User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #646
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Uni pre filter group buy

We have another group buy going on for the UNI pre filter for extending the life of the stock air filter. We are closing the group buy and placing the order at the end of February next week. If anyone is interested in joining this group buy or is looking for more information here is a link to the page. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...818121&page=14
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #647
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I got the plate from Revzilla and the Givi kit from AltRider. It's nearly a year ago though. They are both great to deal with. I had some trouble with the fitment first but AltRider send a new plate that then was absolutely perfect. Maybe their first "setup Tiger" had some unusual spacing there ...

Looks I can get it all from AltRider. That may be the way to go.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #648
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Yes, you can. That's what I did. I even got the Givi V46 from them. The plates are solid and the top case can be mounted and unmounted within seconds. I would highly recommend this setup. One small thing I noted are some poke marks at the back end of the plate where the box seems to be poking the plate somehow. Still need to investigate this further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #649
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
if your talking about taking out the threaded inserts just remember you will shorten the bars quite drastically. you will also need to move everything in towards the center/ cut your grips. or replace the bars... maybe I'm not reading that right?
I just checked the exploded view of the bars in my service manual and it appears that is exactly what you would have to do. This explains a lot as I thought the inner threaded part really looked to be machined or cast directly to the bar. But it appears the entire end spins off and would shorten the bars.

Quote:
browneye Today 12:47 PM

I was looking for a way to avoid drilling and tapping. While I've had good success with that process I just thought removing those threaded inserts and using standard mounting expanders would be better. Then again, maybe not.
Yes the drilling and tapping was a little more time consuming than I wanted to spend but it's winter here in Michigan and I did not have anything else to do. But I do not think you should worry. Those stock ends seem very sturdy. I just wanted the larger bolt for more thread grip and the counter sunk head to fit properly in the guard.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #650
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Pliers???? Those things are in there tight. I do know they come out because a friend of mine got them out of his TEX bars. Just need to use the correct size spanner on those flats.
I thought I might get chastised about the pliers comment a little. I just happened to have them in my hand and thought I would try. Not realizing the entire bar end is all one piece. Anyway I'm glad I didn't break it free it. I am guessing the grip would have to come off first anyway?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #651
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I am going with the AltRider also and noticed the same thing with Revzilla not having the stock. To bad because it would save me close to 20 bucks shipping getting it from Revzilla.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #652
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I am going with the AltRider also and noticed the same thing with Revzilla not having the stock. To bad because it would save me close to 20 bucks shipping getting it from Revzilla.
Just placed my order for everything from AltRider. I will still get it. it will still work. Just cost more... had some Zilla points with Revzilla that I can't seem to find anything to use them on. Oh well... ride on!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #653
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
One small thing I noted are some poke marks at the back end of the plate where the box seems to be poking the plate somehow. Still need to investigate this further.
I've added a few more rubber bumpers on the bottom of the case to also prevent rattling a bit better. Works quite well now. Although I will buy a smaller top case in the near future as the V46 feels "like a small planet following you" (Quote from somebody here on ADV Rider, forgot who it was).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #654
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
So what is the best way to mount a Givi Monokey case on a 800XC? ...

I want the rack to be black to match the Tiger and the SW Motech appears to only be available in Silver powdercoat on the TT site, but the pics show black.
There is a pretty big price difference in the difference plates and adapters.
Another option is the CJ Designs tail rack, which I've got on my Tiger (and which is made by an ADV inmate, cjracer).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752050

Excellent piece of kit. Very sturdy and stable.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #655
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
+1 on the CJDesigns tail rack. I mounted my Pelican case by putting carriage bolts through the slotted as shown in the attached thread. Makes for a very secure lockable case.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #656
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
Just received my black AltRider rack from Revzilla. Very nice!

The free shipping and Zilla points/$ (essentially 5% store credit -- $5 for every $100 spent) is also nice...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #657
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 452
Anyone have the AltRider crash bars? Don't recall seeing any when reading through the various threads. Ya, need to search....
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #658
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Anyone have the AltRider crash bars? Don't recall seeing any when reading through the various threads. Ya, need to search....
You mean these?

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #659
deptom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
If you want to use the TT upper bars instead of returning them, then you need to install the rear bolt first. This bolt screws into the motor, so try not to mess anything up. I left it touching, but not tight. The next bolt is the other motor mount. This bolt uses a nut so you only have to worry about the threads on the bolt. It is possible, but it's your choice. After those two bolts are in, the rest is easy. Just make sure you don't have clearance issues after your finished. I had to adjust mine a bit. The forks hit & the triple tree hit. Now, everything fits & clears.
Followed your advise Rob Dirt. Had to ask a couple of mates to help me out with the install together with a few other TT farkles.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #660
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Thumb Saddlemen Seat

I wanted to let you guys know about the Saddlemen one piece seat I just purchased from Revzilla.
I'm a big guy and the riders portion of the stock two piece seat is too short for me (front to back). My butt is partially on the passenger seat, which after 30 minutes feels like I'm leaning on a sawhorse.

Because the riders portion of the Saddlemen seat tapers back about 1 1/2", it is MUCH more comfortable.

Here's a shot of the seat.

Very well made, very comfortable. I've bought a lot of farkles and this is the one I am most happy with.
The only thing I thought might be a drawback was that it does not have the option to be placed in the higher position like the stock seat. It only mounts in the low position, but turned out not to be a problem at all.

The seat installed straight out of the box. No hardware to move over from the stock seat.
The weather has only allowed me to get out for an hour ride last week and that was the most comfortable ride I have taken on the Tiger.