Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Britome OP
Get Free

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
There was a guy stuck in Mexico asking for help, his bike won't run. He gets 5 pages of responses before it comes out he rebuilt his stator on his DR650 and that is his problem.

Sometimes it takes several posts just to find out what bike guys are talking about. Just saying.

Did you weld it or have a radiator shop do it?
Went to radiator shop and they couldn't weld aluminum. Went to another place and both mounts had stresses ou the rivets. So the ground the. Down, welded and then welded the brackets back on.

Did a pressure test with water and them rode it at high rpms and all looks good.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Britome OP
Get Free

I'm still a bit paranoid and may look for a used one as a back up.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
I thought you had one on order?

anyway, it is likely fixed.

I guess it was an old school radiator shop that could not weld aluminum.

it also seems like the cooler was a causality of the crash.
Was yours made by KTM? just curious?

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #19
Britome OP
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I thought you had one on order?

anyway, it is likely fixed.

I guess it was an old school radiator shop that could not weld aluminum.

it also seems like the cooler was a causality of the crash.
Was yours made by KTM? just curious?
Not sure who made the cooler. I had to got to a classic welding shop.

Unfortunately I noticed oil on my bike after the test ride and am not sure if it was left from the quart that sprayed all over my bike or if I still have a pin hole.

Either way, the new/used cooler had already shipped from England before I could call of the sale.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Britome OP
Get Free

Looks like the oil cooler weld is good and all the oil is from the quart that was sprayed and dripping lower. Odd thing is I have one persistent drop (not drip) that accumulates on the oil line where the metal meets the rubber. Not sure if i should be concerned.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #21
Britome OP
Get Free

That one persistent drop is a micro pinhole in the bottom of the oil cooler that I can't even see. I know it is there because I wrapped and zip tied paper towels around various segments of the oil system. I had seepage in the fore mentioned area.

I have a used cooler on the way. I just wish I hadn't wasted money at the welder.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Britome OP
Get Free

Excuse me for double posting but I want to make sure I have all eyes and all wisdom possible.

The used cooler from England came in and the mount was bent. It was in a zip lock bag with some oil from the inside running out into the bag and surrounding the cooler. (I'm in communication with the seller)

I decided to bolt it up and try it anyway. After blowing air and wiping out the external fins and ridges multiple times I decided to wrap a towel around it and run it at 4500 rpms with a fan blowing on the engine for 5 minutes. The pics below show the results.

Do you think this is old residue still working its way out or fresh oil from a hole?
alk.com/d/13/03/02/puna8e3e.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Britome OP
Get Free

Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Mr_J
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi,

It seems I have a pretty similar problem. I bought a used R1200GS last October, stored it for the winter and when I rode it for the first time last week end, some oil start leaking from the oil cooler. I lost about half a cup during a 3 miles ride.

I cleaned the oil from my bike and started it in my garage, after 10-15 mins, when the engine get warm (4 bars on the heat level) oil leaks from the rivets holes that holds the mounting bracket. After a couple test, using talc, it definitively come from the riveted plate, on the left side.

I thought about buying an used one, but you scared me with your story. I'll try to have mine fixed at a welding shop, it should be cheaper! and probably get both side welded.

Thanks for your tips!

JS
Mr_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,256
Personally, rather than wasting a bunch of time screwing around with used parts that you have no idea if they're good or not, I'd just drop the $300 for a new one and be done with it.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
Britome OP
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_J View Post
Hi,

It seems I have a pretty similar problem. I bought a used R1200GS last October, stored it for the winter and when I rode it for the first time last week end, some oil start leaking from the oil cooler. I lost about half a cup during a 3 miles ride.

I cleaned the oil from my bike and started it in my garage, after 10-15 mins, when the engine get warm (4 bars on the heat level) oil leaks from the rivets holes that holds the mounting bracket. After a couple test, using talc, it definitively come from the riveted plate, on the left side.

I thought about buying an used one, but you scared me with your story. I'll try to have mine fixed at a welding shop, it should be cheaper! and probably get both side welded.

Thanks for your tips!

JS
I'm glad to her that the thread has been helpful. I actually still wonder if the original one that i had welded is good. Maube i was seeing old oil switling around. Meanwhile the used one I bought that had a bent mount is actually holding oil. All is good.

It is all a matter of patience and if you enjoy wrenching. If you do, be creative. If not, hit the easy button and buy new. However, I think it is more than $300
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
It is all a matter of patience and if you enjoy wrenching. If you do, be creative. If not, hit the easy button and buy new. However, I think it is more than $300
That experience comes in handy when you are out in the middle of nowhere and have to go MacGyver on something to get home.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #28
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
That experience comes in handy when you are out in the middle of nowhere and have to go MacGyver on something to get home.

I totally agree, however he also said he was worried about it stranding him in the middle nowhere. You still get the wrenching experience installing new, known good parts and are less likely to have to MacGyver them together later because of a problem with a used part. Most folks don't part out operable bikes...so there was a problem somewhere. By the sounds of it, the used part came off a bike that was also involved in a front end collision judging my the bent mounting tabs...the same place the original cooler was leaking from. So, the metal there has been stressed, and will have to be further stressed to bend the tabs back...sounds dangerously close to the original condition.

I'm not trying to rag on anyone wanting to work on their own bikes, it's a great idea to know how your bike works. I just see so many folks coming through our shop that have their trips interrupted from simple things like this, and most say the same thing...I wish I would have just bought new parts to begin with (unless they're on a KLR...those guys love sitting around in the rain trying to piece scrap metal into bike parts it seems ).

I was incorrect on the cost of a new oil cooler (I had taken a guess at $300), they're actually $340.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-

AKtracks screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #29
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
I lucked upon a perfectly good used one in the flea market here a few year ago, it was under $50 shipped
and has been in service since, has not leaked a drop.

$340 for that small cooler is ridiculous

id rig a transmission cooler from an automatic transmission before going with new parts personally.

I understand the logic, fix it once and be done with it, but on a bike so long in the tooth, that doesnt make good economic sense to me.

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Yeah, I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Breaking down "in the middle of nowhere" here in Alaska really is the middle of nowhere...it might be a long, cold wait for someone to come along, and hiking 80 miles to the next gas station/village isn't an appealing option. Lack of cell coverage, combined with an abundance of mosquitoes and bears, makes me think that $340 is pretty cheap piece of mind.

-