Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #1756
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I shouldn't really care about my star ratings, but I can't help it. Two people gave me 1 star ratings and dropped me down to 4.79. WTH?

I guess it was the pot pics. Probably not a good idea. Or maybe my failed attempts at paparazzi shots.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I am just trying to report what I find.
Juan, mi Amigo,

I've been popping in everyday here (and sometimes even a few times a day) to see the next batch of your reports. I would give you 50 stars if I could, for being so real and so humble at the same time. You keep me alive while I have that behind my window:

Not that I dont like winter :)

Ride on ! There's a whole bunch here following your adventures.

And if you need anything - just give us a shout.

Su amable Mario.

mario33 screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 04:22 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #1757
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 310
Juanito excelente RR !! thanks for all those tales and pics of LA !!
Saludos amigo
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #1758
midlifecry
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Add another 5 stars for a great read

5 stars is the least I can do for the great journey you're sharing. I was in Colombia 30 plus years ago and am really enjoying it again through your reports. Tayrona was a highlight for me. Beautiful beaches and some cool ruins that took a few hours hiking to get to.
Thanks again,
mlc
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1759
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Took off from Santa Marta this morning around 9 or 10. Heading down the street in the historic district:

Went down to the malecon and took some pics of the harbor:

I didn't catch the name of this Spanish conquistador:

As with all cities, the historic district is the most visually interesting. Santa Marta is a port town and it was actually fun riding through the barrios as well. Weaving through the traffic on a little dirt bike is always fun.

I don't have a very good map of Colombia. It didn't have Taganga or Tayrona, so I just hit the main road to Riohacha that wound up into the mountains from the flat plains. Really nice riding. Arid hills that reminded me of the dry side of the Big Island of Hawaii. Lots of scrub trees and bougainvillea with some pink blooming trees that I am not familiar with. I saw a sign to Pueblito and remember trespalacios had recommended heading there so stopped for a coke and asked the owner if it was possible to ride a dirt bike up there. He said I could probably make it the first 5 or 6 kilometers. Pretty rough road:

He was right. After 5 or 6 kilometers with no tire tracks, I determined that this was more of a mule trail. Decided it was too early in the morning to die, and turned back to the highway. I had missed the way to Taganga and headed back to find the road. It was across the railroad tracks. Had to stop for this rail repair rig:

The road wound up into the hills:

Headed down this side road:

to a private beach:

before heading back up and down to Taganga. Here is the first glimpse you get heading into town:

Beautiful area with a relaxed vibe. Looks like a Greek isle. Not that I've been to Greece. But I read plenty of National Geographic mags growing up:

Here is where I'm staying up on the cliffs overlooking the bay. Hostel Techos Azules. I'm into blue technology:

Here is the only cajero automatico in town to get money. Right as you enter on the left:

Down on the beach plenty of restaurants to hang out and watch the world go by:

Actually it's all dive shops and tourist oriented places down at the beach. It you head up the hill on the back roads you will find the real people:

The prices are half up the hill in the grocery stores and local eateries.

more later…..
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #1760
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 688
Quote:

to a private beach:

before heading back up and down to Taganga. Here is the first glimpse you get heading into town:

Nice!! As a teenager living in Santa Marta I'd go with my friends to Taganga on the weekends, armed with goggles and snorkels, riding two up on a honda c70 semi automatic scooter wearing shorts and flip flops (ATGATT now though). These views made my day Juanito. Gracias

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories

trespalacios screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 12:46 PM
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1761
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Nice!! As a teenager living in Santa Marta I'd go with my friends to Taganaga on the weekends, armed with goggles and snorkels, riding two up on a honda c70 semi automatic scooter wearing shorts and flip flops (ATGATT now though). These views made my day Juanito. Gracias
Hola trespalacios,

What a fun childhood you had! This place is heaven on earth. 95º with a stiff off shore breeze cooling things off. Honda70 semi-automatic was what I first rode as a teenager. Two up you were dogging it, I guarantee. Those are some steep hills to ride over with a load.

Thanks to you and SS in Vzla and others for recommending this place. It is awesome!

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Taganga

JDowns screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 03:09 PM
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #1762
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecry View Post
5 stars is the least I can do for the great journey you're sharing. I was in Colombia 30 plus years ago and am really enjoying it again through your reports. Tayrona was a highlight for me. Beautiful beaches and some cool ruins that took a few hours hiking to get to.
Thanks again,
mlc
Hi midlifecry,

So glad to have you along for the memories. I will be heading to Tayrona as soon as I can tear myself away from Tagonga. It's awfully nice here. It is the off season I think, so I am the only one here in the hostel. Here is my office for the afternoon:

and the hammocks on the terrace overlooking the bay for hanging out in if you care to:

Get back down here would you?
Colombia is calling.

Saludos,
Juan Tayrona
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #1763
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97 View Post
Juanito excelente RR !! thanks for all those tales and pics of LA !!
Saludos amigo
Hola Mario,

I am just doing the research and exploring for your next ride. South America is calling. It's not that far from San Salvador to Colombia. I can see you and Fernanda down here tearing around the mountains and beaches.

Abrazos amigo,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 03:10 PM
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #1764
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Juan, mi Amigo,

I've been popping in everyday here (and sometimes even a few times a day) to see the next batch of your reports. I would give you 50 stars if I could, for being so real and so humble at the same time. You keep me alive while I have that behind my window:

Not that I dont like winter :)

Ride on ! There's a whole bunch here following your adventures.

And if you need anything - just give us a shout.

Su amable Mario.
Hola Mario,

Poland looks fabulous in the winter. Of course, I'd have to put studs on the Sherpa. Maybe summer would be a better time to visit.

The only Polish folks I've had the pleasure of meeting on this trip have been my kind of people. I'm talking to you Tomski and bro from Oklahoma. I'm going to have to visit the fatherland soon. Or motherland as the case may be.

Saludos,
Juan Polski
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #1765
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay Rider View Post
Please don't self censor and filter the reality of your experience to please a few narrow minded bigots. Your unbiased observations are what makes this one of the most entertaining and informative ride reports I've ever read.
I am in awe of your open minded level of Zen.

Keep it real, Juan! And stay safe.
Hi DeeJay Rider,

So glad to have you along. Self censoring doesn't seem to be my forte. I will continue reporting back what I find on the roads less traveled.

Muchas gracias amigo,
ObeeJuanKanobee
Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #1766
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
Hi John,

I checked in with you a couple of weeks back (I think I was on page 15 at the time) and have been slowly reading every word, not just of you but this great supportive community. I'm getting back into bikes after doing the family thing (wife and three teenagers). Long story short, a few years back my son kept asking for a bike. There were many reasons I kept saying no. One is living in the NY area, there simply aren't a lot of places to ride (legally). But I think the main reason was I realized what a nut I was on mine and didn't want him to hurt himself (boy do I sound like my parents). My parents wanted nothing to do with me having a bike but they said if I used my own cash... Well that's all they had to say. Bought a used Honda xr75 when I was about 13 and then a bunch of bikes till I was in my early 20s. A good friend of mine was selling his sons crf80 for a good price so I said "sure". He was also selling his beat klx125 and said I should buy it and ride with him because I would be bored just watching my son. I bought both and it was frigin magic. I remembered how much I really loved it. Since then my son is now 17 and into cars, so we don't ride the bikes much, but its really rescinded my love for bikes. Since then I've owned a 2003 f650gs, then a 97 r100gs. Neither bike felt just right, so I'm planning on a vstrom 650 as my next attempt at finding the "right" bike. My longest trip to date is a week, but I can dream an you have to start somewhere :-)

As everyone has mentioned, your way of traveling is how I wish I could travel. I'm speaking of mental attitude here. Literally going with the flow and "dancing" with the "problems" as they come up. Truly an inspiration.

One more note: you keep mentioning how people are so kind. You also ,emotion how others have warned you about places being dangerous. I truly believe that you draw to you the energy you are putting out. If you are always looking for the good in people, then that is what your experience will be. If you are always thinking "somebody is going to do me wrong" then that is what you will draw to awards you. So, i guess you could say that everyone that travels the same path will have a completely different experience because of the state of mind they are in. And I think this is the secret to your success. Always seeing the good in people and always looking at what you can "give".

Look out for another meal and tank of gas in your pm.

Thank again John, will be checking in every day and thanks again for your story!

-gene
Hi Gene,

Thanks so much! Really appreciate your kindness. Glad to see you are getting back into riding with your son. What fun! You are a fortunate man.

I would appreciate it if you could buy a weestrom pronto and get down here. The riding is epic and the people are friendly.

Kindest regards,
Juan Viajero
Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #1767
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,539
Quote:
... Juan Amante de Latinos
Cuidado!

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #1768
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,938
Hey Juan, I figure I better share this with you since you're roaming the Colombian coast now, watch those tier 5 women.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #1769
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Hey Juan, I figure I better share this with you since you're roaming the Colombian coast now, watch those tier 5 women.

Wow, talk about degrading women.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #1770
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Closed Thread