Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Word from locals is that seasonal rains have flattened out all of the washes...
But that happens every year and the washes aren't the problem, it's the cross-grain that will never go away naturally.

I will not be there but I can say... I hope you guys get to race the old school section going north from 3/5/three poles/el chinero up to the Ventana road. It's different than what is always ran southbound and is an awesome technical fun section. It's also great to hear they're doing a new part south from Saldana to Hwy3.
You guys racing should be pumped.

And yes, absolutely makes sense that they shorten the course at the end for Sportsman entries to make it safer.
Years back before Sportsman classes they had the "Safari" classes that by-passed the harder sections. They should have kept that and not added sportsman classes, but that's just imo.

There are many issues with separating the bikes from cars, and it's not just dollars. It's mostly man-power.
It's OK if you're running JCR Pits because they only pit bikes and don't have to wait for cars, but they still have to get their volunteers to take 1 added week day off work.
But think of Baja Pits or M7, they have to set up crews a day earlier and likely those crews will stay for the duration. Do this times 3 races a year and your volunteers will dry up quickly.
Also for the awards and keeping people in the towns spending money after the bike race is done, yeah right, most racers and crews will be outta there. They all had to bump up their schedules by a day and sticking around costs money so why stay?
And how many of us stay at places that are Thurs/Fri/Sat minimums, so whats gonna happen with that when (for example) the Desert Inn or Las Palmas empty out on Saturday morning. Who's taking the hit on cost? Racers? Hotel?
There's a lot to consider.
I do see one HUGE positive thing with running bikes a day earlier... Some of us will get to sit in a shorter Border line on Saturday rather than Sunday.

It was said... "Is that what the 250 normally costs for pro and sportsman bike entries? Seems a little high, sportsman is the same as the loop 1000 in 08."
And then... "If it only takes 10k to make that happen add a couple hundred dollars to each entry and your there"

I'm not picking on anyone, though it often seems as if the guys entering Sportsman are trying to race on a super tight budget and adding any amount of $ to the entry will not be happily accepted.

I do like how they now have different levels of entry fee in the cars classes. A class 11 was paying the same as a trophy truck, that didn't make sense.

I've talked to Norman, he has some wacky ideas, he thinks on a different level than most or all of us here ($$). He wants to make the racing less expensive for the bikes. If I repeated some of what he said you'd scratch your head.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote