Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #1156
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Do you think the whole chain is toast? To me it looks like it's just the links with the plate that are all messed up.

I'm going to go to the bike shop in a few hours when it opens, remove the damaged links, and try and put it back together with the master link that I have. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to just buy a new chain here. I would like to try and avoid that as they are extremely expensive here in town. If I can make it last another 400 miles or so, I can get to Punta Arenas where they have a sort of tax free zone and get one a lot cheaper. I'm also going to try and make that old chain slider work. I may have to find someone with a tap as neither I nor Manolito know how to say "self taping screw" in Spanish.

I'm about to head down and flop the countersprocket around.
Check all the chain pins as it looks like a lot of wear on the inside of the plates. If you can use the masters you have just replace that one link with what you have. Lube it up really good and maybe a little looser than normal.
Dave
Ride On!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #1157
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
If I may reiterate, the best way to set chain tension on your, and any similar, bike is to compress the suspension such that the centerlines of the front and rear sprocket align with the cnterline of the swingarm pivot, then set to near-taut (just barely loose of having tension).
No need to guess...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #1158
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Problems solved....tal vez?

Day 126 (February 18, 2013)
Rio Gallegos, Argentina
Day's Ride: a few miles around town

As soon as they opened this morning I went to the local moto shop. I removed the damaged link and installed one of the master links that I had and found that the chain was now way to short. So, now I needed a new chain....

Unfortunately, the only thing that they had in 520 was this non o-ring number. Blast. Luckily, it wasn't too expensive. Only 300 pesos.

After we put that on, I asked if they would help me drill some holes so that I could re-install my old chain slider. Unfortunately, it was time for siesta....

That meant that my chances of getting out of Rio Gallegos today were shot. Why does everybody in Argentina need to take a three hour lunch break? When you've got things to do and places to go, siesta time becomes very frustrating. These are the times that I wish I were back in the States.

I went back to the Hostel for a while then headed over to Manolito's house for steaks. Manolito showed me his indoor BBQ; very cool!

He's say's that everyone in Argentina has something like this at their house.

After lunch we sat around for a while and waited for the moto shop to re-open. At 3:00 PM we went back to the moto shop only to have them tell us that they wouldn't be able to work on my bike until tomorrow.

As we were standing around discussing what I should do next, Maritzio showed up on his Battle Scooter. I met Maritzio at my hostel yesterday. He's on a round the world trip on his 350cc, three wheeled scooter! Incredible. He's already rode the length of Africa on this thing.

Manolito told me about a mechanic that might be able to help me drill and tap my swing arm and we decided to ride over to his shop and see if he could do it. When we got there we found that he was still closed. Luckily, we had just passed a different mechanic who appeared to be open, so we back-tracked and asked if they could help. After Manolito explained what I needed, they said that they could do it. It's so nice to have a translator.

After taking off part of the rack and moving the battery box, one of the mechanics drilled a hole in the swing arm.

Meanwhile, I took my leatherman and cut a new slot in the end of the old chain slider.

After we had drilled the new holes in the swing arm, we ran into a problem. The mechanic couldn't get enough downward pressure on the tap to thread the new holes. So, we solved the problem by just getting a really long bolt and sliding it all the way through the swing arm.

Because we didn't have a bolt of that length on hand, the owner of the shop drove Manolito over to the bolt shop to buy one. When they returned and the bolt that they had just purchased didn't work, the owner took Manolito back to the shop to buy another one!

While they were running for the second bolt, I did my best to reinforce the old chain slider with super glue and duck tape.

If you can't tell, this thing is barely holding together! Just a small piece of rubber. I think it will hold, but just to be safe, I loaded it down with super glue.

We finally put everything back together and I had the mechanics sign my tank. I tried to pay them, or at least buy them beer, but they refused! I love meeting awesome people like this. It really makes the trip.

After we finished up we went back to Manolito's house and I had him sign my tank. Manolito is awesome! He has totally gone out of his way to help while I've been here. Once again, another highlight of the trip!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to make it all the way to Ushuaia. I'm still feeling some sort of drag when I pull in the clutch and coast. I don't know if it's the chain catching on the newly configured chain slider or something else. I may take my rear wheel off before I leave in the morning and check my rear wheel bearings. Beyond that and the chain, I have no idea what could be causing that feeling. Maybe it's all in my head. I have a tendency to imagine problems. I'm so tired of bike problems. I just want to make it to Ushuaia.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #1159
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Quote:
Day 126 (February 18, 2013)
Rio Gallegos, Argentina
Day's Ride: a few miles around town

As soon as they opened this morning I went to the local moto shop. I removed the damaged link and installed one of the master links that I had and found that the chain was now way to short. So, now I needed a new chain....

Unfortunately, the only thing that they had in 520 was this non o-ring number. Blast. Luckily, it wasn't too expensive. Only 300 pesos.

After we put that on, I asked if they would help me drill some holes so that I could re-install my old chain slider. Unfortunately, it was time for siesta....

That meant that my chances of getting out of Rio Gallegos today were shot. Why does everybody in Argentina need to take a three hour lunch break? When you've got things to do and places to go, siesta time becomes very frustrating. These are the times that I wish I were back in the States.

I went back to the Hostel for a while then headed over to Manolito's house for steaks. Manolito showed me his indoor BBQ; very cool!

After lunch we sat around for a while and waited for the moto shop to re-open. At 3:00 PM we went back to the moto shop only to have them tell us that they wouldn't be able to work on my bike until tomorrow.

As we were standing around discussing what I should do next, Maritzio showed up on his Battle Scooter. I met Maritzio at my hostel yesterday. He's on a round the world trip on his 350cc, three wheeled scooter! Incredible. He's already rode the length of Africa on this thing.

Manolito told me about a mechanic that might be able to help me drill and tap my swing arm and we decided to ride over to his shop and see if he could do it. When we got there we found that he was still closed. Luckily, we had just passed a different mechanic who appeared to be open, so we back-tracked and asked if they could help. After Manolito explained what I needed, they said that they could do it. It's so nice to have a translator.

After taking off part of the rack and moving the battery box, one of the mechanics drilled a hole in the swing arm.

Meanwhile, I took my leatherman and cut a new slot in the end of the old chain slider.

After we had drilled the new holes in the swing arm, we ran into a problem. The mechanic couldn't get enough downward pressure on the tap to thread the new holes. So, we solved the problem by just getting a really long bolt and sliding it all the way through the swing arm.

Because we didn't have a bolt of that length on hand, the owner of the shop drove Manolito over to the bolt shop to buy one. When they returned and the bolt that they had just purchased didn't work, the owner took Manolito back to the shop to buy another one!

While they were running for the second bolt, I did my best to reinforce the old chain slider with super glue and duck tape.

If you can't tell, this thing is barely holding together! Just a small piece of rubber. I think it will hold, but just to be safe, I loaded it down with super glue.

We finally put everything back together and I had the mechanics sign my tank. I tried to pay them, or at least buy them beer, but they refused! I love meeting awesome people like this. It really makes the trip.

After we finished up we went back to Manolito's house and I had him sign my tank. Manolito is awesome! He has totally gone out of his way to help while I've been here. Once again, another highlight of the trip!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to make it all the way to Ushuaia. I'm still feeling some sort of drag when I pull in the clutch and coast. I don't know if it's the chain catching on the newly configured chain slider or something else. I may take my rear wheel off before I leave in the morning and check my rear wheel bearings. Beyond that and the chain, I have no idea what could be causing that feeling. Maybe it's all in my head. I have a tendency to imagine problems. I'm so tired of bike problems. I just want to make it to Ushuaia.
Glad to see you are ready to go. Luck on rest of the trip. Keep it lubed up and you'll be fine.
Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #1160
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:

That is a fantastic story! Who would have known this? Superior reportage.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #1161
Yuraco
Ciudadano de Sudamerica

Oddometer: 22
here is the italian guy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdxzldBhA3Y
'07 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'06 Sym GTS 250
Yuraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #1162
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
Hola Bryce, great to see youre almost all the way down there amigo ! great RR , saludos !!!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #1163
jaredwilson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
So close! You've definitely met no shortage of incredible people on your trip. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your way back up north. Very interested in the Patagonia sections!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #1164
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Shit! now that I see that last picture, I have to shave

A frind of mine mailed me and told me he's stuck in Rio Grande because the ferry is not sailing due to the strong winds (like yesterday ), so it means that Bryce must be stuck.

Edit: That's what his Spot is showing... that sucks

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer

Manolito screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 11:14 AM
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #1165
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Shit!... Bryce must be stuck.
Just making the eventual victory that much sweeter!

Adelante!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #1166
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Tierra del Fuego, the Land of Fire. Yeah right....

Day 127 (February 19, 2013)
Rio Gallegos, Argentina to Rio Grande, Argentina
Day's Ride: 235 Miles

Denied. Once again. I actually got up at a decent hour this morning, intent on catching an early ferry across the Straights of Magellan and then bombing all the way to Ushuaia in order to give my bike a proper viking funeral in the ocean as the sun went down. Unfortunately, the ferry had other plans.

After packing up my stuff and paying for my over priced hostel bed in Rio Gallegos, I went downstairs and loaded up my bike. My newly configured chain slider is looking pretty good.

I hit the road and was immediately having trouble staying on the road as brutal wind gusts blew me all over the place. I think after riding in the southern part of South America my bike is permanently going to lean at a 45 degree angle towards the west.

After a quick border crossing back into Chile and an hour or extremely cold and windy riding, I finally reached the ferry crossing and the Straits of Magellan.

I was immediately struck by the sheer number of cars, trucks, and tourist busses waiting in line. Luckily having a moto allows you skip lines like this, so I scooted up to the front.

Unfortunately, I soon found out that the ferry wasn't operating due to the high winds. Blast! I decided to wait a few hours and see if things improved. If not, I decided that I would head to Punta Arenas for the night and try and catch that ferry tomorrow.

I killed time for a few hours in the lee of a building, out of the wind, trying to avoid the gale. After talking with more people, I learned that the ferry in Punta Arenas was even less reliable than this ferry and that I would be better off just waiting here.

One hour turned into two, two hours turned into three, and so on. I eventually broke out my stove and cooked up some garlic and noodles for lunch. Then I looked for things to do to keep occupied.

I walked over to an old lighthouse and took some pictures....

I watched a sheep walk around all of the vehicles begging for food like some sort of stray dog...

And watched I a little tug boat like ferry pound through the high seas....

Before beaching itself next to the ferry landing, deploy a small ramp, and start taking on passengers. I briefly considered asking if they would let me try and ride my bike up the ramp.

I was just about to give up and go to Punta Arenas when one of the port officials told me that the ferry would start operating at 4:00 PM. Since it stays light pretty late down here, I decided that that would allow me enough time to make it to Rio Grande in Tierra del Fuego.

At 4:10 PM the ferry finally started operating again.

I shared the ferry with a rider named Bear from California. He had shipped down to Santiago to start his journey and was contemplating going to Russia to ride this summer. We decided to ride together to Rio Grande.

The wind was still incredibly strong. Huge pouts of spray were coming over the bow and drenching us and our bikes every time we crashed through a swell. As I'm rather susceptible to sea sickness, I went up on one of the upper platforms and got even more soaked trying to keep my eyes on the horizon.

After disembarking from the ferry, we still had about 160 miles to ride to make it to Rio Grande. This stretch is the only part of the trip to Ushuaia where you absolutely have to take a gravel road. There are a few different gravel roads to choose from; we decided to take the one that goes to Onasin as we had heard that it was more compacted and had less traffic.

The wind on the Island was even stronger than it had been on the continent and it was all I could to do to keep from being blown into the ditch. Moreover, it wasn't long before the temperature began to drop and I started freezing. Eventually I turned up my electric vest, hunkered down behind my tiny wind screen, and prayed to God that this would all be over soon. Whoever decided to name this place the "Land of Fire" should be shot. A more appropriate name would be "Land of Insane Wind and Bitter Cold".

We made the second border crossing of the day and were soon back in Argentina where the road turned back to pavement.

We arrived in Rio Grande right as the sun was going down and got beds at a small unmarked Hostel called "Ruta 40 Hostel".

For dinner we headed over to a take out BBQ joint and got a kilo of asado, a few chorizos, some french fries, and a bit of Miller.

I'm going to go get some sleep. It's been a long day. Tomorrow I make the final run into Ushuaia.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #1167
Pedrogomezrios
Quiet

Oddometer: 27
Amazing!!!! You are there... Go for usuahia, congrats!!!!
@PedroGomezRios
Pedrogomezrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #1168
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Dude, YOU ARE THERE! I've been watching all day. Drives me crazy. Just waiting to see you in Usuaia.
Good Luck tomorrow. Can't wait to see you there.
Dave
Ride On!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #1169
Yuraco
Ciudadano de Sudamerica

Oddometer: 22
Excelent!!!! Congrats!!!

the best wishes for your final leg!!

regards
Yuraco
'07 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'06 Sym GTS 250
Yuraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #1170
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
... Denied. Once again. ...
... Tomorrow I make the final run into Ushuaia.
You must have asked the Lord for patience!

May your trip be safe and go smoothly. Once you have successfully reached your target destination of Ushuaia, we can all breathe a sigh of relief. Then you'll be officially "done", so you can take it easier as you go where instincts lead, and smell a few more flowers.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote