ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #346
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

I always carry my siphon hose! So Ben what exactly is your Husky year and model? My 650 is not looking so bulky and low to the ground now after looking at yours! Thanks for the encouragement. So that bike has been up Elephant Hill and Bobby's ?
Haha sure thing, Its an 03' 610e. I was not joking when I said it is probably a 400+lbs bike when loaded. Ya its done this route before with no problems, just throw a skid plate on it and hang on

Chris...
I bet the 525 will be a blast on this ride. Although I still love the XRRs, nice bike Atomic
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #347
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,869
I am thinking of a pair of these lights to put some ram mounts so that I can run my front number plate. Might run one spot and one flood. Does anyone have experience with the DDM LED lights?

HellSickle screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:06 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #348
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I am thinking of a pair of these lights to put some ram mounts so that I can run my front number plate. Might run one spot and one flood. Does anyone have experience with the DDM LED lights?
Jeff, I've been looking at LEDs and that a pretty good price for a POD. I saw 3W and thought it might not be enough but saw it has 6 instead of the usual 4. I wonder if the LED can be replaced with 5W units, they are pretty cheap individually. Were you going to do a spot/flood combo. I browsed their site and they have some other off-road LEDs that look pretty nice also, 2000 Lumens

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #349
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
How far out will those project? Are they more of a flood type pattern to be used in conjunction with a light that really projects?

They look like a great way to add some much needed lighting to the husky. It is downright dangerous as is
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #350
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Jeff, I've been looking at LEDs and that a pretty good price for a POD. I saw 3W and thought it might not be enough but saw it has 6 instead of the usual 4. I wonder if the LED can be replaced with 5W units, they are pretty cheap individually. Were you going to do a spot/flood combo. I browsed their site and they have some other off-road LEDs that look pretty nice also, 2000 Lumens
Yes, I was thinking of putting on one flood and one spot pattern light. When I am not using the auxiliary front tank on my 450, I would have my 55 W HID light. I could supplement that with a flood light mounted on a ram mount on my bars. I doubt that you would just be able to swap out LEDs. The thermal demands for high powered LEDs require that they be integrated into a circuit board with heavy copper planes and that the board be properly heat sinked to the outer housing.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #351
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Yes, I was thinking of putting on one flood and one spot pattern light. When I am not using the auxiliary front tank on my 450, I would have my 55 W HID light. I could supplement that with a flood light mounted on a ram mount on my bars. I doubt that you would just be able to swap out LEDs. The thermal demands for high powered LEDs require that they be integrated into a circuit board with heavy copper planes and that the board be properly heat sinked to the outer housing.
I have a soldering iron

Seriously though, the hipower LEDs I've seen are soldered to a heat sink which was as you described, a piece of copper, the fiber circuit board was adjacent but not soldered directly, some used a pressure contact, some were a connector to a small modular regulator. The bulb's housing was (-) and soldered to the heatsink, the (+) was another type connection. I looked into making one a while back, it's pretty easy but you don't get the heatsink/waterproof housing and the reflectors are iffy. One like that is the way to go. If you get them I'd be interested to see what they look like inside. I've seen some pretty impressive lighting come from LEDs.

I'm thinking of making one beam of my X2 a HID, TT sells the small ballasts and reflector/bulb assys. I rarely use the lights but the few times I've gotten caught, I sure wish I had more light.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #352
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
I have a soldering iron

Seriously though, the hipower LEDs I've seen are soldered to a heat sink which was as you described, a piece of copper, the fiber circuit board was adjacent but not soldered directly, some used a pressure contact, some were a connector to a small modular regulator. I looked into making one a while back, it's pretty easy but you don't get the heatsink/waterproof housing and the reflectors are iffy. One like that is the way to go. If you get them I'd be interested to see what they look like inside. I've seen some pretty impressive lighting come from LEDs.

I'm thinking of making one beam of my X2 a HID, TT sells the small ballasts and reflector/bulb assys. I rarely use the lights but the few times I've gotten caught, I sure wish I had more light.
You sound like the Red Green of the electronics world. I've done a lot of thermal design for microelectronics. If the LED crystal is directly soldered to a heatsink, then I imagine you will be SOL.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #353
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
You sound like the Red Green of the electronics world.
More like blue cheese, 20yrs chasing trons in the Navy. These lights are simple compared to some of the stuff they'd drop on my bench.

They're a small modules about 4mm x 4mm that has solder flats located on the back. The solder areas are pretty large compaired to circuit boad work for heat transfer. Depending on the design, it can even be a drop in module with no soldering required. The heat sink is drilled and the solder attachment is done by flowing solder through those holes. The Lens, decent housing and a securely mounted driver are the biggest obsticles to a good LED light, emitters are the easy part. Some suppliers offer bin matched LEDs like what BD advertises on their lights. I'm never satisfied with something out of the box, I've got to pull it apart and try to break it

RideFreak screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 10:08 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #354
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
20yrs chasing trons in the Navy.
Red tape keeps the electrons in and black tape keeps them out--right
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #355
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Red tape keeps the electrons in and black tape keeps them out--right
Smoke means they leaked out perminately

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #356
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Trons

Quote:
Smoke means they leaked out perminately
Yea I did that one time with a metal watch band--they sure come out quick and a lot of smoke
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #357
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,068
On a side note how early in the season do Elk Mountain Rd, Wooden Shoe Rd open/become viable?

Is Easter too early?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #358
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
On a side note how early in the season do Elk Mountain Rd, Wooden Shoe Rd open/become viable?

Is Easter too early?
Easter is generally too early.. Might be different this year. Monticello BLM will have your answers.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #359
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,068
Thx
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #360
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Is Easter too early?
Not sure what it is about parts of that entire dirt road from Dugout Ranch off of hwy 211 (Canyonlands Needles) all the way over to Elk Ridge down to Natural Bridges. It has some of the worst mud sections I've seen in that whole area when there's a little snow or rain. I think the deepest ruts caused by 4X4's I've ever seen have been on that stretch. Even after they've dried out, many of them are like concrete curbs for miles sometimes. I've driven in and around mountains a lot after a rain, but I think that area has the worst dirt and mud I've encountered. Even mid-May can suck at times depending on conditions. When dry and without those dried concrete ruts, it's a fast superhighway. I met Cross-country head-on on a stretch of that road a couple of years ago, and I bet we were closing on each other at about 90-100 mph.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote