get a spanner on. I think the inside diameter is the same as Renthals at 14mm.
I noticed the flats but couldn't tell if there was a way to remove them. I may try it when I get time.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #629
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:

For reals?? You can remove those funky skinny bolt inserts and then install expanding plugs like normal bars?

That's how I would want to do it.
I really should do something. Sooner or later I'm gonna drop the thing and it will probably break a lever when I'm in BFE.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #630
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
For reals?? You can remove those funky skinny bolt inserts and then install expanding plugs like normal bars?

That's how I would want to do it.
I really should do something. Sooner or later I'm gonna drop the thing and it will probably break a lever when I'm in BFE.
I believe the factory inserts allow for the heated grip wires to pass around the flatted portion of those ends. Swapping them would require a wiring workaround.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote