Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Lee Parks, ARC

Heya.

I'm FINALLY registering for Park's Advanced Riding Course. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near the places that Parks himself teaches, so I have to settle for the next best thing, and ride to Poughkeepsie, NY to one of the satellite schools.

They offer Level 1 and Level 2 course, one after another, Saturday / Sunday.

My question is; Is it ok to take both courses like this, or would it be much better to have some time between Level 1 and Level 2, to practice the skills?

I honestly would prefer to take both classes at the same time, but if anybody who took both levels, and from their personal experience would recommend taking some time to practice the skills from level 1 before going into level 2, I would heed to your advice.

Thanks.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
I took the level one and the corresponding "skills day" the next day.
I found it good to do the skills day. At the end of the training day I was quite board and tired of the repetition. The skills day allows you to practice what you learned without critique from the instructor unless you ask for it. You can do it as much as you want for as long as you want and as fast as you want. Much easier to concentrate on your form this way.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I don't really see the point of the skills day. If there is no critique from instructors, how is it different from basically renting their parking lot for training?

I'm more interested if its any hindrance to take Level 2 class, right after Level 1.
Their Level 2 class is only in May and September. So if I take Level 1 in May, I can either take Level 2, the following day, or wait until September.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Subscribed.

I was thinking of taking the MSF advanced course again in April (especially if I get a new bike this spring), but I may do this as well. I was actually just looking at the Poughkeepsie courses this morning. Am I correct in that it's $375 for the 1-day Level 1 course? If that's the case, I may just need to take the Level I in May / June and then maybe Level II later (looks like Sept may be the only Level 2 on the schedule after May...).
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Heya.

I'm FINALLY registering for Park's Advanced Riding Course. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near the places that Parks himself teaches, so I have to settle for the next best thing, and ride to Poughkeepsie, NY to one of the satellite schools.

Say "Hi!" to Christine for me! Just say "Seven Foot Tall Guy from NYC" -- she'll know who you're talking about.

I've taken ARC1, but never ARC2. Is the difference more than just the suspension segment?

TC-ARC is a lot of fun, and VERY useful to everyday riding!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

lmychajluk: Yup $375 for Level 1, one day.

wiseblood: haha, will do. Just had a nice chat with her on the phone, as a matter of fact.

Level 2 seems a bit more involved in addition to suspension setup.
Riding Psychology
Speed Shifting
Trail Braking into a Turn
Decreasing Arc Mid-Corner
Decreasing Radius Turns
Chassis Setup
Quick Stops
TC Solo

Either way, I figure two days with instructors is still pretty good.

Very excited.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
NtShiny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
TCARC Instructor here, you'll be tired at the end of the day and pissed that there are things you knew you can do better if you had just one more run....
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

As long as I get the material and exercises that I can practice on my own after the course, I'm happy.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Have fun! You will get it!

When I took Level I there was no Level II

I took Level I, practiced for a couple weeks and then did my first track day. All the things I learned in Level I were amazing, I later (A month later) came back and went through the instructor Class.

Lee is doing some Classes in New York (June I think) he is also teaching a couple with me in Toronto in June and he is also teaching in Kentucky in March.

Also keep in mind that every instructor for the Total Control program is personally trained by Lee Parks

outlaws justice screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 08:38 AM
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009

Oddometer: 392
Christine is an awesome instructor. You'll get a lot out of the class. When I took it, she and her ass't instructors helped out the skills drills folks on the other end of the range as well. Really worth the money and another whole level than MSF.

She'll probably make an offer to some of you to go a Ducati track day as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
millsan1
IBA #49986

Oddometer: 239
I took level 1 and 2 back to back. It was a tough two days. Given the chance, I would not do it again.

I was an assistant instructor this past weekend with Christine. Great experience.

I will be back with Christine on the 21st of this month, as an assistant again.

I have to practice my presentation of the course materials to qualify for the instructor training I am going to in 2 weeks.

If anyone would like to hear the presentation portion of the class, free, from a trainee, Lmk. There won't be any riding, but you will get the whole classroom portion.

Central/Northern NJ.

Pm me if interested.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
I took the intermediate riders course twice and passed with flying colors. Only ridden for 3 seasons and I'd like to take the advanced class soon
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
I was initially disappointed in the Level 1 class. I left and felt lucky that I hadn't paid full price for the class. I felt like it was a very small step above what I was already doing. It wasn't bad, just not near my expectations.

Then, I started riding. I found myself doing things different. I approached corners in a way that I hadn't before. I found myself really thinking differently. The more I rode, the more I realized how much I really learned at the class.

I took the class almost 2 years ago, and I still feel like it was very valuable and changed me for the better. I would take it again in a heartbeat.

As to your question though, I'm not sure I would take them on two consecutive days. I think the idea of a skills day is awesome. I just don't know about a second full day of new instruction would be as valuable as an open lot with coaches ready when you want them.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Good question. Prolly depends on 1) how much riding experience you have, 2) how aggressive a rider you are on the street, 3) how much you plan on pushing your limits during the course, and 4) what physical shape you're in.

I took the L1/L2 course back-to-back in Lexington, KY, several weeks ago. I've been riding for 45+ years and do a lot of 'fast' riding in the twisties (15-20+ over, but not gonzo insane). I thought the first day was a little slow-paced, but definitely learned enough new skills and pushed myself hard enough to feel it in the shoulders and back at the end of the day. The L2 class was more difficult and challenging and definitely showed me where I was lacking in the more advanced skills, and I was beat at the end of the day.

Some of the skills they teach on day 2 are more really more related to track/racing (i.e., clutchless upshifting) that aren't gonna necessarily translate to normal street riding--IMHO--unless you do a lot of street racing but when it's put all together, it makes sense as a package. In summary, as long as you have a strong base of experience with a minimum of several years street/dirt riding, I think you'll be fine whether you choose to do it together or separately. If you're a relative newb, I'd do L1 first and get a few more seasons in before you take the L2.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
G
Some of the skills they teach on day 2 are more really more related to track/racing (i.e., clutchless upshifting) that aren't gonna necessarily translate to normal street riding--
I would beg to differ on this point. Clutchless upshifting is not a track-only skill. I use it daily and it makes for MUCH smoother upshifts. I didn't realize this was taught at L2 and I'm impressed they do. It is a good skill to have in the toolbox.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote