Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #631
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
I believe the factory inserts allow for the heated grip wires to pass around the flatted portion of those ends. Swapping them would require a wiring workaround.
You are correct. Check out the link.

http://triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9638058-US.pdf
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #632
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
For reals?? You can remove those funky skinny bolt inserts and then install expanding plugs like normal bars?

That's how I would want to do it.
I really should do something. Sooner or later I'm gonna drop the thing and it will probably break a lever when I'm in BFE.

I thought those inserts looked fairly sturdy. I just did not like the small bolt. Its only purpose on the Roadie being to hold that bar end cap thingy on. I did stick a pair of needle nose pliers in the bar end and try to unscrew the stock insert. Couldn't get it to move. But the leverage I could get with pliers was minimal. I think they are plenty strong enough to hold the handguards if you drop the bike. I know mine are on there solid. If I crash hard enough to knock one of those handguards off then the broken handguard will probably be the least of my worries.

I still want to see someone remove them though. Just out of curiosity how they work.

Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #633
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,266
So what is the best way to mount a Givi Monokey case on a 800XC? I see so many racks (Alt-rider, Sw-Motech, Terrortech) and then custom plates for the monokey / generic givi mount / options and options...

Got a Trekker on the way. Going to put the one 33L as a top box for now and eventually add another and put them as side cases and add a 46L on top, but having to buy one piece at a time as I can afford it...

I want the rack to be black to match the Tiger and the SW Motech appears to only be available in Silver powdercoat on the TT site, but the pics show black.
There is a pretty big price difference in the difference plates and adapters.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #634
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
So what is the best way to mount a Givi Monokey case on a 800XC? I see so many racks (Alt-rider, Sw-Motech, Terrortech) and then custom plates for the monokey / generic givi mount / options and options...
My solution was to use an SW-Motech Alu Rack.

I already had an Alu Rack on another bike, and already owned the Givi Monokey adapter, and already owned the SW-Motech rack extender, so it seemed like a good solution. I can only ride one bike at a time, but this makes it easy to swap stuff between bikes.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #635
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
TT = TouraTech or Twisted Throttle (or other)? I don't see any mention of color on the Twisted Throttle site..
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...auser-topcases
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #636
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Blacktiger, so if my understanding is right, you are saying that no drilling is required? Just unscrewing the stock bar ends and screwing in the Acerbis bar ends?
Yes.

Quote:
For reals?? You can remove those funky skinny bolt inserts and then install expanding plugs like normal bars?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
I believe the factory inserts allow for the heated grip wires to pass around the flatted portion of those ends. Swapping them would require a wiring workaround.
Yes, correct. But only with the Triumph grips. If you use Oxfords or similar, like me, it's no problem.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #637
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
TT = TouraTech or Twisted Throttle (or other)? I don't see any mention of color on the Twisted Throttle site..
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...auser-topcases
was looking at the STEEL Rack...

Quote:
The Steel-Rack has a silver powder coated finish and includes detailed installation instructions.
Pictures show black, but above quote says it is silver.

$154.98 + $19.99 for Givi Monokey Hardware.

Searching through the pages of "what fits my bike" for 800/800XC, I don't see an alu-rack option. (Aluminum)

---

edit: terrortech has this but pics show only in silver. Not that big of a deal... for $122.60

RZLA has Alt Rider for $151.17 but is out of stock for the Givi adapters...

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:14 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #638
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:

Got a Trekker on the way.

You just need to make sure that the plate you buy has been drilled to accept the Monokey adaptors http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...onokey-topcase and the Trekker will simply click on.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #639
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:

That's how I would want to do it.
I really should do something. Sooner or later I'm gonna drop the thing and it will probably break a lever when I'm in BFE.
if your talking about taking out the threaded inserts just remember you will shorten the bars quite drastically. you will also need to move everything in towards the center/ cut your grips. or replace the bars... maybe I'm not reading that right?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #640
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
There are many plates out there. Some better, some not so. I've read about a SW Motech plate breaking behind the mounts:

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=7420.0

And I've seen this:

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,7616.0.html

Also not a really good design. Personally I have the AltRider rear rack which I use with a Givi Mounting Kit for my Givi V46 and it works fine. I avoid heavy stuff in there and for touring I prefer side cases plus a waterproof Ortlieb duffle, but day to day the Givi/AltRider combination works great for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #641
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
snip

So I'd need to get the Altrider plate and then the adapters from another source since RevZilla and others seem to be out of them. Hate to pay shipping but apparently I can't get everything from one vendor...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #642
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
So I'd need to get the Altrider plate and then the adapters from another source since RevZilla and others seem to be out of them. Hate to pay shipping but apparently I can't get everything from one vendor...
I got the plate from Revzilla and the Givi kit from AltRider. It's nearly a year ago though. They are both great to deal with. I had some trouble with the fitment first but AltRider send a new plate that then was absolutely perfect. Maybe their first "setup Tiger" had some unusual spacing there ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #643
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:

I want the rack to be black to match the Tiger and the SW Motech appears to only be available in Silver powdercoat on the TT site, but the pics show black.
There is a pretty big price difference in the difference plates and adapters.
Wolfman has one in black. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/...Top_Racks.html
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #644
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I thought those inserts looked fairly sturdy. I just did not like the small bolt. Its only purpose on the Roadie being to hold that bar end cap thingy on. I did stick a pair of needle nose pliers in the bar end and try to unscrew the stock insert. Couldn't get it to move. But the leverage I could get with pliers was minimal. I think they are plenty strong enough to hold the handguards if you drop the bike. I know mine are on there solid. If I crash hard enough to knock one of those handguards off then the broken handguard will probably be the least of my worries.

I still want to see someone remove them though. Just out of curiosity how they work.

I was looking for a way to avoid drilling and tapping. While I've had good success with that process I just thought removing those threaded inserts and using standard mounting expanders would be better. Then again, maybe not.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #645
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I did stick a pair of needle nose pliers in the bar end and try to unscrew the stock insert. Couldn't get it to move. But the leverage I could get with pliers was minimal.

Pliers???? Those things are in there tight. I do know they come out because a friend of mine got them out of his TEX bars. Just need to use the correct size spanner on those flats.