User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Benesesso OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Why Did Cord Get So Wierd?

Wasn't like that new. Any ideas why it got like this? Oops, weird, not wierd or even wired.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
KaHOnas
One big piston

Oddometer: 397
You overcooked it. Next time, try al dente.

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It's not an adventure unless you lose your pants.
KaHOnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
http://www.ehow.com/how_6934635_prop...sion-cord.html
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Wasn't like that new. Any ideas why it got like this? Oops, weird, not wierd or even wired.

You've always coiled your rope in the same direction, and uncoiled it w/o paying attention to the new winds you've been introducing. Your extension coil suffers the same fate that many rock climbers' ropes suffer when they don't pay attention to the handling when flaking out the line. You introduce twists between the core and sheath of the cord, like the twists you get between the core and sheath of a kernmantle rope. Try either uncoiling the cord fully each time removing kinks and twists as you go, or using a figure-eight flake when storing the cord to keep the twisting to a minimum when reaching for the rope the next time.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:29 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:

The three wires inside the orange cover are twisted around one another. If you stretch the cord it can un-twist the wires inside and cause it to get all funky looking like that. Did you use it under tension?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,487
throw it out and buy another.

but never, ever, coil it around your hand and elbow. That twists it all up -- as shown in the picture.

Coil it in long (width of your arms, 5-6 foot diameter) coils that hang loosely. Then wrap the last 3-5 feet around the big coils.

Here's a good tutorial:

http://lifehacker.com/5941388/how-to...nt-get-tangled
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
throw it out and buy another.

but never, ever, coil it around your hand and elbow. That twists it all up -- as shown in the picture....
Generally good advice for the un-initiated. But if you're diligent about introducing a turn with every coil, and diligent about flaking it out when you next reach for it, it doesn't matter whether you did the hand/elbow method or not. Out of laziness, I do the hand-elbow method all the time. But I'm also quite diligent about introducing the right amount of twist as I go, and I'm also quite diligent about flaking it out when I use it. Been doing it this way for years and years...never had a squiggly cord.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Benesesso OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. It was never pulled in tension, but I didn't know there's a wrong way to coil an extension cord/line.

I feel so dumb, having failed line storage 101.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:

Not a big deal...

I managed the ropes for a water ski show team in high school -- everything from 50' trick lines to 2,000' kite lines -- and we had about 200 of them. Had to get it right or the show wouldn't go on...

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Rock aqua?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,324
Dunno about weird, I think they are gorgeous.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
weird

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #13
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,382
The wires inside the outer jacket are layed typically in the right hand direction, therefore an extension cord should always be handled the same way you would handle a right layed line; coiled in a clockwise direction or faked (not flaked) for storage. If you want it to last, uncoil it the same amount prior to use so it won't get kinked.

See page 7-13.

http://compass.seacadets.org/pdf/nrtc/bmr/14325_ch7.pdf

I'd have to throw that one you have away just on principle, it would drive me nuts.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #14
Benesesso OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
The wires inside the outer jacket are layed typically in the right hand direction, therefore an extension cord should always be handled the same way you would handle a right layed line; coiled in a clockwise direction or faked (not flaked) for storage. If you want it to last, uncoil it the same amount prior to use so it won't get kinked.

See page 7-13.

http://compass.seacadets.org/pdf/nrtc/bmr/14325_ch7.pdf

I'd have to throw that one you have away just on principle, it would drive me nuts.
Throw it away? Hell no, it's 12 ga. Ain't like it's gonna burst into flames. Maybe if I coil it the other way (?) a few times it will un-kink? Guess I should stretch it out and give it a bunch of turns--that ought to fix it.

Knot tying was rough for me in Boy Scouts. I can tie a square know and a decent bowline, but that other stuff comes out NFG.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. It was never pulled in tension, but I didn't know there's a wrong way to coil an extension cord/line.

Don't be hard on yourself, especially since I have pretty clear evidence that all of this "correct technique" advice is bullshit. I keep five or six high quality cords hanging in my van for my work. I am the only person that handles the cords. I do not abuse them, I keep them clean, inspect them regularly, and replace them when they show damage. I wrap them by holding the coil with the right hand, and loose draping the cord in 4-5' loops in a clockwise direction. Uncoiling involves dropping them on the deck and walking away with the male end. Currently there are four yellow medium and HD cords that look great. There are two blue (low temp.) cords also. One is fine, another looks as bad as your pic. I have seen this happen repeatly over the last three decades. My framer has a pile of Orange ones that are totally spiralled and kinked, and others that look fine. His crew of apes could wreck a rock with a pillow, so it's not like they follow any cord protocol. Bottom line is that it isn't rope, you don't need to get all queer and follow some military regiment of cord wrapping, and field evidence seems to indicate that it's all about the product and how it was manufactured. Don't wrap them tight around your elbow, don't wrap them long, then "cinch" the middle with a tight wrap of the cord, don't do that stupid fucking daisy chain wrap. Use the cheap plastic cable cuffs to hold them together if you want to, I do and they work well.

That , my friend, is my daily dose of unsolicited, semi-useful information. That is all.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: