Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
stigmatic OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question Any recommendations for 3ish weeks in March?

Hey guys,
I have about 3 weeks off of work coming up...specifically, the first 3 weeks of March. I have no idea what I should do for it...so I thought I'd see if you guys had any recommendations for a ride.

Anyways. I am moving across country next week, and will have both my road bike and DR650 in the trailer (so potentially I could stage the DR650 somewhere, then come back for it after I finish moving, fly-and-ride style?). I am moving from Seattle to Florida (Cocoa Beach)...so I could pretty much swing through anywhere (although I am planning on heading south towards New Mexico first, then head east from there)

Where does one go off-road this time of year, anyways?

I'm up for anything, the crazier the better. The longest off-road trip I've done so far has been the WABDR (~600miles, 4 days). I've done plenty of road riding though, including two cross-country trips.

One question in particular...I think I know the answer to this, but is it at all possible to do the Continental Divide trail this time of year? I haven't quite looked in detail regarding the elevation this route gets too, but the distance seems about right for the amount of time I have. Or should I just stay further south where its warm...Maybe SoCal, Utah, NM, Arizona, etc...or heading south of the boarder? Baja? Copper Canyon? Would northern Mexico even be safe for a single gringo traveler?

Anyways, thanks. Looking forward to hearing what creative ideas you guys come up with.
stigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
ratsnest
mnbmwthumper

Oddometer: 6
Wish I had 3 weeks and nothing to do, have you ever seen the movie, cycles south? Not that its going to help you make plans but its worth watching. You can find the full movie on netflex
ratsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
stigmatic OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb cycles south

No, I haven't...I'll have to check that out. I am not ashamed to admit it...Long Way Round is what got me interested in adventure riding (and what ultimately lead me to finding this awesome website!). So I'm always up for good motorcycle movies/documentaries.

But yeah. I am in the navy, so I almost never get this kinda time off...usually its 2 weeks max, and that only comes whenever my command says so. Makes it hard to do any kind of serious adventure riding. So I really want to capitalize now!
stigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Stop and spend some time at Big Bend, then go on to Florida.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
I agree with Ace, Big Bend in the spring is nice...the weather may not be so unpredictable as it can be a bit further north. Which ever way you go, you are bound to have fun.

Oh, and thanks for your service as well....
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Death Valley
Southeastern AZ
Baja
Copper Canyon
Big Bend

Any of the above would be great riding in early March.

If you're not up for Baja or Copper Canyon, then maybe stop at Death Valley and explore the area on the DR650 for a week or so, and then move on to Big Bend for another week of exploring on the DR650. That, along with the time it takes to drive to FL could take up most of the three weeks, and would be awesome!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Some excellent suggestions here. I think it makes a lot of sense to do your off-road riding on the way to Florida.

And as you can imagine, the CDR in March would be snowed in. I really like kokuban's suggestion of heading down to Death Valley and parking the truck in say Panamint Springs or Furnace creek and riding your DR over to Titus Canyon and some of the other cool DV off road stuff. And then heading over to Big Bend National Park in Tejas for some more off road riding.

It would save time and money having to park and fly back.

Just some thoughts.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
Another vote for Big Bend! And Death Valley. Also, consider Anza Borrego in southern California. All of these areas are just about perfect in March.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Da season and temps kind of thing...

Look at elevation and latittude this time of year.

Push or take advantage of a good weather pattern at your own risk...roll the dice...

Have a great trip.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,256
You can ride the CDR up to about US60 in NM (a long ways) from Antelope Wells to about Apache Creek, NM. Lots of ranch roads and 2 tracks around Deming,NM and also great riding in Dragoon Mtns in AZ (Desert Daze ,St. Patricks Day wknd). Don't expect WA like trails down here. They are 2 tracks and plowed co rds mostly.Like some have said you need to watch your altitude. That is what stops you on the Northern CDR as you begin to go above 7K ft a lot in No NM and of course CO. Remember that March is very windy in NM but will be warm. If you get near Deming NM and want to ride we will be here to take you out riding. You can PM me.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,326
If I were moving to Florida, I would want to see mountains and desert before I went. I like the idea of heading down the coast or California Gold Country on the way the Death Valley. Titus Canyon is great, and this is the time of year to do it. Then head east to Big Bend on the way to Florida.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote