User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks!

I agree, they had a finished, yet bad boy look and good paint.

Forgot to mention I had to replace the forks too. The stansions were pitted, so I scoured Ebay and got a nice set, polished off the ruined clear coat and shined 'em up, then new seals and then the springs and emulator valves. Uni air filter and cobra slip ons and a new header pipe.

She has a lot of pep. I almost got a written performance award on the highway for 70+, but the "presenter" was also a biker when not on duty and I was slipping through a group of cages and not doing numbskull stuff and he recognized it as such.

Sold it for 2K, so for a 'free' bike that means I only lost 2K in parts. :) New owner is a nice older guy and he appreciates it and that's good enough for me.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganski View Post
After two months of wrenching and a couple months of riding:

1982 XV920R

I dig it. I get a bit of buffeting from the windscreen at highway speeds so I have removed it for the moment.

Hey BikeBreakerBaker, how do you like your windscreen? Mine seems a little short. Or maybe too tall. But definitely NOT just right.......
I had one just like this, an '82 RJ that I sold to bk brkr baker earlier this year. He wanted a sister bike for his red '81 RH. Mine came from the PO with a National Cycle Plexifairing III on it that I rode behind for about 30,000 miles. Better protection and less buffeting than the stock windshield on the PC800 I got to replace the XV. Highly recommended. Enjoy your new bike. I miss mine and may buy another if I can find a good one.

thumpism screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 11:58 AM
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
PonyExpres
ScratchinMyAss

Oddometer: 118
My 2012 XV 950 T

Really smooth ride.

Puts a big smile on my face every time I ride.
PonyExpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
I just picked up the XVS1100 for a steal, once I get some k's on it I will let you know

Really happy with the brakes, aircooled engine, carbies and easy of servicing. rides very light too.

This is a nice bike, however the seat is very low and as such makes it uncomfortable to ride any great distance
Decided to sell it and look for something bigger/ different
Shame really cause it has great engine, brakes, handling and looks.

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,624
Only Yamaha cruiser I ever owned was a 1983 XS650 Heritage Special, but I've always loved the Viragos. The V-Stars are ok, but I preferred the older styled Virago, especially the dual shock 750 and 1100. But if it's a cruiser it's ok by me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganski View Post
Mine the day I brought it home after an 18 year stint in the corner of a garage:

After two months of wrenching and a couple months of riding:

1982 XV920R

I dig it. I get a bit of buffeting from the windscreen at highway speeds so I have removed it for the moment.

Hey BikeBreakerBaker, how do you like your windscreen? Mine seems a little short. Or maybe too tall. But definitely NOT just right.......
Love those things..had few from mid 80's to late 90's.
Would be nice to find one that clean..
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Some old pics

Custom built race bikes

The days of high passion, love and dedication to building your own...
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
adcolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I had a 81 750. Put 50500 miles on it in 2 years. Had to rebuild the top end. Cost me $500 and all the labor. 6 month later you could buy them for $15-100 in the crate.

Put the 5 gal tank from the 920 chain drive model on it. Had a rack, sissy bar, and a set of Bagman bags on it. Burned them on a 1/2 dozen bikes before giving them away a couple of years ago. Wore out two tank bags on it. The hot set up was to put Progressive fork spring on the front, 600# spring on the rear, move the rear dampening cables over two slots higher.

You had to use the gear box to go over mountains. Against a stock 83 Shovelhead Wideglide it would keep up if I was one up. 2 up and the Shovel left you. But nothing ever fell off of mine. You could catch up while they put parts back on and tightened things up.

I later bought an 82 that ate 2 engines and didn't quite make it to 20k miles. I have another 82 in my shop right now. Intrigued by the gold one up the list here.
adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I've had my 2000 V-star 1100 since new. It's a comfortable light tourer/cruiser that fits me and the wife well. Easy to work on, plenty of power when you throw on pod intake with appropriate jettting, many OEM and after market items, air cooled simplicity and lightness. No longer in production but many excellent used examples up to '09 around at reasonable to cheap prices.

Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #25
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,186

I wanted a dual sport like a DR650 when I first got my license, but then this fell into my lap. I got my '04 650 Classic back in June of 2011 from a co-worker who needed to get rid of it. There were only 8400 miles on the odometer and it came with the windshield and hard bags. I had to have the carbs cleaned and put new tires on it as it had been sitting for seven months or so, but that's OK considering I paid $1400 and the previous owner took payments
I managed to put another 13,000 miles on this bike in the 12 months following restoration to road worthy conditions. My commute was only about four miles round trip, but I rode from Vegas to Prescott, AZ and to Riverside, CA as well. I also rode the 420 miles from Las Vegas to Price, UT when I moved up here this past June
I love the way my V-Star rides in town and on day trips, but I wouldn't mind something for longer tours and another one for more dirt. That said, I don't think I could've done much better for a first bike
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,624
The V-Star 650 is actually quite capable of long distance trips, I remember at least one 2 week trip I took on an '81 Yamaha XS400 Special. They are no good for 2 up touring, but solo there is nowhere they won't go that any other street bike will go.

Think back to the '60s, when a 650 was a huge bike. It is still plenty big. Only now they don't break down like they used to. Many people toured on 650cc British bikes. Thousands of people have crossed the country on 50cc mopeds and scooters. ANY 650 will keep up with freeway traffic just fine without a passenger.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #27
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Jerry - Yes, the V-Star 650 is capable of long trips. My biggest problem is the lack of range. I have to really wind up the engine to get to 70 - 80 MPH & usually see mileage in the 30s. That means just about 100 miles from full to reserve & 4 fuel stops between here & Vegas.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
They must be selling a TON of those 650's.

I see a lot of them.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,116
I just purchased a 2000 V Star Classic XVS650.It rides well,but is no corner carving machine.I shouldn't expect that,but I mostly ride sport bikes.This one popped up and the owners needed dough ASAP.I made an offer and she is mine.Needs the usual maintenance and detailing.I would like to add,crash bars,foot boards,heal toe pedals,luggage rack,and a rejet.I love the quite exhaust.All my other bikes have flow through racing exhaust.I know these bikes aren't the greatest.It's the first cruiser I have owned.I have ride a lot of cruisers in the past but it's been 18+ years since then.I am having to get used to putting my feet out,instead of under me or back.

She's a purdy thang.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I just purchased a 2000 V Star Classic XVS650.It rides well,but is no corner carving machine.I shouldn't expect that,but I mostly ride sport bikes.This one popped up and the owners needed dough ASAP.I made an offer and she is mine.Needs the usual maintenance and detailing.I would like to add,crash bars,foot boards,heal toe pedals,luggage rack,and a rejet.I love the quite exhaust.All my other bikes have flow through racing exhaust.I know these bikes aren't the greatest.It's the first cruiser I have owned.I have ride a lot of cruisers in the past but it's been 18+ years since then.I am having to get used to putting my feet out,instead of under me or back.

She's a purdy thang.

Welcome to the V-Star world! I have a 2004 classic and it's actually a darn good bike

650 CCND has a ton of info about them including adding floorboards to an earlier bike like yours and a calculator that lets you figure out speed vs. rpm as the bike has no tach - http://www.650ccnd.com/calc.htm. Keep an eye out on eBay for parts - they'll be MUCH cheaper than elsewhere

Have fun